• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

DC AG Should Follow VA AG & Declare Open Carry a Universal Human Right!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

[align=center]OpenCarry.org[/align]
[align=center]For Immediate Release – October 1, 2008[/align]

[align=center] [/align]
[align=center]
DC Attorney General Should Follow VA AG[/b][/align]
[align=center]& Declare Open Carry a Universal Human Right in our Nation’s Capital[/b][/align]
[align=center]------------------------------[/align]
[align=left]On September 26, 2008 Virginia Attorney General Bob McDonnell issued an official opinion striking down a Virginia Department of Conservation regulation banning the open carry of handguns in state parks and certain other state lands.[1] Open carry in Virginia's local and regional parks has long been legal.

McDonnell grounded his action substantially on the principle that “[a] person’s right to carry a firearm openly is considered universal within the Commonwealth.”[2] The open carry of holstered handguns is allowed in 44 states, and only 14 of those states require any permit to open carry.[3]

OpenCarry.org calls upon DC Attorney General Peter Nickles to follow General McDonnell’s lead and declare open carry to be a universal right (not subject to licensure) in our nation’s capital just like it is in nearby Virginia and most states. DC residents should not have to come to Virginia just to open carry their firearms.[/align]
[align=left]###

Media Contacts:
Mike Stollenwerk/Mike@OpenCarry.org
John Pierce/John@OpenCarry.org

[1] See [url]http://www.oag.state.va.us/OPINIONS/2008opns/08-043-Cuccinelli.pdf[/url].

[2] The VA AG Opinion also cites to Heller v. District of Columbia’s[/i][/b] discussion of the historic right to open carry arms.

[3] See [url]http://www.opencarry.org/opencarry.html[/url]. [/align]

KS_to_CA

imported post

This topic might have been covered here someplace but being a newbie, I haven't come across it yet.

How about a National Open Carry Day Parade? Is it feasible? It would probably raise awareness the same way the first gay rights parade did.

Anyone?

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

KS_to_CA wrote:
This topic might have been covered here someplace but being a newbie, I haven't come across it yet.

How about a National Open Carry Day Parade? Is it feasible? It would probably raise awareness the same way the first gay rights parade did.

Anyone?

Minor versions of open carry parades has been done from time to time, and that's OK- I generally think that folks should just open carry in everyday life - this is the way open carry gets "re-normalized" into society. If you have to hold a parade or march to open carry, then you are sort of saying - hey this is not normal, we are afraid to do it alone, so here we are a big armed bunch!

But open carry ISgetting normalized - even the Washington Post does not gasp at open carry any more - they incorporate it now into their news stories as interesting news hooks! See, e.g., http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/30/AR2008093002734.html?wpisrc=newsletter.

SNIP

Up in Arms Over the Right to Shoot Varmints
In Culpeper, a Showdown Over Guns, Gardens and Groundhogs

By David A. Fahrenthold
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, October 1, 2008; Page B01

CULPEPER, Va. -- When Mayor Pranas Rimeikis walked into the council chamber and saw it filled with armed men -- guns tucked inside jackets, guns on hips, some people packing their heat so openly they "looked like Pancho Villa" -- he knew his town had inadvertently touched the third rail of far-exurban politics.

Varmints. And the shooting thereof.

During the past two months, a proposal that sounded obvious to the new police chief -- prohibiting Culpeper residents from opening fire on their own gardens -- has brought an unexpected uproar to this town at the far edge of Washington's commuter diaspora. . . .

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

KS_to_CA wrote:

Anyone?
Welcome to OCDO - good to have you here.

Yeaa, the general idea has been mentioned a time or two but VA's AG having just issued his statement is what prompted Mike's response, specific to D.C.

Mike is one of the originators, owners and moderators of OCDO. IMO he is amongst the most knowledge of persons on the subject. It is not likely that he would post something redundantly.

I mention this not to criticise you but to bring you up to speed on one of the participants here.

Suggest starting a "New Topic" if you wish re A National OC Day which has been bantered about a bit - but never seriously considered. Bear in mind the extremely varied state laws particularly like NY, NJ, Il to name a few.
See http://gunlaws.com/links/index.htm for source info.
The state by state approach is more effective since it is the respective state and local level politicians that set the level of the bar.

Yata hey