• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

We're going to Norfolk City Council, again!

Thundar

imported post

VA-ALERT: ACTION ITEM: Norfolk City Council meeting!

From Philip Van Cleave

ACTION ITEM:

As you might recall, Norfolk paid VCDL member Danladi Moore $10,000 for unlawfully harassing him for openly carrying a gun. The check was barely in the bank when the Norfolk police did it to him again on a Norfolk bus, as was detailed in the VCDL mini-update on September 22nd.

You would think that Norfolk would have learned their lesson (don't forget that Chet Szymecki and his wife, Deborah, each still have lawsuits against Norfolk in federal court over Chet's unlawful arrest last year in Norfolk, too).

We need you to join us next Tuesday, October 7th, as we tell City Council that these repeated violations are not acceptable.

As Ian Fleming wrote in the James Bond novel, "Goldfinger" - "Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, the third time is enemy action."

Tidewater - you are great at huge turnouts (we had over 100 last time we did this). Can we have another big turnout to make sure our message is clear yet again?

I plan to be there at 6:30 PM and will hand out the "Guns Save Lives" stickers so all of us will be easily identified as part of the same group.

If you want to speak, you will need to sign up before the meeting starts at 7 PM. But even if you don't speak, your presence is critical to underscore our message that we expect Norfolk to respect our rights. I will ask those who agree with me to stand during my comments.

It will be interesting to see if City Councilman Riddick will shamefully turn his back on his constituents and leave the room like he did the last time we tried to redress our grievances over this same issue.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Three (3) seats available from Richmond - will not ask for, but willing to accept donations for gas money. I'm going anyway, so why not open up available space.

If you ride with me you must be prepared to wait about 2 minutes for the guard to walk across the lobby and open up the handicapped access doors. Last time there he was very pleasant about it and beat me to the doors on exiting the building.

If you have a barbeque or courtgun this is an occassion to wear it. http://thelawdogfiles.blogspot.com/2006/03/court-guns-and-bbq-guns.htmland http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=196979

stay safe.

skidmark

bayboy42

imported post

The pre-meeting dinner will occur where? I enjoyed Freemason Abbeys last time and missed the recent OCDO event there so thats my vote....but I'll eat just about anything.:exclaim:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ProShooterhas asked a very important question, as well as making a really stupid comment.

Of importance - where will the pre-bloodbath dinner be held? Freemason's Abbey is convenient & well-used to seeing a herd of Open Carry folks come in. They will move tables to adjust for the size of the group, especially if we have reservations.

I'm going to start a separate thread on the pre-meeting dinner. Respond there if interested.

stay safe.

skidmark.

CRF250rider1000

imported post

Freemason Abbey's was amazing last week. Our waitress was even a frequent reader of the site. The food was very good too. They sucker you into buying the delicious cheesecakes:p Just make sure to call ahead.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
skidmark wrote:
ProShooterhas asked a very important question
Someone has to ask the important questions in life....
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles......"

"Why stand we here idle? ............ I know not what course others may take; but as for me.........." I point to the east - Norfolk, Tuesday, October 7th.

And you?

Yata hey

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

I heard Norfolk demands ID to enter city hall or else they photogrpagh you - folks who are sterile carrying might want to object to this protocol.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Mike wrote:
I heard Norfolk demands ID to enter city hall or else they photogrpagh you - folks who are sterile carrying might want to object to this protocol.
Anybody that has been there before? Chime in please. Do they record the info?

Sounds like the state capital event all over again. Have to wonder by what authority and whether such is extra-legal. It is a "public meeting" is it not? Would seem at first blush to violate preemption unless everybody (sterile included) were IDd - then perhaps violation of no legitimate right to demand ID - unless CCing - which I won't be.

Yata hey

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles......"

"Why stand we here idle? ............ I know not what course others may take; but as for me.........." I point to the east - Norfolk, Tuesday, October 7th.

And you?

Yata hey
Hamlet and Henry.....good choices....

ScottyT

imported post

Mike wrote:
That is ridiculous! I would be so tempted to give them the bird while they take my picture, but that might hurt the more important goals of the evening.

Give 'em hell! I will be with you in spirit!

bayboy42

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Mike wrote:

Sounds like the state capital event all over again. Have to wonder by what authority and whether such is extra-legal. It is a "public meeting" is it not? Would seem at first blush to violate preemption unless everybody (sterile included) were IDd - then perhaps violation of no legitimate right to demand ID - unless CCing - which I won't be.

Yata hey
To my recollection, they didn't do either when we went in support of Danbus and Renegade last summer.....Bubba Ron....Dutch.....DesertDoc....do any of you recall any differently?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

bayboy42 wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
Mike wrote:

Yata hey
To my recollection, they didn't do either when we went in support of Danbus and Renegade last summer.....Bubba Ron....Dutch.....DesertDoc....do any of you recall any differently?
There is a "policy" of asking visitors to sign in if they are going to a specific person or office, but it was explained to me at the Danbus/Chet show-our-support event that there is no sign-in for public meetings.

That being said, there were an awful lot of folks who seemed to be signing in & out. I was not among those, and I certainly called enough attention to myself by insisting that they open the handicapped access entrance for me.

One might, as was done at the Crime Commission meeting, politely (buy firmly if need be) ask under what authority they demand you sign in & out, and then ask to see the cited authority in writing. Holding a digital voice recorder up seemed to expedite the resolution of the matter with the Capitol Police. It might do the trick at Norfolk City Hall too. :uhoh:

See you at Norfolk City Hall.

Still have two (2) seats open. Shotgun has been called already.

stay safe.

skidmark

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

I believed I signed in at the prior large gathering there, but I don't remember if ID was requested.

At the time, I didn't mind signing in with the many others, as I was thinking that a few pages full of names would add to the record our show of support.

Sheriff

imported post

Thundar wrote:
You would think that Norfolk would have learned their lesson....
I'm sorry, but I honestlythink certain policeofficers couldn't care less. It's not money out of their pocket, the taxpayers foot the bill for any and all damages in most cases. But.... if a jury were to award Danbus about $50,000 in punitive damages some day, and the city refuses to back up the officer(s), this is the only thing that will wake up the officers. Officers have to pay punitive damages if not insured or if the city refuses to pay for them.

Does it surprise me they messed with him again? No. Would it surprise me if they mess with him again and again and again? No. Do I think they will eventually find a serious crime to charge Danbus with? Yes. Do I think this serious crime will be a completely bogus setup? Yes. Ya see folks, some police officers never get over an award being paid out to a plaintiff. Ya see, it's pretty much the same thing as "contempt of cop". The award means you have beat them at their own game. And you beat them at their own game because they did said or did something wrong.

Without going into much detail at this time, I am highly qualified to state that once a person is awarded damages against a police officer(s), the police officer(s)will re-surface later to play the game again with the same individual.

As sad as it may seem in America, the best thing Danbus can do is have one or two witnesses WITH HIM when he walks in public in the future.