• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Selecting a .380 auto

G

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
I the Person wrote:
A word about .380 caliber recoil, since a number of posters here have mentioned how 'whippy' or 'snappy' the recoils is on a lot of .380 pistols (and also for .25s and .32s): the reason many smaller-caliber pistols have snappy recoil is that most of them are direct-blowback designs, versus locked-breech designs found on larger-caliber pistols. Here's a good explanation of this: http://yarchive.net/gun/pistol/blowback_vs_locked.html
Nice article. Thanks for posting it!
You're welcome! I've always preferred locked-breech pistols over blowback ones. I didn't always know the reason why.

G

imported post

Legba wrote:
I the Person: good of you to mention the Star S .380. Those were standard issue for Luftwaffe pilots in the war, and I use one as a backup sometimes.

As for the Kel-Tec, they are fine "pocket" type pistols, but the supply is very tight. We have considerable trouble getting them from wholesalers even. Likewise the new Ruger variation on that same theme. The Beretta 84 is excellent and higher-capacity, but it may be cost-prohibitive. Taurus makes a clone that is rather more affordable (mod PT 58 S). The Bersa .380 would be a good choice as well - it's both concealeable and affordable.

-ljp
Yes, the Star S .380s really rock. Eight-round magazine with a full-length grip, feels very comfortable. It's basically a scaled-down 1911 minus the grip safety.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I the Person wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
I the Person wrote:
A word about .380 caliber recoil, since a number of posters here have mentioned how 'whippy' or 'snappy' the recoils is on a lot of .380 pistols (and also for .25s and .32s): the reason many smaller-caliber pistols have snappy recoil is that most of them are direct-blowback designs, versus locked-breech designs found on larger-caliber pistols. Here's a good explanation of this: http://yarchive.net/gun/pistol/blowback_vs_locked.html
Nice article. Thanks for posting it!
You're welcome! I've always preferred locked-breech pistols over blowback ones. I didn't always know the reason why.
I obviously knew that my FIE Titan II .380 is a blowback design, however, until reading that article I had never thought about how that design contributed to the less comfortable recoil in what is a heavy pistol for it's size. Very informative. Hope you enjoy the forum and stick around.

G

imported post

TheMrMitch wrote:
Very interesting...thanks. If one has seen, held and/or fired a Hi Point, one will see what a massive slide it uses to handle blowback recoil. :)

Yes, the embodiment of 'clunky'. Apologies to anyone who owns one.

TheMrMitch

imported post

I the Person wrote:
TheMrMitch wrote:
Very interesting...thanks. If one has seen, held and/or fired a Hi Point, one willsee what a massive slideit usesto handle blowback recoil.:)

HehHeh....I do own a brand new .45.....$149 OTD with a lifetime warranty. Stays in my car as a clunker.:DAin't they UGLY?

G

imported post

TheMrMitch wrote:
I the Person wrote:
TheMrMitch wrote:
Very interesting...thanks. If one has seen, held and/or fired a Hi Point, one will see what a massive slide it uses to handle blowback recoil. :)

HehHeh....I do own a brand new .45.....$149 OTD with a lifetime warranty. Stays in my car as a clunker.:D Ain't they UGLY?

Yep. It's godawful fugly all right. But probably great for a car gun. God forbid you ever have to use it, you know it'll be confiscated for evidence, might be a year before you get it back, might as well be something cheap. $149? Hell, I might get one or two.

I think I remember you or somebody else saying they were really reliable? How's the recoil, compared to a 1911? How many rounds have you put through it?

unarmed in westchester

imported post

Well everyone, i no longer have to inquire as to a good .380 for my fiancee. We visited her folks in Vt over the weekend and her father gave her her birthday present...a Taurus .22 revolver with a 2" barrel. We took her out shooting and after familiarizing her with the gun, she was hitting the targets at 30' with no problem. It really is a great little gun for her. It holds 9 rounds, which is nice for target practice, its light and its cheap to shoot. She felt comfortable handling and shooting it, which was most important.

Its not a real "pretty" gun, thats for sure, but its a perfect first handgun for her. I think her father picked it up brand new in the box for about $220.

Thanks to everyone who replied to my original post, i learned alot from you replies and suggestions.

To the members here talking about Hi-Point. My soon to be father-in-law picked one up not to long ago for about $100. Its a .40, and as mentioned, it is quite "clunky." Its a somewhat heavy gun, not good looking at all, but definately gets the job done! I found it to be quite reliable and accutrate for the price. Personally, it would not be my first choice for a carry gun, but not a bad truck/car gun. They say you get what you pay for, but in the instance of the Hi-Point, i think you get a good gun for the price. You're not gonna find many .40's for under $200, so this is an appealing gun to many.

TheMrMitch

imported post

Here's the little .380 CZ83. :D

NObama.jpg

ODA 226

imported post

centsi wrote:
I love my Colt Government .380. Great weapon if you can find one.
+1! I need to find a steel trigger to replace the stock plastic one. I just don't like the way it feels.

ODA 226

imported post

unarmed in westchester wrote:
Well everyone, i no longer have to inquire as to a good .380 for my fiancee. We visited her folks in Vt over the weekend and her father gave her her birthday present...a Taurus .22 revolver with a 2" barrel. We took her out shooting and after familiarizing her with the gun, she was hitting the targets at 30' with no problem. It really is a great little gun for her. It holds 9 rounds, which is nice for target practice, its light and its cheap to shoot. She felt comfortable handling and shooting it, which was most important.

Its not a real "pretty" gun, thats for sure, but its a perfect first handgun for her. I think her father picked it up brand new in the box for about $220.

Thanks to everyone who replied to my original post, i learned alot from you replies and suggestions.

To the members here talking about Hi-Point. My soon to be father-in-law picked one up not to long ago for about $100. Its a .40, and as mentioned, it is quite "clunky." Its a somewhat heavy gun, not good looking at all, but definately gets the job done! I found it to be quite reliable and accutrate for the price. Personally, it would not be my first choice for a carry gun, but not a bad truck/car gun. They say you get what you pay for, but in the instance of the Hi-Point, i think you get a good gun for the price. You're not gonna find many .40's for under $200, so this is an appealing gun to many.
While not the best choice for a self-defense gun, I think you made a reasonable decision here. She will be able to develop her marksmanship skills and as she grows more competent and comfortable, she will most likely want a more "serious" caliber for self-defense. Congrats!

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ODA 226 wrote:
While not the best choice for a self-defense gun, I think you made a reasonable decision here. She will be able to develop her marksmanship skills and as she grows more competent and comfortable, she will most likely want a more "serious" caliber for self-defense. Congrats!
+1 Good summation.

unarmed in westchester

imported post

ODA & deepdiver...thanks for your replies. The .22 is definately not a good carry gun, however she feels comfortable & confident with it for now. Once she gets more comfortable, i'll probably get her a .380 or small 9mm.