• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Buying handgun

chesire17201

imported post

was browsing around and came across something somewhere that said that there is no transfer or check for handgun purchases between individuals in Va., is that true?

where as here in Pa. handguns have to be transferred via FFL.....

makes me wish I had never left.....

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Private purchases in Va do not require a check or any paperwork at all. There have been some spirited discussions about it here.

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Yes.

In VA, you can sell or buy from another VA resident without going through a FFL. These are called face to face, or FTF transfers. I've bought (and prefer to buy) items this way.

chesire17201

imported post

we have that here in pa. but it doesn't apply to handguns, only long guns, and although we don't have a registry ( so they say), i just hate the fact of having to go to an ffl for a transfer up here.........

matt605

imported post

I don't like FFLs either. Most are deeply embattled personalities who are engrossed with rules. I bought this gun once and they took like 45 minutes before faxing the paperwork in because they wanted to keep checking the thing for errors. They're gone now.

I'm conditioned to make purchases through the express line at the grocery store, which of courseis all done by the customer now. This assures that you are in the line withthe slowest bagger in the place -- the customer in front of you.

I do feel sorry for them though because the only thing worse than talking to an FFL is listening to a gun buyer.

:dude:

hsmith

imported post

matt605 wrote:
I don't like FFLs either. Most are deeply embattled personalities who are engrossed with rules. I bought this gun once and they took like 45 minutes before faxing the paperwork in because they wanted to keep checking the thing for errors. They're gone now.

I'm conditioned to make purchases through the express line at the grocery store, which of courseis all done by the customer now. This assures that you are in the line withthe slowest bagger in the place -- the customer in front of you.

I do feel sorry for them though because the only thing worse than talking to an FFL is listening to a gun buyer.

saw this on a blog yesterday :D

33l0djs.jpg

nova

imported post

hsmith wrote:
matt605 wrote:

saw this on a blog yesterday :D

33l0djs.jpg
where's the barf smiley when I need it.

matt605

imported post

Couple of coins is all it should cost too. Price of handguns is outrageous. Why carry an expensive weapon that someone would want to steal? They'll see you carrying a Colt and then next week you'll be awakened by the sound of your car alarm because someone wants to steal your gun.