• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry without a CHL

stevenal

Opt-Out Members
imported post

This stuff is new to me, so I'm consulting the experts here.

My son is over 18 and not yet 21, meaning he can own a handgun but is unable yet to obtain a CHL. He wants a handgun for bear protection while hiking. He tells me he can legally carry it in a hip holster. Not sure how this will work with his backpack, but assuming he can make it workand nothide it, he is correct.

So how does he get to the trail head? Seems he must either keep the gun visible in the car, or place it out of reach. And where exactly does one place a hand gun in a vehicle to ensure it is un-concealed? And placing it out of reach seems easy enough, until one realizes thatto perform that task, one has to have the gun in hand while doing so. Clearly a gun in hand is not out of reach.

And what if he stops at a store on the way? The un-concealed gun left in the car will likely be stolen, and stashing it away starts the paradox above again. Guess he can pack it inside, but only if the store is not in one of thelocalities that ban open carrying. And his hikes may take him out of state. Haven't yet checked the neihboring states laws yet, but I'm sure they are also confusing.

Do any of you open carry a handgun without holding a CHL? How do make it work? Wouldn't a can of bear spray be a better choice, at least until he's 21? Don't want to see him get mauled, but getting into legal trouble now might affect his ability to get licensed latter.

Thanks.

grishnav

imported post

Phssphtok open carries in Oregon without a license. You might PM him, or he might post here.

It looks like you mostly have the correct interpretation of the law. The only thing to add is that public buildings are off limits w/o a CHL, so if he can't stop to use any of those handy outhouses...

I've heard the bear spray does work, and that small caliber handguns sometimes don't, but I have no personal experience nor vetted study to back it up. That's just what I've heard.

OCing without a license isn't easy, but if you're careful, it can be done.

BrianEMT

imported post

I am going to bump this to get further clarification for you.

Just a warning, when a bear is attacking you or about to attack, a can of this "bear spray" which is typically 5% OC, will do nothing more than piss it off.

grishnav

imported post

BrianEMT wrote:
I am going to bump this to get further clarification for you.

Just a warning, when a bear is attacking you or about to attack, a can of this "bear spray" which is typically 5% OC, will do nothing more than piss it off.
But so will just about any handgun...

Most of the pistol calibres won't penetrate their skull, and won't penetrate deeply enough into their flesh to hit anything immediately vital.

44 carbine

imported post

Both of the above posts are correct. So-called bear spray is like spanking your enemy to teach him a lesson.

Hand guns are effective in bear country. Just carry a large enough caliber and practice shooting it to become at least some what profecient before headingout.

I would recommend .357 mag or larger. preferably larger. I carry a .44 mag w/3" barrel for handiness and the security. It feels good to know you can protect yourself.

As far as traveling to and from the trailhead you need to get "the real lowdown" from an expert whoever that may be.

As a sidebar, his bigger worry would be the Big Cats. Their populations are rapidly growing and they present a much larger concern to most woods people than bears. Grizzlys aside. Best of luck in your search.

stevenal

Opt-Out Members
imported post

My son lives in eastern Oregon. He hikes and climbs in mountain areas all over the state and in adjoining states.

docs9788

imported post

44 carbine wrote:
Both of the above posts are correct. So-called bear spray is like spanking your enemy to teach him a lesson.

Hand guns are effective in bear country. Just carry a large enough caliber and practice shooting it to become at least some what profecient before headingout.

I would recommend .357 mag or larger. preferably larger. I carry a .44 mag w/3" barrel for handiness and the security. It feels good to know you can protect yourself.

As far as traveling to and from the trailhead you need to get "the real lowdown" from an expert whoever that may be.

As a sidebar, his bigger worry would be the Big Cats. Their populations are rapidly growing and they present a much larger concern to most woods people than bears. Grizzlys aside. Best of luck in your search.

Would 45 ACP do the Job? I carry a Springfield XD 45 Service model when Camping. Is it large enough or am I fooling myself???

44 carbine

imported post

the .45 XD is a fine pistol and with proper loads and good shooting ability you should be able to dispatch any critter we may encounter in our Oregon mnts.

Phssthpok

imported post

Bear meat am tasty!
yumyum.gif

Dannny L

imported post

I making a bear skin rug and yes the meat is being made into pepperoni.

Dannny L

imported post

Got the bear back today and the pepperroni turned out great. I reccomend making pepperroni from black bear. I was told that it was fattie. The dryness of this peperroni came out perfect for me and was on the exspensive side but well worth it.

TYFOON

imported post

I live in Bend, OR.

I open carry quite often. No city ordinances against it save city parks. I avoid the parks. No problems.

Have your son check the city ordinances where he lives. If there are none, OR is Open Carry legal.

Foon