• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I shot a judge today.....

kashmirsmp

imported post

Any one else ever shoot one of these? It was different then what I thought it would be. Smooth with limited kick. Shoots 44 mag and 410 rounds. The one I shot was the short barrel. I was thinking about buying one, but wanted to know if any one else had one, how they liked it?

Sonora Rebel

imported post

.44 mag....? I thought they were chambered for .45LC? :?

I'm really interested in 'The Judge'... as a self defense piece they make a lot of sense.

Alec411

imported post

REBEL: YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY CORRECT. The Judge fires the 45LC, NOT a .44MAG.

The six inch model will handle 3" .410 shells.

I THINK (QUESTION) IT HAS A SIX ROUND CAPACITY.

For you M85 fans the new model is the 856(5+1=6) capacity.

It is available in blue steel, stainless steel, and magnesium,

only the steel guns hold 6 rounds. Personally I wouldn't go for the magne. after all the negatives I've read
I WANT ONE SO MUCH!:banghead:

Sonora Rebel

imported post

.45LC ain't no slouch. Neither is the 410 in 000 Buck. I has a 5 round capacity cylinder only. Even at that... it's a LARGE handgun. There is a new ultra-lite version... but I prefer a heavier gun. The long barrel versionis a VERY big gun!Don't confuse it with some kind'a tack drivin' target pistol... it ain't. It's a killin' machine.

Aside from 'snakes'... (you can load 410's in various sizes of shot for that)... As a self defense... anti-attacker persuader... you could use this with some measure of confidence off-hand 'n not worry about killin' some poor soul 30 yards away if you miss. The 410 round in 000 Buck consists of 3X .35 cal balls out the workin' end at once. I dunno the muzzle velocity... I s'pose that's 'on-line' someplace. Ennyhoo... it's enuff to make a mess outta some perp at the usual encounter distances. .45LC will also make very big holes... and being 'lead' bullets tend to break things with hydraulic shockrather than drill thru them. They're also available in semi-hollowpoint.

This WILL BE my next handgun purchase!:cool:

kashmirsmp

imported post

Yeah its 45. Sorry I was not paying attention while I was typing. Nice gun though. I went and looked at them today. Not too badly priced at just under 450.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

'Penetration depth ain't the whole enchalada. Organ displacement due to hydraulic shock and subequent rupture thereof seems not to have been a consideration in this test. 10 yards is hardly a confrontational distance. Confrontation is gonna be MUCH closer in a self defense situation. Even at that... 4" depth into a human body most anywhere is gonna kill or incapacitate with such a large chunk of lead. As such... you're prob'ly not gonna shoot through the attacker. Bones and such in the path of such projectiles also splinter or 'chunk'. Such fragments sever arteries and otherwise affect nerves... rendering limbs in particular useless for several hours with only an inch or so of penetration. As I stated above... this is not a drill... more like a hammer.

Examine some skeletal remains from the Civil War period to see the damage such lead bullets inflict. The French LeMat revolver had a single separate barrel for 'Buck and ball'... which according to the users of the day was very effective.Doubtful too is a one shot scenario.'More like three in rapid succession. (Three on the whistle)

The testers bias against this pistol from the outset is obvious. 'Hardly a gimmick gun'.

1FASTC4

imported post

You say it isn't a gimmick gun. I say it is. I've fired it and it's not something that isideally suited for self defense IMHO. There are much better options.

How many times have you fired one?

Sonora Rebel

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
For what it's worth, not even two cents, I agree with 1FASTC4. I own one. 3 1/2 inch barrel. I shoot it for fun, usuallythree .410's followed by two very hot hand-loaded .45 LC's. But I wouldn't count on itfor self defense, too inacurate for me both with .410 and .45 LC.
At what range are you shooting? What do you normally shoot? I see the Judge as a close-in weapon... 6-10' which is where the thing would be expected to be put into play.

1FASTC4

imported post

Hey, you are looking for an argument and you are not going to get one. You have your opinion and I have mine. I based mine on actually firing the weapon.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

'Haven't... but I own a .45LC (Ruger Vaquero) 'n that thing's deadly. Also a '92 Win in .45LC... which will drop a feral steer.

1FASTC4

imported post

yup, that 45LC is a nice round, although I've only shot is a couple of dozen times, I admit.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

I'd like to test that Judge against a cow skullor a horse skull. 'Can find them in arroyos now 'n then.

imported post

Come On 1FASTC4, andNavyLT.....Give it a rest.

The Taurus Judge has been and is marketed as an anti car jacking and close in personal defense weapon.

Lets see; 1FASTC4says"The .410 buck has poor penetration and is not a good self defense round."

In the box O truth test O_P could not find .410 00 Buck in anything but a 4 inch shell so he made his own by cutting down the 4 inch shell. So you are basing your conclusion not on a factory round, but one "re-manufactured by O_P.

When Taurus advertised the gun they recommend #4 BB rounds....again as an anti carjack round that will be used at 6 feet of less.

Now NavyLTyou say you own one, "But I wouldn't count on itfor self defense, too inacurate for me both with .410 and .45 LC."

You are wanting accuracy at 6 feet?

I don't know about you but at 6 feet I can probably hit a bad guy with my eyes closed.

The other guys on this thread, like this gun and want one, why are you raining on their parade?

There are a lot of guns that I see no need for and don't want one of, some I have shot and many that I have not, BUT it is just not cool to go aroundbad mouthing stuff.

The Judge is a niche gun, It has a use and for that use it is well suited.

I don't own one or want one, but it is not my place to rain all over those who do.

By the way it is way fun to shoot clays with a handgun......Just ask O_P

Sonora Rebel

imported post

"The Judge is a niche gun, It has a use and for that use it is well suited."

PERFECT!

bbvk05

imported post

I think that the fact that Alec411 wants one is telling. The gun is fascinating, but no better at anything except killing snakes than any other revolver with decent power. By the way, penetration is a problem with any .410 shells that are commercially available.