• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gov. Schwarzenegger VETOED the Vehicle Loaded Open Carry Ban

cato

imported post

http://gov.ca.gov/pdf/press/SB1171_Scott_Veto_Message.pdf

Citing the desire to protect the "fundamental power of a local government to place a prohibition on the carrying of a loaded firearm", the Gov. vetoed this otherwise bad bill.

This will allow some places, like most of Kern County, to remain very loaded OC friendly in their unincorporated territory.

So a good result with bad official reasoning (kind of funny to see him use their logic against them however).

cato

imported post

Oh, and I forgot to give a big old raspberry out to Jack Scott :p He put a lot of work into trying to pass this.

Sheriff Baca too :p who supported this even though it would have no effect in LA County (a loaded prohibited zone anyway due to local discharge laws).

and a few more for good measure :p:p:p

and an OC monkey :monkey

cato

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
Ooh... this is the part where we get to rehash the old debate about whether it is already prohibited to LOC in any vehicle!

No??? Ah ok, party on.

Is your vehicle, in an otherwise legal discharge area, a public place?:p

Also remember this bill was a direct assault on People v Knight. And Mike does make a valid point that as controlling case law P v K still stands even wrongly decided.