• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

problems with high points?

cynicist

imported post

I recently got a high point c9, and it doesn't always chamber the round when I slide it. Anyone else have this problem?

Also, does the slide safety prevent lock the trigger as well?

holeinhead

imported post

I have a Hi-Point 45, and I've only had that problem with hollow points. It feeds FMJ perfectly.

I've heard that it's a thing with the feed ramp. The gun just needs to be shot a bunch to break in the gun, or you could polish the feed ramp and I've heard that fixes the problem.

Or you could always just send it in and they'll probably fix it. Their customer service is supposedly top notch.

Decoligny

imported post

It could be the feed ramp. The coat the barrel with a black coating. It also covers the feed ramp. This coating can cause the rounds not to chamber properly. Just take a dremel tool with a small polishing wheel and buff it till it is shiny metal.

Or if you are manually operating the slide, a lot of time people are trying to be too gentle with it. This will sometimes allow the round to hang up. Try pulling the slide back and letting it go forward on its own. (Remember, trigger and muzzle discipline!)

It could also be the magazine. I have a Hi-Point C9 and new mags always take a little tweaking to operate smoothly. It's a simple matter of either squeezing the front tabs at the top to tighten them, or pulling them slightly to loosen them. Once the mag is adjusted, then you shouldn't have any more problems with it.

compmanio365

imported post

I had a Hi Point 45, and it took about 500 rounds to break it in before it started feeding HP 100%.

The safety will lock the trigger and prevent the slide from moving, yes. It also has a drop safety, that's the clatter when you shake it, which prevents the firing pin from coming forward if you accidentally drop the gun, so the gun doesn't discharge.

If you are past 500 rounds, and you still are having trouble, I'd give Hi Point a call; they are really great and work to make their customers happy with the lifetime warranty.

Also, check out http://hipointfirearmsforums.com/Forum/index.php, as there is a whole group of guys over there that love to help out with stuff like this. You can get the phone numbers and addresses for Hi Point if you do end up needing to send it in. I'm compmanio365 over there as well.

t3rmin

imported post

I was a Hi-Point guy. Sold mine after too many problems. It gets old after a while. I polished the feed ramp and fiddled with stuff; even sent it in but it didn't come back working perfectly as I'd hoped. Feeding problems, ejecting problems, low-cap single stack mags, heavy for its size...

I wanted to believe, but I just couldn't trust my life to it. After selling it and buying a Ruger P95, I've never looked back. Never even a hint of a malfunction with any type of ammo and I've done zero "fluff and buff". Yeah it was more expensive, but still cheaper than most. It was money well spent. I like the double action, I like 17+1 rds capacity (with MecGar mag), I like the reasonable size/weight ratio.

If you get a Hi-Point that works, more power to ya. This was just my experience with the C-9 I had.

samaloney2006

imported post

All your answers can be found at M1911.org. If you have not seen that website I strongly recommend you check into itand join. It is free and there is no better web site for 1911's andyou can study the info on 1911's and transfer that info over to most allsemi-autos. First and foremost "PUT THAT DREMEL DOWN". The chances are the fed ramp is not your problem it more than likely is the brand of ammo or themagazine.:celebrate

compmanio365

imported post

samaloney2006 wrote:
All your answers can be found at M1911.org. If you have not seen that website I strongly recommend you check into itand join. It is free and there is no better web site for 1911's andyou can study the info on 1911's and transfer that info over to most allsemi-autos. First and foremost "PUT THAT DREMEL DOWN". The chances are the fed ramp is not your problem it more than likely is the brand of ammo or themagazine.:celebrate
Maybe you should try explaining what you are talking about. We're talking about a Hi Point, not a 1911. How the two work are completely different. A fluff & buff with a dremel does fix the problem the OP is describing most of the time. If not, send it to Hi Point to get it fixed.

cynicist

imported post

I just load it with FMJ, haven't even had a chance to fire it. The more I play with it (figuratively speaking) the better I seem to get with it loading.
There's one thing I don't get yet.
If you chamber a round, eject the clip, eject the round, put the clip back in, pull the trigger, and then try to chamber a round, it won't. Why is that?

Bear 45/70

imported post

cynicist wrote:
I just load it with FMJ, haven't even had a chance to fire it. The more I play with it (figuratively speaking) the better I seem to get with it loading.
If you chamber a round, eject the clip, eject the round, put the clip back in, pull the trigger, and then try to chamber a round, it won't. Why is that?
What do you mean, "it won't chamber a round."? Do you mean the slide is locked close and will not pull back? or that when you jack the slide, the slide fails to pick up a round when the slide comes forward into battery? Also under what sircumstances would you do what your say you are doing?

tstanfield12

imported post

cynicist wrote:

Are you doing all of this with a loaded magazine? If so you might want to think about that. With a loaded magazine you shouldn't pull the trigger whether there is a round in the chamber or not. You may have forgot to clear it or something.

Sorry if I am misreading this and jumping to conclusions.

Trigger Dr

imported post

Because it is HiPoint some times referred to as a "GHETTO GLOCK".

As you can tell. I think very l;ittle of the HiPoint. The few that we had sold, before the corporation discontinued selling them, came back with great regularity. I don 't care what their customer service is, if it needs repair that frequently it is not worth the aggrivation and heartaches that come with them. If you like them go ahead you never know when it is going to fail. The same with other manufacturers, B U T not with that rate of frequency.

Also we have KIMBERS, yes Kimbers, come back more frequently than Taurus. I personally know of 3 that have made more than one trip to the repair facility in the last year. the most frequemnt problem is the PLASTIC mainspring housing.

cynicist

imported post

What I mean by "it won't chamber" is I'll pull the slide back, and it won't always pull a round into the chamber.

And yes, I mean pull the trigger with a loaded clip.
I know, it's against all the rules. I chamber a round, eject the clip. Eject the round, check to make sure it is ejected. insert clip, press gun into a pile of pillows on my couch in my basement, and pull. I know it is "unsafe," but I am overly sure of myself, and I figure that the sooner I figure out all the peculiarities of this thing, the safer me and my family will be. At least this way, the worst that will happen is I have to sew up the pillows before my wife figures out what happened.

Bear 45/70

imported post

cynicist wrote:
What I mean by "it won't chamber" is I'll pull the slide back, and it won't always pull a round into the chamber.

I know, it's against all the rules. I chamber a round, eject the clip. Eject the round, check to make sure it is ejected. insert clip, press gun into a pile of pillows on my couch in my basement, and pull. I know it is "unsafe," but I am overly sure of myself, and I figure that the sooner I figure out all the peculiarities of this thing, the safer me and my family will be. At least this way, the worst that will happen is I have to sew up the pillows before my wife figures out what happened.
If the slide won't pick up the round, it is one of two things. Either you are riding the slide forward with your hand making it operate at too slow a speed(You are suppose to just let go and let it slam into battery) or the mag needs adjusting.

David.Car

imported post

cynicist wrote:
[line]
I know, it's against all the rules.
[line]
insert clip, press gun into a pile of pillows on my couch in my basement, and pull.
[line]
I know it is "unsafe"
Violation of safety rules... You know it is against the rules... You do all of this in your home... You know it is unsafe...

Yet you still do it...
picard-no-facepalm.jpg

Bear 45/70

imported post

David.Car wrote:
cynicist wrote:
[line]
I know, it's against all the rules.
[line]
insert clip, press gun into a pile of pillows on my couch in my basement, and pull.
[line]
I know it is "unsafe"
Violation of safety rules... You know it is against the rules... You do all of this in your home... You know it is unsafe...

Yet you still do it...
picard-no-facepalm.jpg
Yeah and there are morons on here that think it is OK to drink alcohol while carrying. They are a bigger danger than this guy by at least a factor of ten.
rolleyes.gif

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
Yeah and there are morons on here that think it is OK to drink alcohol while carrying. They are a bigger danger than this guy by at least a factor of ten.
rolleyes.gif
Good point, Bear. Saturday, I had a glass of wine with dinner while CC at Pasta House in the local mall. As I finished the glass of wine, sensing my loss of faculties from my .004 BAC, my Sig suddenly jumped free from my holster and took off heading across the mall towards the Macy's bedding section. I can only imagine it was looking for a Hi Point on a pillow to get off with, er, go off with, er whatever. Luckily, one of my friends had not had any wine with dinner so was sober enough to run down the Sig, tackle it and forcibly bring it back to it's holster. I can't imagine the carnage in the bedding section if all of us had decided to drink a glass of wine that night. Definitely at least 10 times much more dangerous than discharging a loaded firearm in a concrete walled and floored room of an occupied residence. :shock:

David.Car

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
rolleyes.gif
Good point, Bear. Saturday, I had a glass of wine with dinner while CC at Pasta House in the local mall. As I finished the glass of wine, sensing my loss of faculties from my .004 BAC, my Sig suddenly jumped free from my holster and took off heading across the mall towards the Macy's bedding section. I can only imagine it was looking for a Hi Point on a pillow to get off with, er, go off with, er whatever. Luckily, one of my friends had not had any wine with dinner so was sober enough to run down the Sig, tackle it and forcibly bring it back to it's holster. I can't imagine the carnage in the bedding section if all of us had decided to drink a glass of wine that night. Definitely at least 10 times much more dangerous than discharging a loaded firearm in a concrete walled and floored room of an occupied residence. :shock:

I have heard about incidents like this... That is why I always test my firearms the Stan Smith way first...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hM3j34i81Fk

I would much rather be around responsible gun owners who enjoy 1 beer/drink with dinner than those who are practicing how to cause a negligent discharge in their basement.

And again, we all know you don't drink, you have seen what drinking can do, blah blah blah we heard it all before.