• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Opponent calls you 'Unhelpful'

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

XD40coyote wrote:
On that batman comment, if you OC, you may not ever need any of the other stuff, since criminals will see you OCing and know to go elseware.
You may be right. :D

Yata hey

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
XD40coyote wrote:
On that batman comment, if you OC, you may not ever need any of the other stuff, since criminals will see you OCing and know to go elseware.
You may be right. :D

Yata hey
I agree. Although the majority ofBG's will abort their plans of criminal activity at the sight of OC, there is still a small percentage that will not. And you may be faced with more than one perp in these instances.

Orygunner

imported post

XD40coyote wrote:

I think the "you are not Batman" comment comes from a satirical article on SomethingAwful.com:

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/news/concealed-carry-renfest.php

Humorous, but so full of crap it's almost hard to stomach reading it. Again.

...Orygunner...

Sonora Rebel

imported post

'Just now read that 'BATMAN' thing. Echo's the blissful ignorance of many... altho 'Robin Hood' with the Sig is pretty ridiculous. I carry for a reason. When there's no reason... I don't. I've never owned (much less worn) a 'polo' shirt... 'nor have I ever been 'pear shaped'. I don't forsee either in my future. The 'writers' are equally ridiculous. Encumbrance is enuff with the 1911-A1 and a pair of mags. I'll add the knife and a cell phone pouchwhen on the trips between civilization in the desert... but not normally.I never carry a cell phone.... altho I prob'ly should.

Any 'encounters' I may expect are gonna be in those parkin' lots or the sidewalks... not in the stores. The convienience stores possibly... 'cause they're frequent targets. Point is... I carry for self defense.

Deanimator

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
Any 'encounters' I may expect are gonna be in those parkin' lots or the sidewalks... not in the stores.
Don't be so sure. Around the corner from where my mother lives in one of the Chicago suburbs, a guy herded a bunch of women into the back room of a Lane Bryant(?) store and shot them all execution style. Of course Obama and Daley would tell you that they're better off having died on their knees begging for their lives. After all, if one of them had had a gun, that might have "escalated the violence".

Sonora Rebel

imported post

That's true.... 'Show's ya how rarely I enter 'small' shops 'cept for gettin' my annual new pair of boots. I do most of my shoppin' on the internet. Did they ever catch that guy?

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Orygunner wrote:

Humorous, but so full of crap it's almost hard to stomach reading it. Again
Stupidity is a shame.

Ignorance is shameful.

Both at the same time is sickening.

Yata hey
I found it rather amusing in many regards:

1) It is on a site named: Something Awful and this was indeed awful
2) The catch phrase under the website name is "The internet makes you stupid" and the writer has obviously spent a LOT of time on the internet
3) The use of Batman as the exemplar for the op-ed shows the writer has read a lot of comic books as well which have obviously colored his world view

Taken from a "consider the source" point of view it is rather humorous.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Orygunner wrote:
XD40coyote wrote:

I think the "you are not Batman" comment comes from a satirical article on SomethingAwful.com:

...Orygunner...
Zack Parsons writes:

"If I see one more of you jerks I am going on a shooting spree."

Yeah, go ahead with that plan. We gauarnatee it will be a very short shooting spree. :)

devo1123

imported post

Originally posted on GPDO

I'm not posting this to stir up any OC v CC debate. I also agree that there is a time and place for everything but to this man I can only say: WOW.

If you're thinking what I'm thinking please respond with a "WOW" or something to that effect without going into the over 9000 year old debate. Let's not beat the dead horse but focus on the real issues like:

When the police get a call from a concerned citizen that there is a man walking around with a holstered gun they should respond. When they get there they have no idea what is going though the man's mind. They have to speak with the person to be sure that they have no bad intent. This is a hassle for the police, for the concerned citizen, and for the gun owner. No one wins.

A criminal intent on committing a crime is going to be forthcoming about this future crime? "Yes, Officer. Before you got here, man, I just couldn't stop myself but after I was finished here in the deli I was going to head down to the produce section and pick up some asparagus then head up front to knock off the courtesy counter. Boy, I sure am glad you got here when you did so I could vent and TOGETHER, we could prevent my futurecrime. You're an HERO!" Will someone please cite one instance of this ever happening, anywhere?

I have no idea what is going through anyone's mind at anytime. I make astute assumptions about what COULD be running through someone's unique brain based on all of my conscious and subconscious knowledge up until that point in time and make decisions accordingly. Sometimes I'm right, sometimes I'm close, sometimes I'm wrong... waaay off... and a lot of the time... completely astray. This is why poker is fun, accidents happen and situational awareness coupled with preparedness is paramount.

This is why people communicate, orally or otherwise, to try and figure out what is going through another's mind because we all know what happens when we just assume. Am I always going to tell you the truth? Eh... no, especially if I'm about to commit a crime. Green lights communicate, by the authority of the state, do not stop or slow down... please to freely proceed unimpeded.

They do not lie nor do they have alternate meanings yet sometimes people disregard or just don't see them. In any case, people know the consequences of their actions. If I blow through this red light there is a good chance of colliding with another vehicle because the other light is green. If I just drive down the road not paying attention either way; I'm not going to be driving for very long. But if I am paying attention and I recognize the green light, am I still going to maybe hesitate a little and noticably slow down j u s t to make sure that there is no opposing traffic about to barrel through the intersection and GET ME?

Maybe unconsciously and without noticable effect, but because I've gone through so many green lights without a hitch I'm going to plow through that sucker because I have places to be and if I slowed down for every green light eventually someone would rear-end me, I'd have to explain to the cops why I slowed down for a green light and then I'd be in a mental institution for a reevaluation of my faculties and my fitness to hold a driver's license.

To me, a holstered pistol, whether on me or on someone else around me, means that criminal minds in the immediate area are highly unlikely to violently or otherwise commit criminal acts. I fail to comprehend how a holstered sidearm communicates anything other than potential immediate relief for wanton potentially deadly criminal aggression. A pistol in the hand is another story.

Someone pointing a gun at a register clerk's head is most likely not waiting for their change. Someone pointing a gun at someone pointing a gun at a register clerk's head will most likely have it reholstered before the smoke clears and you might've actually seen the gun for three seconds. There are endless senarios where you'll see a gun in hand and on the off chance that you do, you'd better discern the meaning of that gun in hand quickly and hopefully choose you reactions calmly. This post is getting a little long so I'm gonna wind it down.

I'm going to keep driving through green lights without slowing down because I've done it thousands of times before without incident and I don't have time to worry about freak accidents that I can't do anything about like some stooge running a red light and T-Boning me. That doesn't mean I'll take the brakes off my car because it'll decrease the weight of my car thus increasing my mileage and save me money.

I'll need them when I do see the clown pull out in front of me or for other appropriate times... like you know... red lights or those pesky stop signs.

I"ll also stand steadfast in my belief that the next holstered gun I encounter is not going to jump out and GET ME... based on the fact that the last one didn't and you know, now that I slow down and think about it, none ever have before either.

I expect a "huge backlash" from the public and a "wave" of new legislation from states all over the country... WHEN GCO KEEPS WINNING and more people realize that they might just live under an oppressive and hostile police force. The backlash will be against public officals for wasting money on incompetent institutions. I suspect the waves of legislation will be lapping at the shores of moar carry freedom without unfounded arbitrary restrictions and aimed at reducing crime through idk maybe stopping some of their "illegal" drug trade cashflow by legalizing and taxing marijuana.

Then we could give all that money to bad investors so they can still ride comfortably. Think of the corporate welfare possiblities!

I know I'm preaching to the choir here so please spread this around.

Deanimator

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
That's true.... 'Show's ya how rarely I enter 'small' shops 'cept for gettin' my annual new pair of boots. I do most of my shoppin' on the internet. Did they ever catch that guy?
Not to my knowledge. Of course it happened in Tinley Park, so there's at least a CHANCE somebody competent is investigating.

Toymaker

imported post

Orygunner wrote:
XD40coyote wrote:

...Orygunner...

The guy that wrote that article isa typical Liberal......vulgar, out of control, arrogant and elitist.

Of course he doesn't want sane rational citizens carrying guns.It increases the chance of him getting shot and possibly not being able to father more like himself.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

We know that we are preaching to the choir. Understand that practice fine hones our skills.

Hopefully this hit & run troll is sterile and has had no issue - that would be exemplification of the orderly process of natural selection.

May those that don't want none, have eternal dreams of not gettin' none............the means for self-defense. My version of Prairy Home style humor. :D

Yata hey