Thread: OC in the winter

Post imported post

The air is starting to get cold, and I found myself putting on a light jacket heading out today. This conceals my Glock obviously. What do the rest of you OCers do in the winter time? Is summer the only OC season? I just recently got into OC so this will be my first winter being an OCer.

Post imported post

Sometimes you can't help but to conceal. It's gonna happen. Make sure you're legal, of course.

Post imported post

Tactical/thigh holsters are about the only sure way to stay legal in winter gear, absent a permit/license. You could get a big bandolier shoulder holster for external use like they make for Desert Eagles, I guess...

-ljp

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

In the Midwest, it actually does get cold in the winter. Down here in Texas it rarely dips below freezing, sofew people if anyone bother withmore than a jacket, hat and gloves. That makes OC simple;you'd simply tuck your jacket behind the holster and have done with it.

You can try a thigh rig, or you can also try a "western" holster that slings the majority of the gun down below waist level. That way it's unlikely to be concealed by a waist-length jacket. If you wear a trench coat or other full-length overcoat, good luck. You can try a pocket holster with the handle peeking out, but at that point it's not really worth it; just get a CCW permit and throw yourwinter wearover your normal mode of carry.

Post imported post

I'm a Summer OC'er pretty much. To me it's not about OC or CC, it's just carrying, so I don't make a point to go either way, I just do what's comfortable.

Permit is required either way here (and one covers you for either way) so it's all good for me in any case.

Post imported post

Winter OC in the Mid-Atlantic requires 2 things: ingenuity and waterproofing.

Duty jackets with the zippered slots for your holster to stick out of are OK if you can find something that does not scream "Wannabe". My answer us to remove the badge tab - verrrry carefully. Forest Green can be "distressed" to look like you bought it well-used from the surplus place. Black or Navy Blue just look like you spilled bleach or something on them. YMMV.

Some coats/jackets have "reach-through" pockets that are located such that you can pull your holster through them. It looks dorky on its best day, but who said we are OC-ing for looks? :P

Short jackets that end at the waistband can work OK with OWB holsters. Too much chance of an IWB getting covered up.

I suggest not running a belt outside your down parka unless you want to look like the Michilien Tire Man with a rope around the gut. I've seen pictures of Michiganders (not Yoopers!) doing that and my sides ached for days.

One old coot I knew (he's gone to the BigRange in the Sky) had a holster sewn to the outside of his lumberjack jacket/coat - right about where a mid-ride holster would be if the coat were not there. It worked for him, but he never cared what other people thought about him anyway.

Good luck working this out. Post pictures whewn you come up with your solution.

stay safe.

skidmark
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Post imported post

Winter is the main reason I got a CCW permit. I like to be comfortable and safe in any season.

Post imported post

squisher pretty muchsaid what feel.....I wish to be comfortable and carry with that in mind.

Post imported post

Funny, I just took my new winter jacket today to the local Dry Cleaner/Alterations shop to have a zipper put in the side where I OC.

It only cost about $12 depending on the material.

I always buy a thick strong NYLON zipper instead of one made out of metal.

The NYLON zippers dont get as cold and are much more flexible and comfortable.
    "Let your gun be your constant companion during your walks" ~Thomas Jefferson

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Sheriff wrote:
    pro2A wrote:
    What do the rest of you OCers do in the winter time?.... this will be my first winter being an OCer.
    I have a concealed weapons permit, but I can answer your question.

Put pants on, put shirt on, put belt and holster on, insert gun in holster, put jacket on.

Now.... raise side of jacket and insert behind gun unless you have a CCW permit.
    The "Virginia Tuck" strikes again - works too and especially well if you have a duty type holster.

BTW - you forgot your shoes and socks.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    Sheriff wrote:
    pro2A wrote:
    What do the rest of you OCers do in the winter time?.... this will be my first winter being an OCer.

Put pants on, put shirt on, put belt and holster on, insert gun in holster, put jacket on.

Now.... raise side of jacket and insert behind gun unless you have a CCW permit.
    The "Virginia Tuck" strikes again - works too and especially well if you have a duty type holster.

Yata hey
    I didn't think dem verginy boys wore shoes and socks.

just kidding

Post imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
    Grapeshot wrote:
    Sheriff wrote:
    pro2A wrote:

Yata hey
    I didn't think dem verginy boys wore shoes and socks.

just kidding
    Thats funny coming from someone in Tennessee
    (also just kidding)

Post imported post

pro2A wrote:
    The air is starting to get cold, and I found myself putting on a light jacket heading out today. This conceals my Glock obviously. What do the rest of you OCers do in the winter time? Is summer the only OC season? I just recently got into OC so this will be my first winter being an OCer.

Sometimes I wear long pants. Once last year I even had to wear a sweatshirt. It's really brutal here in the winter.

Post imported post

1FASTC4 wrote:
    pro2A wrote:

Sometimes I wear long pants. Once last year I even had to wear a sweatshirt. It's really brutal here in the winter.
    Some of us enjoy winter:celebrate

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Sig229 wrote:
    1FASTC4 wrote:
    pro2A wrote:
    Some of us enjoy winter:celebrate
    My mother lets me wear long pants too (daddy's ol' bibs) and I only get one pair of shoes so I save 'em for when it gets cold. But I ain't poor cause pappy gave me a .45 and lets me barrow his truck sum.

Cold weather is good. Dug into a snow drift while hunting in the mountains near Blacksburg and slept better than at a Holiday Inn. Also allows me to carry a BUG easier.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

1FASTC4 wrote:
    pro2A wrote:

Lol. I lived in Tucson for 7 years. But here on the East Coast we don't have that luxury in the winter time :?

Post imported post

Recommendations for thigh/tactical holsters would be appreciated - I'm going back home (Michigan) soon and have absolutely no interest in asking the government permission to carry (applying for a CPL).

-jp

Post imported post

sneak wrote:
    Recommendations for thigh/tactical holsters would be appreciated - I'm going back home (Michigan) soon and have absolutely no interest in asking the government permission to carry (applying for a CPL).

-jp
    I see your in Berlin.
    Let me ask you, is it at all possible for German citizens to own semi-auto pistols and rifles?
    Or is it a whole long process that makes the common German citizen difficult from owning a real firearm?

I may have to move to Germany next year after school, but I was actually thinking about going to Switzerland instead. That is, if I get hired with Swiss Airlines.

Post imported post

Sheriff wrote:

I don't think the Carhart is going to fit behind anything.

Post imported post

Sig229 wrote:
    sneak wrote:

-jp
    I see your in Berlin.
    Let me ask you, is it at all possible for German citizens to own semi-auto pistols and rifles?
    Or is it a whole long process that makes the common German citizen difficult from owning a real firearm?

I may have to move to Germany next year after school, but I was actually thinking about going to Switzerland instead. That is, if I get hired with Swiss Airlines.

I have no idea, I'm an American expat living here because living in America relatively sucks.

It's absolutely fantastic here. The only things I miss are my friends and guns.

We're totally offtopic now, though. I still wonder - when I'm back in Michigan for the holidays, what sort of thigh holster should I get? I have a waist-length coat and anything belt-attached is probably going to be useless to me as I don't have a CPL.

-jp

Post imported post

I use a drop down leg holster. It seems to work nicely for OCing in the winter months. But, one thing to be paranoid about in winter (due to holidays) are people who "brush" up against you. It is good to be aware because simply tucking in an elbow to protect your side arm doesnt work when it is on your leg. I often turn towards something like a shelf, counter, etc... when someone is trying to pass by. It looks like you are giving them room but you are protecting your gun from a snatch attempt.

Post imported post

As an EMT, I have been shopping at www.galls.com for many years. They are a public-safety supplier and almost all af the jackets they sell have side zippers (on both sides) for OC of a handgun or other equipment carried on the belt line.

Theyhave:

1)Uniform apparel coats and jackets for official personnel

2) Low-profile uniformcoats and jackets(specifically the "5.11 Company" line of jackets and coats)with pull-down patches and badge tabs

3. ) Completely civilian clothing for people who are not public safety personnel at all but need the convenience of all those zippers.

I bought a Spiewak bright orange all-weather coat for going in the woods during hunting season, it has a side zipper and my SW Chief pokes out perfectly.

Post imported post

http://www.galls.com/style.html?asso...1&cat=3158

This is a great jacket with a million pockets. It looks like a regular winter coat for civilians, yet off duty public safety providers will like the pull-down ID tabs.

OC'ers will LOVE it for the side zippers. You also get velcro doo-dads to hold your ammo, flashlight, etc, in the above mentioned pockets.

If you are between sizes in their sizing chart get the larger one.

I do not work for Galls.

Post imported post

http://www.galls.com/style.html?asso...1&cat=3158

Here's a serious hardcore outdoor hunting/hiking/horrible weathercoat.