• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in the winter

sneak

imported post

Sig229 wrote:
sneak wrote:
Recommendations for thigh/tactical holsters would be appreciated - I'm going back home (Michigan) soon and have absolutely no interest in asking the government permission to carry (applying for a CPL).

-jp

I see your in Berlin.
Let me ask you, is it at all possible for German citizens to own semi-auto pistols and rifles?
Or is it a whole long process that makes the common German citizen difficult from owning a real firearm?

I may have to move to Germany next year after school, but I was actually thinking about going to Switzerland instead. That is, if I get hired with Swiss Airlines.

I have no idea, I'm an American expat living here because living in America relatively sucks.

It's absolutely fantastic here. The only things I miss are my friends and guns.

We're totally offtopic now, though. I still wonder - when I'm back in Michigan for the holidays, what sort of thigh holster should I get? I have a waist-length coat and anything belt-attached is probably going to be useless to me as I don't have a CPL.

-jp

SickTag

imported post

I use a drop down leg holster. It seems to work nicely for OCing in the winter months. But, one thing to be paranoid about in winter (due to holidays) are people who "brush" up against you. It is good to be aware because simply tucking in an elbow to protect your side arm doesnt work when it is on your leg. I often turn towards something like a shelf, counter, etc... when someone is trying to pass by. It looks like you are giving them room but you are protecting your gun from a snatch attempt.

WheelGun

imported post

As an EMT, I have been shopping at www.galls.com for many years. They are a public-safety supplier and almost all af the jackets they sell have side zippers (on both sides) for OC of a handgun or other equipment carried on the belt line.

Theyhave:

1)Uniform apparel coats and jackets for official personnel

2) Low-profile uniformcoats and jackets(specifically the "5.11 Company" line of jackets and coats)with pull-down patches and badge tabs

3. ) Completely civilian clothing for people who are not public safety personnel at all but need the convenience of all those zippers.

I bought a Spiewak bright orange all-weather coat for going in the woods during hunting season, it has a side zipper and my SW Chief pokes out perfectly.

WheelGun

imported post

http://www.galls.com/style.html?assort=general_catalog&style=JA331&cat=3158

This is a great jacket with a million pockets. It looks like a regular winter coat for civilians, yet off duty public safety providers will like the pull-down ID tabs.

OC'ers will LOVE it for the side zippers. You also get velcro doo-dads to hold your ammo, flashlight, etc, in the above mentioned pockets.

If you are between sizes in their sizing chart get the larger one.

I do not work for Galls.