• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police Encounters

Bebop

imported post

Ohio Patriot wrote:
During detainment, which usually lasts under 1 hour, the officer is trying to find good, solid evidence that you have committed a crime. In other words, he is trying to turn RAS into "solid evidence." If he finds solid evidence, he has probable cause to arrest you. If he cannot turn RAS into solid evidence within an hour or so, the detainment must stop and you are free to go.
I am not so sure this is true. I am trying to find the source right now but as far as I can remember from my FAD course in High school an officer can detain your for 24 hrs without a charge after that if they want to keep you they must charge you with something. Give me a little bit to find the source.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Bebop wrote:
Ohio Patriot wrote:
During detainment, which usually lasts under 1 hour, the officer is trying to find good, solid evidence that you have committed a crime. In other words, he is trying to turn RAS into "solid evidence." If he finds solid evidence, he has probable cause to arrest you. If he cannot turn RAS into solid evidence within an hour or so, the detainment must stop and you are free to go.
I am not so sure this is true. I am trying to find the source right now but as far as I can remember from my FAD course in High school an officer can detain your for 24 hrs without a charge after that if they want to keep you they must charge you with something. Give me a little bit to find the source.
If this is true why are so many law suits won by being "detained and cuffed" for just a few minutes.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Mainsail wrote:
Citizen wrote:
"Officer, I know you're just doing your job; but I do not consent to this encounter." This way there can beless quibble later whether I consented by staying. Nobody canmistakenly think I consented when the first thing I said was that I didn't consent.

"...do not consent to this encounter. Am I free to go?" Or, if I do not want to leave, "Please leave me alone."

SNIP First, I do not consider every police encounter to be hostile until they make it so.
I understand. Check the third sentence of my post.

Otherwise, I see what you are saying. I don't know that I can argue with you.

I prefer to follow Professor Duane's advice from the video. That is to say, in this case, if I'm being legitimately detained--because of circumstances, not misdeed on my part--it is especially the time I want to all privileges and immunities. I consider it my first duty in a police encounter to protect my legal position to the fullest. I consider even a 24 hour detentionthat goes nowhere better thaninadvertantly giving them some piece of information that can be used for a malicious prosecution, or even an honest one that misinterpreted a piece of information.

Just as a side note. Perhaps a year ago I had this discussion with three LEO's on this forum. All arguing politely in favor of being cooperative. When I laid out my case for keeping quiet, including a rudimentary version of what Prof. Duane talks about in his video, the LEO dissentersgot quiet. I don't think they said another word.

David.Car

imported post

Venator wrote:
If this is true why are so many law suits won by being "detained and cuffed" for just a few minutes.
These cases pretty much always ends up that the officer didn't even have RAS to detain you in the first place.

What is being discussed above is if they had RAS, but were still trying to find proof of the crime they suspect you of having committed or intend to commit.