• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

They Pulled My permit

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Come on Alabama - get behind this.

Contact him in private - guide him to a good attorney.

You wanted your chance to change things - this may be it!

Premature maybe but if it comes to it, establish an assistance/legal fund.

Yata hey

Detour

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Detour wrote:
Should or could I file a report or complaint on that Officer at his department and also file it on him at the county and maybe send a copy to the Alabama Bearue of investigation????
Not yet - see above.

Yata hey

No not yet lol .... Im new to all this and getting a good attorney is whatI want how or where to find one is my problem not any in my countyI would trust as they all have to deal with the county and or the city where this is.

Who is Mike???? Forgive me but likeI said im new and would love to hire an attorney but only a good one..

Detour

imported post

I have talked to 1 guy but he says hes to far away and really didnt know alot sounded to me.

Another attorney was up north and would do a consult over phone but dang it cost 100.00 just to talk to him. Hes either good or just to high 100.00 just to talk about it WOW..

I have been out of work since 2002 due to a knee injury and filed for my ssi and got it this year my first check starts the 2nd wednesday of this month. It took me 2 and half yrs to get this even after paying in every week on checks and taxes and they take 2 and half yrs only after turning me down and getting an attorney did i get it. Which they will only go back to whenI filed plus 1 yr prior.

So I will have a lump sum due to me back to 2004 but attorney get 25% but not to exceed 5,300.00.

I dont even care ifI get any money from a lawsuit I just want a wrong made right and ifI did get any money. I might even have the Judge to put some toward all the departments in my county to go to school and learn the law or at least have the Departments educate there officers on the ocw law and ifI am done this way again slap a 5,000 or 10,000 or more fine for harrasment.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Also check with the Captian D's manager.
They might have security tapes that show the incident
since you were approached at the counter.
Get them before the LEO destroy them.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Clearly... you have been victimized by the local LEO's. Clearly... you should seek an attorney... possibly one who would take your case Pro Bono (free)... or for a percentage of the damages. (This happens all the time in personal injury cases.) The local Sheriff and deputies/cops KNOW what the LAW is... but don't agree with it. That's not their call. Unfortunately, you've been victimized by their prejudice, ignorance and abuse of authority. I don't like to use the term 'victim' easily... but if the shoe fits...

I'm a former cop. The actions of those involved was completely unprofessional and dangerous if as described. This is intentionalharrassment and intimidation to deprive YOU of a legitimate right to bear arms. I'm not in Alabama or cognizant of Alabama law... other than what's been posted here on this forum or available on the 'net. However... the LAW isn't anyone's personal opinion beyond those who's job it is to interpret the law. They wear black robes. They're not always right either... but that's another matter. 'Sounds like you've got a bunch'a 'good ol' boys' doin' whatever they damn well please. Get your act together... get all the information you have and GET A LAWYER! Good luck!

Sonora Rebel

imported post

SlackwareRobert wrote:
+100... Good call!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Detour wrote:
Hello,

I'm new here so forgive me for ifI post this in wrong place

I'm in Marshall County Alabama and I have been open carry for 6 months now and have had officers question me asking ifI was a cop and after telling them noI was not they then say you cant carry your weapon in the open. WellI had already seen this open carry site and had the AG's Opinion, called the attorney that helped Mr Mathis a (Mr. Hooper), the NRA, the DA of my county and also the Marshall County Sheriffs Office. Well it seems the only one who has told me open carry was illegal was the Sheriffs Office and local Police Officers.

The first time my permit was pulled was 3 months ago. I was at a store and 2 county Deputy's were there one pointed to my Beretta 92FS with crimson trace laser sites and said whats that. Daaaaaaaaa soI told him he said you cant carry that in the open, I then told meI had some paper work from an attorney and from the AG's office stating ocw was legal in Alabama and had also had talked with the AG's office and had been trying to get the Sheriffs office to confirm it but they didn't want to hear it or really see any paper workI had and stated unlessI had something from the Governor or the Sheriff saying thatI could ocw and ifI didn't put it in my truckI would go to jail soI told them out of respect for him and that badge thatI would do as hetold me as I was going to see my mom at the nursing home ( and noI wasn't going to take it in the nursing home). SoI put it in my truck. I went to the Sheriffs Office the next morning and the Deputy chief said the same thing and pounded on his desk that Alabama was not an ocw state and ifI did it again he would pull my permit and he didn't want to see anythingI had on it that he would look in to it himself if it was legal. SoI said OK ill ccw or leave it at home till you find out.

WellI called the NRA and got some advise and thought well ifthe Sheriffs office wouldn't look at my paper work when i had then ill fax it to them andI did so at 11:50 am and at 4:30 pm the same 2 Deputy's that first told meI couldn't do ocwcame to pick my permit up . I gave it to him and he saidI guess you can open carry now and kinda had my permit up a Lil waving it at me and said but you know you have to have the permit when you are in that truck. I said ohhhhhhhhI see 3 days ago ocw was illegal and cant but now it is and you take my permit knowing I have to have it when in a vehicle.

So I had faxed the same stuff to the DA's office and he called me on a Sunday of all days. He said he was aware of the ocw in Alabama and would call talk to the Sheriffs office and ifI didn't hear from them by 4 pm the next day call him back.

Lets just sayI got it back 2 days later there's more to this but in short on this part of it i drew up a paper saying i could ocw or ccw with 8 different variations and the Sheriff signed it.

So, on a SundayI was ocw in Captain D'sand I met my wife there and noticed a Boaz city cop car we go in order andI go get our drinks, forks and things and to find a table. I see the cop sitting with some of his family or friends and i pass his table well when my wife come to table I noticed some of my food was wrong asI go to counter to exchange the officer comes up to me and ask if I am a cop.I said no he ask why do you have that gun and i say for self-defense and personal protection. Well he says the same thing Ive heard over and over you cant carry that in open I'm a cop andI cant carry like that off duty . I saidI have some paper work in my truck stating thatI can. He ask me for ID and ifI had a permit and i said yes to carry concealed on or about me or in a vehicle but thatI was on foot. He took my ID and called in on radio he was out with a 1032 (man with gun) . I ask him if he would please just look at my paper work I could show him I even had an agreement with the Sheriff. Well when my ID came back clear and he said again I'm telling you you cant carry like that he grabbed my serpa lever 2 holster took out my pistol popped the clip out and pulled the slide and ejected the round and had activated my laser light.

All this was at the counter mind you. I told him we could do this outside and ask again please just look at my paper work that the DA's office said to keep in my truck for me to show any officer. Finally he goes to my truck still telling me i cant do that and says hes not going to argue with me about it and to prove his point he was taking my weapon and permit. So i show him my papers and it didn't do any good.

He told me ifI wanted it backI would have to talk with his Chief. SoI talk with him and he says if the DA wont press charges then you can come get the pistol back but if he does ill swear out a warrant on you andthe Chief said he would call me the next day, I said OK but if you get a warrant call ill come turn my self in .

Well, didn't hear anything Monday or Tuesday soI called on Wednesday and he said come get your pistol but you have to go to county to get the permit. I went to get my weapon and was missing 2 bullets. I go to the Sheriffs office and Chief Deputy saidI couldn't have it back thatI got into a conflict with an officer and he wasn't going to talk about saidI was alarming the public. He saidI could never get it back.

Ive never in 6 months had anyone call the police to me on me or anything all my encounters have been with cops that were already at the place whereI was at. I have even had 4 other Boaz city cops ask me about the same thing andI showed them my paper work and they sent me on my way

The officer that night even said you come in here with shorts (Tommy Hilfiger Khaki to be honest)tee shirt and flip-flops. I said well OfficerI didn't know there was a dress code to carry a weapon. I don't think he liked that.

Any way likeI said I'm new to this place and forgive my typing and English as you can see its well not good loll...

SoI got my pistol and no permit. As you can see the law here in my county is you are either with us or against us.The Sheriff saidI was alarming the public but yet Ive had no calls if soI thinkI would be first to know as any cop in radio distance would be all over me guns drawn and so on..So see it went to its illegal to now you are alarming the public

Sorry for being so long winded. Does anyone have any ides or thoughts on this

Thanks

DETOUR

Try to get in the habbit of taking the time to write shorter posts - you need an Alabama attorney to bring a legal action to force the police to return the unlawfully seized gun, and to force the permit issuing authority to reinstate the permit (I assume that is what needs to be done as I have a hard time following the long post).

In the meantime, you can still open carry on foot another pistol :)

Detour

imported post

Mikewote

Try to get in the habbit of taking the time to write shorter posts - you need an Alabama attorney to bring a legal action to force the police to return the unlawfully seized gun, and to force the permit issuing authority to reinstate the permit (I assume that is what needs to be done as I have a hard time following the long post).

In the meantime, you can still open carry on foot another pistol :)

Yeh. its a longpost and sorry for that, but asI stated im new and also this was the 2nd time they had pulled it . I listed them both in one post. I didnt see any need to list them seperate so forgive me for the length.

Also asI stated in my post whichI pasted here. I did get my weapon back 3 days later 2 bullets short. Its my permit they did not and wont give back.

I am looking now for an attorney. Do you know any good ones????

Thanks for the reply Mike

Well, didn't hear anything Monday or Tuesday soI called on Wednesday and he said come get your pistol but you have to go to county to get the permit. I went to get my weapon and was missing 2 bullets. I go to the Sheriffs office and Chief Deputy saidI couldn't have it back thatI got into a conflict with an officer and he wasn't going to talk about saidI was alarming the public. He saidI could never get it back.

Detour

imported post

SlackwareRobert wrote:

Good idea and they dont have any lol my luck. But the 2 women working at the counter seen it all and one even said he was an smart a**. Ihave talked tothe 2 women and they will back me up.

Thanks for the reply

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Worth a shot, Just make shure you hold out for a nice video/audio recorder
in the setelment:lol:. Maybe an Obama signed sheet next!
Unfortunately you angered the leo by shoving the fact he couldn't read in his face.
They do not like this, so in the future name and bore size only.
And dress warmly in huntsville, the jail cells are very chilly.:banghead:

Check out the know your rights videos linked in these forums sometimes.
good general info, and the gun rights info linked also. Pay lots of attention to the
q & a about being detained.

Gotta be prepared for those dead zombie relatives next time.

denthack

imported post

Good Find 45-ACP

Unfortunatly the 2 lawyers mentioned are in South Alabama. However one mention in Marietta GA is only 3 hours from Marshall County. It's likely he can practice in Alabama.

I wounder if any of the Lawyers that work with GeorgiaCarry.org would be interested in looking into this case?

Detour

imported post

45-ACP wrote:
this link is supposed to be a list of RTKABA attorneys in the states hope it helps

http://home.comcast.net/~dsmjd/tux/dsmjd/law/lawr_list.htm

Thanks but it only list 2 in Alabama. One is a Personal Injury attorney the other hes a NRA member but does not know much about gun laws in alabama lol i just called them ..

Im seeing how hard it is for people to get help and see why alot of people have been sent to jail. OMG are there anycivil rights attorney that know the gun laws in alabama.

I mean come on with all the hunters here and guns you would think an attorney would be easy to find lol. Well an attorney is easy to find just not the kind of oneI need:).And all the good ones are out of state and cant practice in alabama. I see why people give up and give in.

I wouldnt use an attorney in my county for nothing , they all do business with the city and Sheriffs office and god for bid they were to sue and win

Thanks for tring to help

Detour

imported post

denthack wrote:
Good Find 45-ACP

Unfortunatly the 2 lawyers mentioned are in South Alabama. However one mention in Marietta GA is only 3 hours from Marshall County. It's likely he can practice in Alabama.

I wounder if any of the Lawyers that work with GeorgiaCarry.org would be interested in looking into this case?

Well if you find one let me know. Im ready to roll and just need back up lol :)

Plus those 2 mentioned cant help one is wrong kind of attorney the other dont really know all there is to know about the ocw law to bring suit :(

Thanks for your reply and willingness to help.

( You have to stand for something..... or you will fall for anything) Aaron Tippin

denthack

imported post

Detour wrote:
( You'vegotto stand for somethin'..... or you'll fall for anything) Aaron Tippin

One of my favorite songs. I'm glad to hear you are ready to make your case heard. Both for your self and the great bennefit it can bring to other gun owners. I'm sore it will be a small crowd rallying behind you intill the ball gets rolling, but we will all do what we can to recruit more support! I'm glad to hear you have been trying to make contact with lawyers. I wait eargerly to hear that you have selected one!

I'm sending you a PM with my personal e-mail and phone number. I look forward to doing what I can to help.

Maybe next time i'm up in that area we can grab some lunch at Capn D's! :lol:

Detour

imported post

denthack wrote:
Detour wrote:
( You'vegotto stand for somethin'..... or you'll fall for anything) Aaron Tippin

One of my favorite songs. I'm glad to hear you are ready to make your case heard. Both for your self and the great bennefit it can bring to other gun owners. I'm sore it will be a small crowd rallying behind you intill the ball gets rolling, but we will all do what we can to recruit more support! I'm glad to hear you have been trying to make contact with lawyers. I wait eargerly to hear that you have selected one!

I'm sending you a PM with my personal e-mail and phone number. I look forward to doing what I can to help.

Maybe next time i'm up in that area we can grab some lunch at Capn D's! :lol:
Thanks, that sounds great any time :)

Detour

imported post

Hi guys.....Ive made changes to my long post made it a little shorter and took out names.

Please look at it and see if its ok or if i still need to delet it

denthack

imported post

Delete it. Maintain a documented discription so you don't forget any details and can provide a detailed recount to your lawyer. Can you scan copies of those document from the DA?