• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Affordable 9mm

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Makarov 9x18mm... It's the short round, not 9mm 'Luger'. Also available in .380 acp. You can find them for around $200. or less. Mine has never failed to feed or extract... but I've had problems with Chinese ammo failing to fire. The slide is a bit stiff for some women. They don't have the finger grip strength required to pull the slide back. That many be the case with may autoloaders. You may wish to consider a .38 or .357 cal.double action revolver... 5 or 6 shot... no safety's to fool with. The original 'point and click' interface. If you just want'a not think about a whole lot in a self defense situation, a wheel gun is the ticket.

hp-hobo

imported post

I'd like to second two suggestions.

1. We recently purchased a surplus Sig 225 P6 for my wife to add to her ever increasing collection of Euro handguns. Two range trips and500 rounds later, she's found it to be incredibly accurate, easy to shoot and a doddle to maintain. The price is right too at about $300 depending on where you buy one. The only shortcoming I see is the mag capacity of eight rounds. On the other hand, in a defense situation you're still supposed to take proper aim instead of doing the spray and pray. Eight rounds should easily take out 3 BG's.

2. MilSurp firearms in 9x18. I have both a PA-63 and a P64 that's in my pocket right now. Extremely cheap to buy, maybe more accurate than the above mentioned Sig and almost as cheap to shoot as 9mm Luger. Unfortunately, they also have low mag capacities, 7 and 6 respectively, but then how many rounds would an S&W Model 10 get you?

The most important thing is to get a gun that feels good in your hands and that you can trust. If it doesn't meet both of those criteria you won't practice with it, you won't carry it or you won't use it if the need arises.

Good luck.

Edit: Almost forgot. The Hi-Point C9 is a cheap and incredible accurate handgun. They're also reliable to a fault, although people who've never owned or even shot one will tell you differently. They come with an 8 round mag and you can get 10 rounders. The downside is size and weight. They are, shall we say, big and heavy.

Eeyore

imported post

KatieVT wrote:
I'm definitely going to look at the PT92. I have a Taurus .22 revolver (model 94SS5) and its a nice gun.

A friend just purchased Taurus's version of the 1911. I thought it felt and looked nice, but didn't get a chance to shoot it. Probably at Christmas - we tend to have some type of firearm activity. :D
Katie,
First of all, greetings from an itinerant Vermonter. :cool:

Second, what is the intended use for your handgun? If it's for in-the-house or open carry, aweapon the size of the PT92 is fine. If it's concealed carry, you would probably want something smaller than a PT92 (with its 5" barrel and 15-round magazine). In that price range, I'd suggest a Taurus PT111 (about $350), M&P9 subcompact (~$450), or a compact revolver. If you could find a used Sig P239 at a good price, that would also be a good choice for CCW.

There's also the Bersa Thunder in .380. Taurus is supposedly also selling a new model, the PT809, a 9mm which is smaller than a PT92 but bigger than a PT111--if you can find one.
Happy shopping!

[ETA] If you feel like trying something different, EAA sells the Zastava EZ for about $400. www.eaacorp.com Gunsatcost.com had the older version (the Daly ZDA) for under $300!

David.Car

imported post

hp-hobo wrote:
1. We recently purchased a surplus Sig 225 P6 for my wife to add to her ever increasing collection of Euro handguns. Two range trips and500 rounds later, she's found it to be incredibly accurate, easy to shoot and a doddle to maintain. The price is right too at about $300 depending on where you buy one. The only shortcoming I see is the mag capacity of eight rounds. On the other hand, in a defense situation you're still supposed to take proper aim instead of doing the spray and pray. Eight rounds should easily take out 3 BG's.
Just ordered one yesterday, $269, no tax, free shipping and handeling, comeing with 2 mags and leather duty holster, and hand picked for quality. After my $20 transfer fee, talking about a sub 300 dollar Sig... Can't wait.

ghostrider

imported post

David.Car wrote:
hp-hobo wrote:
Just ordered one yesterday, $269, no tax, free shipping and handeling, comeing with 2 mags and leather duty holster, and hand picked for quality. After my $20 transfer fee, talking about a sub 300 dollar Sig... Can't wait.
Probably the best deal in handguns at this time. Don't know about holsters though.

Something the OP should definitely keep in mind is holsters. There's a lot of guns out there, but not all of them will have an available holster to suit one's needs. This is something that should be considered before purchasing a gun.

Not knocking the P6. I handled a few of them and was tempted myself at such a cheap price. Good guns.

KatieVT

imported post

So, I stopped in at a local gun shop today...

Theyhad a couple of Sig Sauers - a used P225 & a new P250 w/night sights. They both seemed to fit well into my hand. Also hada S&W Sigma9mm. It was larger/heavier than the Sigs, but also seemed to fit well in my hand. The guy said it was a little big to carry - he's assuming I'll beCCing! The Glock 26 grip felt too small/short. The Ruger P95 felt too "clunky".

He didn't recommend Taurus - says their revolvers are great, but he's found their semi-auto pistols are unreliable.I'm sure you guys will havesome input! I discovered last night that my friend, who I thought had a .45, actually has a P92. He loves it - has put 500 rounds through it in his first 3 months.HesaysIcan try it out, but I'm not sure our families will be meeting up until Christmas. :(

There isn't arange in the area that rents out handguns.

ghostrider

imported post

Have you read corneredcat's website yet?

That's where you should start. You can ask advice from us, but she gives good info on how to properly find a gun that fits your hand.

David.Car

imported post

KatieVT wrote:
He loves it - has put 500 rounds through it in his first 3 months.
Scoff. ;)

If there is no range that rents weapons try to hook up with people at the range who let you fire there weapons (private rentals so to speak?)

NWGirl

imported post

ghostrider wrote:
Have you read corneredcat's website yet?

That's where you should start. You can ask advice from us, but she gives good info on how to properly find a gun that fits your hand.
I'm with Ghostrider on this one. I sat in front of my laptop with my cleared gun and not only made sure mine fit me well but also practiced racking the slide and learning how to clear it if there was a FTF or any other type of jam. Of course those were practiced without any ammo so I had to pretend but being a visual person the site helped me. She also has info on how to draw not just from a holster but also a hip sack and she discusses purse drawing. And all kinds of other stuff!

grimstar

imported post

+1 to most of the other posts. The best thing to do is try as many different guns as you can, as everyone's hands are different, and how a gun fits your hand makes a BIG difference.

As far as suggestions for which ones might be worth trying first, may I suggest the Bersa Thunder9 UC, also sold under the brand name Firestorm. 9mm caliber and completely reliable, in my experience.

There is a forum online for Bersa owners, and everyone there who has a Thunder 9 or Firestorm raves about them. I have one myself, and have to agree with them, it's a great handgun...and the price is right at about $300, give or take a few dollars.

The only downside is that spare mags are a bit expensive, but not really that bad.

The upside is that the Thunder 9 carries 12 rounds, with factory mags, has ambidextrous controls, and pretty decent sights, right out of the box.

The Bersa Thunder series is also available in .40 (10 rounds in ultra-compact) and .45 (7 rounds...) .

And another bit of trivia...the grip shape and size on the Thunder 9 UC is exactly the same as a Makarov fitted with the Pierce aftermarket grips...I have both.

Grimstar

squisher

imported post

KatieVT wrote:
So, I stopped in at a local gun shop today...

Theyhad a couple of Sig Sauers - a used P225 & a new P250 w/night sights. They both seemed to fit well into my hand. Also hada S&W Sigma9mm. It was larger/heavier than the Sigs, but also seemed to fit well in my hand. The guy said it was a little big to carry - he's assuming I'll beCCing! The Glock 26 grip felt too small/short. The Ruger P95 felt too "clunky".

He didn't recommend Taurus - says their revolvers are great, but he's found their semi-auto pistols are unreliable.I'm sure you guys will havesome input! I discovered last night that my friend, who I thought had a .45, actually has a P92. He loves it - has put 500 rounds through it in his first 3 months.HesaysIcan try it out, but I'm not sure our families will be meeting up until Christmas. :(

There isn't arange in the area that rents out handguns.
The local store around here wouldn't hesitate to recommend a Taurus, and I've run probably just under 1000 through mine with 0 issues that were the gun's fault (like 2 or 3 instances where it didn't eject right because my wife limp-wristed it, never ever been an issue for me -- all issues happened with Winchester White Box 9mm range ammo).

That being said, if you are a little on the low side on wrist strength, an automatic may not be the best choice. The best advice has been given, shoot, shoot, and shoot some more!

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I haven't shot a Sig P225 and have only held one example. However, I do have a P228 I love which my fiancee has pretty much claimed as her own.

I am considering a P225, which is essentially a 1/4" thinner, 1/4" shorter grip, single stack P228 for CC. Maybe the little woman will like the thinner profile and give me back my P228 ;)

Given the current prices mentioned here the P225 would be a fabulous, cost-effective 9mm choice for a new or advanced gun owner.

David.Car

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
I haven't shot a Sig P225 and have only held one example. However, I do have a P228 I love which my fiancee has pretty much claimed as her own.

I am considering a P225, which is essentially a 1/4" thinner, 1/4" shorter grip, single stack P228 for CC. Maybe the little woman will like the thinner profile and give me back my P228 ;)

Given the current prices mentioned here the P225 would be a fabulous, cost-effective 9mm choice for a new or advanced gun owner.
Now remember, there is a difference between the P225 and P6 as well... Basically just who it was made for. The P6 is the same firearm as a P225 but was made for the German police, it is the one currently found for under 300 in a lot of places. A strict P225 will still run you a bit more :)

TheMrMitch

imported post

I'll chime in here if I may. The Makarovsin 9x18are now going for $250 and up.

The CZ82 (pic below) goes for $169 at J&G with a little rougher finish. Most places have them for $200 with two mags, holster (military/police) and cleaning rod. These pistols hold 13 rounds of the 9x18 round which is a hot little round. My Daughter carries a CZ82 bummed from dear old dad. For the ladies, this is my choice....I carry one when my Glock isn't feasable.:)

**ADDED: Ambidextrous safety and mag release. Double action too. Can be carried cocked and locked.

cz82_pistolbig.jpg

HungSquirrel

imported post

9x18 firearms are great, but keep a couple of things in mind if you're considering one:

- 9x18mm is not the same thing as 9x19mm. 9x19mm is far more common, and the ammo is cheaper. 9x19mm will not work in a 9x18mm handgun.

- 9x18mm firearms are less common in the US, so you may have difficulty finding a good holster for one. Always keep holster availability in mind when shopping for a carry piece. :)

TheMrMitch

imported post

HS....correct on the holster.....but they can be found with a little search....thanks for mentioning that. I have bought the ammo for $.12 per round (not anymore) and it can be bought at a lot of places.

How hot is the cartridge? Wellllll....I fired a 95 gr Barnaul JHP into a gallon jug of solidICE. The bullet travelled 3.25 inches and broke into nine pieces. Plenty hot for self defense. Shown below.

Another cheaper, small 9x18 to consider is the PA63 and the P64. The PA63 can be had for $99 dollars at times. The P64 under $200 easy.Both are reliable too. I have a total of eight of the Cz82, PA63, P64 and Makarovs.and 18 others of different calibers.

9x18jhp-1.jpg

icode

imported post

TheMrMitch wrote:
HS....correct on the holster.....but they can be found with a little search....thanks for mentioning that. I have bought the ammo for $.12 per round (not anymore) and it can be bought at a lot of places.

How hot is the cartridge? Wellllll....I fired a 95 gr Barnaul JHP into a gallon jug of solidICE. The bullet travelled 3.25 inches and broke into nine pieces. Plenty hot for self defense. Shown below.

Another cheaper, small 9x18 to consider is the PA63 and the P64. The PA63 can be had for $99 dollars at times. The P64 under $200 easy.Both are reliable too. I have a total of eight of the Cz82, PA63, P64 and Makarovs.and 18 others of different calibers.

9x18jhp-1.jpg
Isn't the 9x18 very similar or the same as the .380ACP???

TheMrMitch

imported post

The calibers are thus: 9x17 (.380) ...next higher is 9x18 called the Makarov caliber and then the 9x19 (9mm).:D

ADDED: Not recommended to exchange any of the three in different caliber pistols. Catastrophic failures can occur (if it fits). No matter what you've heard. Only the 1895 Nagant Russian pistol will work using different ammo. All that ammo is low powered.

Interesting note: The CZ82 has a Polygonal barrel....no lands and grooves. It looks smoothbore! Not recommended for lead bullets.:what: