• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Affordable 9mm

icode

imported post

TheMrMitch wrote:
The calibers are thus: 9x17 (.380) ...next higher is 9x18 called the Makarov caliber and then the 9x19 (9mm).:D
So then I suppose if the OP is considering a Mak he should also consider .380, since they are all technically 9mm???

TheMrMitch

imported post

icode wrote:
TheMrMitch wrote:
The calibers are thus: 9x17 (.380) ...next higher is 9x18 called the Makarov caliber and then the 9x19 (9mm).:D
So then I suppose if the OP is considering a Mak he should also consider .380, since they are all technically 9mm???

You could say that. Of course, the 9x17 (.380) is a little more anemic than the 9x18 Mak round, and 9x18 is a little moreanemic than the 9x19 (9mm) round.

Basically a matter of choice.

Ruger P95

imported post

I myself have owned my P95 for about 4 or 5 years and yes i have to agree ive spent ALOT of shells thru it and have not had one bad instance. I added the Hogue fingered grips to mine and i fell in love with the gun all over.This is my baby below - ive kept her in pristine condition for the faithful service she has provided me enuf of the sappy stuff - if it fits ur hand you cant go wrong with one my $0.02

PICT1128.jpg

G

imported post

Boy, I wish I had time to read all these posts. My wife just got her Kahr CW9. She Loves the feel (its nice and thin to fit her hand well), and (with a LOT of practice) you can shoot it really well. (The trigger has a REALLLLLLLLLY LOOOONNNNNNGGGG pull(a lot like a revolver)).

Just go with what you like.

G

imported post

Ruger P95 wrote:
I myself have owned my P95 for about 4 or 5 years and yes i have to agree ive spent ALOT of shells thru it and have not had one bad instance. I added the Hogue fingered grips to mine and i fell in love with the gun all over.This is my baby below - ive kept her in pristine condition for the faithful service she has provided me enuf of the sappy stuff - if it fits ur hand you cant go wrong with one my $0.02
Same here. I just sold my P95DC to pay for wife's said Kahr. I loved that gun, and miss it dearly. I think the grips may be too big for OP's hands, being she is female. :D

KatieVT

imported post

GnGKlinger wrote:
Boy, I wish I had time to read all these posts. My wife just got her Kahr CW9. She Loves the feel (its nice and thin to fit her hand well), and (with a LOT of practice) you can shoot it really well. (The trigger has a REALLLLLLLLLY LOOOONNNNNNGGGG pull(a lot like a revolver)).

Well, I did some shopping today... went to two gun shops, both of which were really busy - and not just with deer season shopping.

One of them had a Kahr CW9 which I really like. They didn't have one the last time I went. Seems like a really concealable gun, but also probably wouldn't be noticed much if I open carried while wearing black jeans.

Another one I like is the Smith & Wesson SW9VE. They are selling it for $349.99 with a S&W rebate of $50.00 OR 2 extra mags.

I've been reading corneredcat.com and other websites besides this forum and have been learning a lot. I think it would be a good idea to attend a pistol course, just so I really know how to handle it well. I forgot to ask if theyknew of any courses in the area. The closest NRA courses are inNH.

Ruger P95

imported post

Katie, I have shot my buddies Sw9ve many times. If i hadnt found the deal on my P95, that was going to be gun of choice. Its a tad lighter than the P95. Its a well made gun. The thing i miss from my Ruger that the Sigma series has, is the tactical rail built in. that would be a big plus on the ruger. ive looked at the aftermarket rails and none really pop out at me

ghostrider

imported post

KatieVT wrote:
GnGKlinger wrote:

Well, I did some shopping today... went to two gun shops, both of which were really busy - and not just with deer season shopping.

One of them had a Kahr CW9 which I really like. They didn't have one the last time I went. Seems like a really concealable gun, but also probably wouldn't be noticed much if I open carried while wearing black jeans.

Another one I like is the Smith & Wesson SW9VE. They are selling it for $349.99 with a S&W rebate of $50.00 OR 2 extra mags.

I've been reading corneredcat.com and other websites besides this forum and have been learning a lot. I think it would be a good idea to attend a pistol course, just so I really know how to handle it well. I forgot to ask if theyknew of any courses in the area. The closest NRA courses are inNH.
Good for you in exercising the diligence necessary for making a sound choice. The Kahr is a nice weapon, and one I personally wouldn't mind owning. They have a lot of good qualities for not only a CC piece, but also are slim enough that they fit smaller hands.

I personally wouldn't recommend the S&WSW9VE for a beginner handgunner. The reason being that it doesn't have the best trigger. Don't get me wrong. I think it's a great gun that I believe should be relieable, and trustworthy (albeit an inexperienced opinion), that will give service for years to come. I just don't think it's a good first gun for someone who hasn't gotten comfortable with handgunning yet. I do okay with a Glock, but when I tried a S&W J-Frame (heavy trigger), I noticed that it wasn't nearly as easy to shoot accurately as the Glock was. That's just the nature of a heavy trigger pull.

However, that opinion doesn't take into account some other possible factors. You may not have any problem with the trigger, and it may be fine for you. That is why it's a good idea to shoot (hopefully a rental) before buying. I would recommend at least dry firing the gun a few times (with the propreitors permission) to get a feel for it. Look for the front sight dancing around during the pull. Even if the trigger doesn't work well for you now, that doesn't mean that you won't have the means to eventually master it. It's something you can only ascertain. I also don't know if there are aftermarket parts for changing the trigger. That may be something to look into.

Don't forget holsters. You'll need at least one, so make sure they are available for the gun before you buy it. Often people will buy a gun, and then complain that it's hard to find holsters for it. If possible try out the holster, and different concealment techniquest with both holster and gun. When buying my handgun, my dealer was good enough to allow me to try on both holster/s and gun, and lood in the mirror to check for concealement (sold me at least three holsters that way). Think about how you intend to carry the gun, and make sure it will work for you before buying. Buy smart, buy once.

Daddyo

imported post

I'll toss out another option you may not have thought of. A new Keltec PF9 (Serial #RAxxx or higher). Its a lightweight single stack 9mm. I got it for myself, but my wife is already thinking of hi-jacking it (she currently carries a Keltec P32). Some have complained about the trigger pull, but I don't find it any worse than the double action pull on my Ruger P89, and certainly lighter than the S&W 642. Its a long pull compared to a single action or Glock, but not any longer than any other double action.

ghostrider

imported post

Daddyo wrote:
I'll toss out another option you may not have thought of. A new Keltec PF9 (Serial #RAxxx or higher). Its a lightweight single stack 9mm. I got it for myself, but my wife is already thinking of hi-jacking it (she currently carries a Keltec P32). Some have complained about the trigger pull, but I don't find it any worse than the double action pull on my Ruger P89, and certainly lighter than the S&W 642. Its a long pull compared to a single action or Glock, but not any longer than any other double action.
The pull of the PF9 isn't that bad. It's the P-11 that's bad.

Daddyo

imported post

I compared them side by side and didn't notice any difference. Of course that's the latest generation of both. I understand the early P11's needed a winch to pull the trigger.

ghostrider

imported post

Daddyo wrote:
I compared them side by side and didn't notice any difference. Of course that's the latest generation of both. I understand the early P11's needed a winch to pull the trigger.
It must have been the older P11's that I looked at then. I did look at them at about three different stores. I didn't think the P9's was that much worse than any striker fired DA.

KatieVT

imported post

ghostrider wrote:
I personally wouldn't recommend the S&WSW9VE for a beginner handgunner. The reason being that it doesn't have the best trigger. Don't get me wrong. I think it's a great gun that I believe should be relieable, and trustworthy (albeit an inexperienced opinion), that will give service for years to come. I just don't think it's a good first gun for someone who hasn't gotten comfortable with handgunning yet. I do okay with a Glock, but when I tried a S&W J-Frame (heavy trigger), I noticed that it wasn't nearly as easy to shoot accurately as the Glock was. That's just the nature of a heavy trigger pull.

However, that opinion doesn't take into account some other possible factors. You may not have any problem with the trigger, and it may be fine for you. That is why it's a good idea to shoot (hopefully a rental) before buying. I would recommend at least dry firing the gun a few times (with the propreitors permission) to get a feel for it. Look for the front sight dancing around during the pull. Even if the trigger doesn't work well for you now, that doesn't mean that you won't have the means to eventually master it. It's something you can only ascertain. I also don't know if there are aftermarket parts for changing the trigger. That may be something to look into.
Would a revolver have a heavy trigger pull usually? I have a Taurus .22 revolver that I've been shooting. I'm just wondering if the Sigma trigger pull would be similar.

ghostrider

imported post

KatieVT wrote:
ghostrider wrote:

Would a revolver have a heavy trigger pull usually? I have a Taurus .22 revolver that I've been shooting. I'm just wondering if the Sigma trigger pull would be similar.
Chances are that since the Sigma is striker fired DA, and the revolver has a hammer, they will be different. However, they're all different, so it depends on the particular model, and the particular gun, as well as the particular shooter. If that revolver is DA/SA, or SA, then it's probably not going to be as heavy in SA, but again it can vary between weapons. This is one of the reasons why people like 1911's so much. The light, SA trigger translates to better shot placement.

Look, do not discount a particular gun just because I said it has a heavy trigger pull. Go to the shop and try them for yourself. Always ask permission to dry fire the gun, then make sure to point in a safe direction. Do not do this with your .22, or any other rimfire. However, for most centerfire guns, it shouldn't be a problem. If you shoot. You ultimately know your capabilities better than some guy on the internet. Lots of people shoot Glocks, and they come with 6lb triggers. Then again, the trigger is also why lots of people don't like the Glock. YYMV. If you want to get an idea of how a heavy trigger can feel, pick up a J-Frame Airweight (642 or 442) and give it a try. Look down the sights like you going to shoot at a target, and pay attention to the front sights movement as you pull the trigger in DA. Wherever that sight is when the trigger breaks is where your going to shoot. They 642/442 has about a 12lb trigger (unless a smith has worked it), but it's a smooth pull. Heavy, but smooth. The Kel-Tec P-11's I've looked at had a terrible trigger pull. It was smooth up to a point where the majority of the resistance resided, and it staged there. The P9's that I've looked at OTH, didn't have that problem, and I found the trigger tolerable. If they've solved that problem with the P-11's, then that would be a plus.

A lot of people shoot guns with heavy triggers, and a lot of people are very happy with their Sigmas . There are a lot of different variables between gun and shooter that determine if the gun is a good fit for the shooter. That's why it's best to shoot them before buying if possibel, but to also handle and dry fire. Ultimately, it's what you feel comfortable and confident with.

shad0wfax

imported post

ghostrider wrote:
The pull of the PF9 isn't that bad. It's the P-11 that's bad.
+1 for the Kel-Tec PF-9 if you're on a tight budget and need a carry gun that you don't plan to put a ton of rounds through. (Be careful with +P ammo, the pistol can shoot it, but it will wear out if you shoot alot of it.)

TechnoWeenie

imported post

The Taurus PT-92 was my first carry pistol and I loved it.... I then switched to the Glock 17 for more aftermarket accys and weight savings...

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I've been carrying a Makarov IJ-70 (9x18mm) laoned to me by my boss. It's midsized in frame I guess and can be CC'd fairly easy, although I OC. This one has a decocker safety which makes keeping one in the pipe an option. The mag holds 8 rounds. It's DA/SA so all you have to do if you have one in the pipe is flip the safety off and pull the trigger (long pull for first shot). Seems to have a lite trigger. I haven't been able to get a tight grouping with it yet, but I'm working on it.

I've been burning Wolf ammo (green cartidge) FMJ through it with no problems, and have found it to be about the same price as 9x19 ammo, maybe even less in bulk (250, 500, 1000 rds) I recently purchased 500 rds for $88 from Sportsmans guide.

The best shooting I've done with a 9mm was a couple weeks ago when I shot my bosses Berretta 92 FS (same model the military used). I had never shot it before and I tore the crap out of the bullseye at 20 ft slow fire. The recoil seemed to be less than the Mak, probably due to the longer barrel (5" vs 3.5").

TechnoWeenie

imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
Glock 19. If that is too big to carry, get a Glock 26.

I OC and CC (IWB) a G17, if a G19 is too big, something's wrong... :D

..Well, that, or you're too skinny :lol: