• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Affordable 9mm

camsoup

imported post

Ruger P95 wrote:
Katie, I have shot my buddies Sw9ve many times. If i hadnt found the deal on my P95, that was going to be gun of choice. Its a tad lighter than the P95. Its a well made gun. The thing i miss from my Ruger that the Sigma series has, is the tactical rail built in. that would be a big plus on the ruger. ive looked at the aftermarket rails and none really pop out at me
Sounds like its time to buy ANOTHER P95, :D

95's Now come with a built in rail and textured grips. I have approx 900 trouble free rounds through mine and would recommened one to anyone.

$329 plus tax/dros is what I paid.

KansasMustang

imported post

First let me welcome you, HOWDY. Next thing as everyone has their own opinions I also have mine. While a 9MM is a good weapon my advice would be a .40 cal or even .45. Just me sayin it. But in self defense or combat you need a round that will stop someone NOW. 9MM's to me are just okay, I have a Ruger P89 and still love it, had it for about 20 years or more, but a .40 or .45 puts 'em on the ground, right this second. I would recommend, if for concealed carry, the KAHR .40 or .45. My brother has a .40 and he loves it. Very little if any recoil and the ammunition packs almost as much punch as a .45. Plus you get the smaller version and even tho' they only have 6 or 7 rounds that's more than enough. About $600 for a new one. Just me sayin it

icode

imported post

camsoup wrote:
Ruger P95 wrote:
Katie, I have shot my buddies Sw9ve many times. If i hadnt found the deal on my P95, that was going to be gun of choice. Its a tad lighter than the P95. Its a well made gun. The thing i miss from my Ruger that the Sigma series has, is the tactical rail built in. that would be a big plus on the ruger. ive looked at the aftermarket rails and none really pop out at me
Sounds like its time to buy ANOTHER P95, :D

95's Now come with a built in rail and textured grips. I have approx 900 trouble free rounds through mine and would recommened one to anyone.

$329 plus tax/dros is what I paid.
Yes they do. Mine is only a few months old and has it. The recoild spring seems to be a bit lighter on these, that couples with the ergonomics and lack of "kick" it is now my wife's favorite pistol to shoot. FWIW. Also - no fails or jams on mine either, that weren't operator error.

1911crazy

imported post

Recently I went looking for a 9mm after all these many years of not owning one. I was on the fence about buying new or used. Then i found a CZ85DB in the used case with the box and papers for just $299 in excellent and appears to be unshot condition. It has the double action trigger on the first shot so there's no need to carry it cocked and locked. I like that alone for safety reasons. After shooting it I really liked it. I went back looking for more CZ's. I also purchased the CZ83 in 380acp, the CZ83 in 9mm mak(rare) and then the CZ82 in 9mm mak was offered for just $189 in very good to good condition. After shooting it i went after a CZ82 in excellent condition for my pistol collection. My first CZ82 became my new CCW gun. The CZ82's come with two 12rd mags, cleaning stuff and aq military style holster. I found an in the pants holster at http://www.midwayusa.com and the rest is history.

The CZ pistols are double action on the first shot, some are amberdexterious too. There also the choice of the russian spec ops.(CZ75 in 9mm luger)

Overall I think the CZ82 in 9mm mak is the pistol, its small and with 1 in the pipe and 12 in the mag at an affordable price thats hard to beat.

Now you have to pick the one that feels good in your hand. Remember the grips can be changed too. I really like the full wrap around rubber grips but thats me. You can also adjust the recoil by changing the recoil spring to a stronger one. I did this on my CZ85DB and it handles so much smoother with less recoil. I went to wolf springs and went up two sizes stronger. Remember were tuning the pistol to the ammo were using too. I shoot mainly wolf 9mm luger ammo.

jeeper1

imported post

The CZ82 is a superb pistol (I have two of them and love them) but the 9x18 cartridge is nothing more than a 380 auto +P. That, in my opinion, makes it inadequate for self defense except as a last resort after your first pistol has ran out of ammo.

1911crazy

imported post

I thought the 9mm mak round would be wimpy over the 9mm luger but its not. It has plenty of firepower. To me its the perfect carry gun(CZ82).

Yes it does take more 9mm rounds to do the same damage as the 40cal and 45acp.

Were bringing back the old 1911's in 45acp in the wars too because of the 9mm's lacking the stopping power with the bad guys. They get wounded and they still are fighting us. :cuss: But thats a different situation over there than here.

Gordie

imported post

I have an EAA Witness, which is a CZ-75 clone. I have had real good luck and they can be had for under $400.

ghostrider

imported post

1911crazy wrote:
I thought the 9mm mak round would be wimpy over the 9mm luger but its not. It has plenty of firepower. To me its the perfect carry gun(CZ82).

Yes it does take more 9mm rounds to do the same damage as the 40cal and 45acp.

Were bringing back the old 1911's in 45acp in the wars too because of the 9mm's lacking the stopping power with the bad guys. They get wounded and they still are fighting us
. :cuss: But thats a different situation over there than here.
If your going to restrict yourself to FMJ, then a .45 is probably a better choice over a 9mm, If you can effectively shoot the gun.

chad pf-9

imported post

I see someone already suggested a Keltec PF-9.I have one.ran about 400 rnds. or so through it,with no failures.The DAO trigger isn't that bad,& it has an internal hammer,so it is simular to a revolver.

I also have a Taurus 27/7 PRO,.40 cal.put about 200 through it so far with out any problems.I think the 3rd Gen taurus semi auto pistols are great.the 24/7 PRO was theNRA Golden Bullseye Handgun of the Yearin 2005.The Millenium PRO 9mm also is a nice too.My buddy has one.he loves it.It is campact,& reliable.

Then I havemy "classic"(thats what I call it)-my Ruger P89,9mm.Been having it for the past 10 years,& has never let me down.

The best thing though,like everyone else has been saying,is go out & shoot different guns,& see what YOU like.I don't know how other ranges are,but the one where I live is outdoors,& 90% of the people there will let you run a few rounds through their gun to check it out.I've shot more different guns than I can remember out there.I've done the same with mine.

1911crazy

imported post

My norinco 1911a1 with the full length guide rod and recoil spring kit (18#) has cut the recoil down by 50% on it. Its very controllable now to shoot and with less over travel it cut down the cycle timing so a quick second shot is ready right away much faster than it was in its orginal state.

Seeing the results from this has me wanting to tune all my auto's.

1911crazy

imported post

Longhorn Fan wrote:
Took some nerve to buy a Norinco, but I'm glad it has worked out for you. Enjoy.
The norinco 1911a1 is the best 45acp i have ever owned. I have had new colts and springers that never functioned properly right out of the box. Plus the frame on the norinco is forged which makes it the best for doing builds its a good platfrom.

Longhorn Fan

imported post

I have given some thought to tricking out my 1911, but it shoots just fine as is. No sense spending $100's getting a half inch better group. I carry a little shorty Colt .38 six shot revolver in my pickup for felon repellant. My theory is that .38s have stopped alot of bad guys in the past and would lookmuch better in Court than something bigger. But then again..........I'd rather be judged bytwelve than carried by six! Egad! Maybe I'll carry both! :shock:

Longhorn Fan

imported post

:celebrate

You're the man!!!

If I ever grow up, I want to be just like you.

Sounds like you had a pretty good approach to your project.

BTW - you wouldn't be an AR fan would you?

1911crazy

imported post

No i don't like the over priced black rifles that have slammed and jammed since there beginning. Just give me a simple sks or ak that i don't have to pamper and clean so much.

Right now the new russian izhmash saiga is the hottest buy on the planet and it comes in 223rem or 308win.

Longhorn Fan

imported post

A Russian WHAT????

I have never heard of such a critter.

I have had splendid luck with my ARs. Yes, they are pricey! Especially since the gun buying frenzy took hold about five weeks ago. I got my current Rock River A4 prior to the frenzy and it has about doubled in value. Romanian AKs have been selling for more than $700. That seems just crazy.