• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Obama coming to Newport News

1000ydshooter

Formerly Kwajalein atoll, and Iraq. Now Zuni Va
imported post

Obama is coming to Newport News sat.He will be speaking at Victory Landing park. Anyone up for a grou[ trip?According to the Daily press Here is what not to bring to the rally

What not to bring: For security reasons, do not bring bags and please limit personal items. No lawn chairs, or coolers will be allowed inside the park. No signs or banners permitted. There will be water provided at the event.

Notice anything missing?

ScottyT

imported post

How about a class action lawsuit against the feds for harassing a group of peaceful diners having lunch a block away? :uhoh:

Somebody go and ask him "I am really worried about the problem of gun violence in this country, what are you going to do to fix it?"

Thundar

imported post

Don't go in Don't Tread on Me, stay just outside the S.S. victim disarmament zone. There are no restrictions there.

For anybody else bringing a rifle to cling to, remember that 18.2-287.4 (Assault Weapons) applies in the city of Newport News.

§ 18.2-287.4. Carrying loaded firearms in public areas prohibited; penalty.

It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded (a) semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (b) shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered on or about his person on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public in the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to law-enforcement officers, licensed security guards, military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, or any person having a valid concealed handgun permit or to any person actually engaged in lawful hunting or lawful recreational shooting activities at an established shooting range or shooting contest. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

The exemptions set forth in § 18.2-308 shall apply, mutatis mutandis, to the provisions of this section.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

Thundar wrote:
Don't go in Don't Tread on Me, stay just outside the S.S. victim disarmament zone. There are no restrictions there.

For anybody else bringing a rifle to cling to, remember that 18.2-287.4 (Assault Weapons) applies in the city of Newport News.

It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded (a) semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (b) shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered on or about his person on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public in the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to law-enforcement officers, licensed security guards, military personnel in the performance of their lawful duties, or any person having a valid concealed handgun permit or to any person actually engaged in lawful hunting or lawful recreational shooting activities at an established shooting range or shooting contest. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

The exemptions set forth in § 18.2-308 shall apply, mutatis mutandis, to the provisions of this section.

Only illegal if it meets the criteria stipulated and if you have a CHP, it doesnt matter anyway :)

Thundar

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
Thundar wrote:

Only illegal if it meets the criteria stipulated and if you have a CHP, it doesnt matter anyway :)
O.K. Back up ProShooter. There is Federal law which makes it a felony to be inside the security perimeter. I do not recommend that you try to go inside the metal detectors and signs while armed. Outside of the secure area the bearing of arms is, of course, your right. My cite was to remind everyone who will carry outside of the secure area to keep the magazines to less that 20 rounds unless they have a CHPas VA has a silly law for big cities and LEOs may be nit pickers tomorrow.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

Thundar wrote:
O.K. Back up ProShooter. There is Federal law which makes it a felony to be inside the security perimeter. I do not recommend that you try to go inside the metal detectors and signs while armed. Outside of the secure area the bearing of arms is, of course, your right. My cite was to remind everyone who will carry outside of the secure area to keep the magazines to less that 20 rounds unless they have a CHPas VA has a silly law for big cities and LEOs may be nit pickers tomorrow.
ahh, gotcha....didnt understand the point of your post....makes sense now. :)

LRS76251

imported post

Yep, what Thundar said. Just stay outside the secured perimeter (don't go through the metaltometers) and you shouldn't have any problems. Also, don't do anything that would draw negative attention to either yourself or the group. If you have a CHP, I'd highly recommend using it.

Thundar

imported post

LRS76251 wrote:
If you have a CHP, I'd highly recommend using it.
I was considering using the low capacity magaziness for my AR to avoid giving the LEOs a pretext to bother me, but I'll take your advice and bring the 30 rd mags. Thanks LRS76251!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

LRS76251 wrote:
Yep, what Thundar said. Just stay outside the secured perimeter (don't go through the metaltometers) and you shouldn't have any problems. Also, don't do anything that would draw negative attention to either yourself or the group. If you have a CHP, I'd highly recommend using it.

Agree that you should not have a problem but have you been following threads about Mtn Jack on the Pennsylvania site? He did just that and was arrested. Course I expect that he will win his lawsuit.
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum46/15561.html

Conduct yourself legally and above reproach and still earn the right to defend your self. As Danibus says though - somebodies got to do it.

For warned is for armed.

Yata hey