• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in vehicle?

PA-J3Cub

imported post

Hello everyone. New guy here to forums, but not new to firearms or self-defense.

I used to have a carry permit when I lived in PA years back. I've lived in Delaware since 1998 and I have not applied for a CCDW permit. However, I will start the process shortly after an issue I had recently while bicycling where I ran into a group of tough guys....one had a knife and I had to defend myself. Fortunately, the main threat....the fool with the knife....didn't really know how to use it and I was able to easily disarm him. However, the incident left me thinking about concealled carry and open carry.

My question is in regards to OC in a vehicle. I know laws vary from state to state, but, how to you maintain the visibility of a weapon in a car? I've seen info regarding placing the handgun on the dashboard. Is that it? Are there other methods?

TIA for any insight.

JDriver1.8t

imported post

In NC, this is how I do it.
DSC03047.jpg

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
I wouldn't recommend putting it on the dash,it will slide around.
A member of the forums had a problem over dashboard carry in a road rage incident. The other driver was able to describe his handgun (seeing it on the dash) and accused him of pointing it at him.

david.ross

imported post

If you put it on the dashboard, it may fly out the window.

I don't have a special holster for my car, but I will be getting or making one if I order more nylon.

There was this specific holster I really take interest in, it hangs on the edge of the forward part of the seat, so you can grab the firearm between you legs. I just can't remember where the holster was being sold. Personally, it would take 5 minutes to make on a sewing machine with nylon fabric and some elastic band.

For storage... I can't remember what Dobe told me, but there is this little car lock box which you can place in the arm rest or strap and lock it in a locked sack around a seat leg.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

I have a old phone mount (old brick days) mounted on the lower part of my dash in the suburban. Attached to it is a Serpa holster. On long trips I slip the 1911 into the Serpa and I'm on my way.
In Washington State you must have a concealed license to carry a loaded weapon in a vehicle. If anyone is interested just pm me for a pic.

MamaLiberty

imported post

If you are carrying, why isn't it on your person? I OC in my vehicle by keeping my gun on my hip where it belongs. I'm not about to leave it knocking about loose in the car.

MamaLiberty

imported post

You are not going to draw fast from a seated position anyway. I carry in a "cross draw/desk" holster all the time - carried just slightly forward of the midline of the right hip. The seat belt does not cross it or impinge on it at all. The difficulty is with the position, no room for the gun - in the hand - between the holster and the back of the seat. That would be the problem, not the seat belt.

But I have practiced this, and came up with an excellent compromise. I throw the seat back and lean as far forward as possible as I draw, thus freeing my gun and giving myself room to maneuver. You are also then in low profile to the windshield, a definite plus if under attack.

I can't imagine being able to draw any faster from a locked something tied to the leg of the seat between my feet (and forget the dashboard). But an even bigger problem with that would be the fact that one would have to unholster the gun and have it exposed each time you got in or out of the car! Not a good idea.

I'll carry mine. Have not been in a fast draw contest with a crook in a very long time... oh, make that never. :)

JDriver1.8t

imported post

I carry at 3:30, and I fully believe that if I am sitting in my car, it is concealed.

I don't particularly like that I have to unholster the weapon and put it somewhere else when I drive, but it is what I do. The safety rules always apply, and they prevent any ND.

I sit in the car, then unholster and reholster in the passenger seat. Everything happens below window line, so it is not seen.

buster81

imported post

JDriver1.8t wrote:
I carry at 3:30, and I fully believe that if I am sitting in my car, it is concealed.
I assume you mean that you carry it in a holster, outside your pants and when you are sitting in the car, it's concealed by an armrest of something? When I OC in this fashion, it's clearly visible from the passenger window. Is this not good enough to be "open"?

JDriver1.8t

imported post

buster81 wrote:
JDriver1.8t wrote:
I assume you mean that you carry it in a holster, outside your pants and when you are sitting in the car, it's concealed by an armrest of something? When I OC in this fashion, it's clearly visible from the passenger window. Is this not good enough to be "open"?
Yes, I carry OWB in a Serpa CQC and it is fully blocked by my center arm rest. It doesn't help that I ride in very high bolstered seats that cover most of my side (you can see above picture).There is no way anybody could see my weapon when seated, and that is why I unholster and reholster once I get in the car. I make sure to "keep my booger hook of the bang switch" every time. I don't like to handle the weapon in public as I do, but it is not seen and I don't get complacent with a fire arm.