• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

AT Systems/Garda Cash Logistics disregards gun safety?

KnightSG7

imported post

My step Dad works for Loomis, and they are very professional with what they do, he has his XD in a Blackhawk Serpa holster. So it all depends on which security group you see.

Alexcabbie

imported post

There was a rash of armored car robberies in DC a few years ago. The MO was two guys maybe three, one would take out the guard while the other one or two would fire over the heads of the passersby to make them dive for cover.

I am nt really all that familiar with these new-fangled retention devices but for me aa simple thumb-break is the best retention device invented, period. I knew an OSI agent who was so proud of his upside-down spring loaded clamshell shoulder holster but number one I want a strap and a snap and number two I hate the idea of a gun muzzle pointed at my armpit. I don't know how complicated this "hood" device is but I do know that a thumb break provides more than adequate security while enabling an unmpeded draw just as fast as from an open holster. So maybe the company ought to provide their people with thumb break holsters.

medicone2006

imported post

1. not to be rude but you made your self a target by saying you looked at his weapon.
2. We at Garda qualify to a state standard twice a year, and attend two additional training classes
3. your making a big deal out of nothing...
If you would have said something to me about my gear your boss would be talking to you, our safety come`s first.
one more thing his holster most likely has a second retention.

Alexcabbie

imported post

1. You are a new poster. Welcome.

2. Don't start by b*&tchng at people on your first post.

3. Too many people dismiss private security as "brownie cops" or "rent-a-cops". I have been both AND was an armed store detective with EJ Korvettes back in the eighties. And you would be amazed at what the BGs will try to do to you that they wouldn't DARE try to do to a regular LEO because they similarly hold you in loe esteem. I was a criminal investigator with USAF and never a problem. I became a store detective and got lunged at with a straight razor on my fourth day on the job. So don't think I don't know....

FiremanJoe

imported post

OK ---- I have seen a armoured car folk actually walk with pistol in hand, I suppose condition high alert I can sorta understand he may already be on orange, I know I would..I'd want to be sure i could draw fast..... but then again practice makes better draw..lol

fwiw

knitetime

imported post

WOW! I just stumbled on this thread. In fact, I believe I was the messenger who had his retention hood down. I work for GARDA, and I carry an XD. And around the time of your post, I was working in Midtown/East Side.

So, onto the real reasoning... I probably made some remark about using the gun too frequently, because I have no idea who you are and I'm on a tight schedule.

I have a Level II Rentention Holster. I is the hood, II is pulling the gun straight up to get it out. This makes it difficult for most people who are not attached to the holster itself, and I try my best not to let very many people get that close to me.

There is no rule saying I have to have my hood down. But, obviously it's recommended to maximize the safety of the holster. The truth is, my vest pushes down on the hood and often releases it. So I tend to leave it down for the whole "muscle memory" part of training. If I need to draw in a big hurry because a situation just went real bad, it's not going to be good to fumble with a hood that may or may not be secured. So, I train with it down.

I hope this satisfies your curiousity!

I'll leave you with some hood down action :)