Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Glock 19 is too thick

Post imported post

I realize this is an OC forum, but I need some CC advice. I know this sounds weird, but the Glock 19 (which I open carry) is just too wide of a frame for my thin body. I'm 6 ft. 135 pounds. I need a gun that's nice and thin. I was thinking of going with a Glock 26, but when I realized the same double stack magazines for my 19 fit in a 26, I realized that the gun is just as wide. What about Glock's competition, the Springfield XD? Dot they have any slimmer guns around the size of a 26 or a 19 that's thinner?

Post imported post

If you want to stick with Glock, you'll need to change calibers.

From Wikipedia:

Glock 36: "Slimline" version of the .45 ACP Glock 30 that features an ultra-compact frame and is chambered for the .45 ACP round; the barrel, slide, and magazine, are unique to the model. It has a 6-round capacity, and is the first Glock to be manufactured with a single-stack magazine.

Now, I carry the Glock 30 and I agree that it is too thick for me to CC comfortably.

Post imported post

Take a look at a Kahr P9 or CW9. They fit the bill of what you say you want. I'm hardly ever caught without a Kahr 9mm (or two).

Post imported post

I agree with G20, it is very very hard, if not impossible to beat a Kahr for CC. I have both a P9 and CW9, the models that were mentioned, and they are always nearby.

On the other hand though, I realize everybody doesn't sink as much money into guns as I do, so if $$$ is an issue on this, you may want to look at Kel-Tec. I have two of their P3AT .380 pocket pistols and one of their PF-9 9mm, roughly the same size as my Kahr P9. Kel-Tec is about $250 Kahr is $375 and up.

Post imported post

WCrawford wrote:
    If you want to stick with Glock, you'll need to change calibers.

From Wikipedia:

Glock 36: "Slimline" version of the .45 ACP Glock 30 that features an ultra-compact frame and is chambered for the .45 ACP round; the barrel, slide, and magazine, are unique to the model. It has a 6-round capacity, and is the first Glock to be manufactured with a single-stack magazine.

Now, I carry the Glock 30 and I agree that it is too thick for me to CC comfortably.
    The G36 is the only glock that feels right in my hand. The other double stack models just feel too dang thick IMO.

Post imported post

there's also the walther PPS

Post imported post

Godscreation wrote:
    I realize this is an OC forum, but I need some CC advice. I know this sounds weird, but the Glock 19 (which I open carry) is just too wide of a frame for my thin body. I'm 6 ft. 135 pounds. I need a gun that's nice and thin. I was thinking of going with a Glock 26, but when I realized the same double stack magazines for my 19 fit in a 26, I realized that the gun is just as wide. What about Glock's competition, the Springfield XD? Dot they have any slimmer guns around the size of a 26 or a 19 that's thinner?
    If you cannot hide a Glock 26, you are doing something wrong. How long have you been carrying? I started in 1996 with a SIG P220 :shock: Due to a quirk in Texas law, I became very proficient at it. The quirk: PRINTING is illegal. One can avoid printing in several ways:

1) Change your wardrobe. Go up one shirt size. No taper cuts.
    2) Forward cant on the holster. You should be able to hide a full sized 1911, especially since you're thin.
    3) Learn to move in such a way that the clothing is not disturbed by the gun. Don't reach high on the gun side. Don't lean over; squat instead...that sort of stuff.

If I can hide a SIG P220 strong side or appendix (or a Glock 21 appendix), you can too (I have a thin build too).

Post imported post

The six-round Glock .45-cal subcompact is designated the Glock 36. The model 30 has a higher-capacity staggered magazine.

-ljp

ed: sorry - saw the reference above after posting this...

Post imported post

Godscreation wrote:
    The XD isn't going to be any slimmer (especially the slide). But I can comfortablyCC my service model XD, although it probably helps that I'm 100 lbs heavier than you.

I also second thenotion of a Kahr of Kel-tec. Much lighter and slimmer, and you wouldn't even have to sacrifice caliber.

Post imported post

Slimmer is easy. Slimmer with the same reliability is considerably tougher.

The Kel Tecs and Kahrs are slimmer, but having fired both (and own a KT), I wouldn't put either one in the same class as Glock for reliability.

I've heard that the Walther PPS is quite reliable, and it is indeed pretty slim. That's what I'd go with, if I were going to replace a Glock with a slimmer gun.

Post imported post

I'd recommend the Bersa Thunder .380. It's like the PPS but a couple hundred $$ cheaper.

Post imported post

You're going have to go with a single stack if you are looking for slimmer. I'd agree on the above comments about the Kahr and Kel=Tec.

Check out 1911's.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

Post imported post

Ive been told by several people that Smith & Wesson is coming out with a compact and subcompact model of the M&P .45. Dont know if its true, or when its going to happen, but anything is possible.

The M&P .40 compact is nice, i must say. Might be my next purchase, as i love the M&P's the same as my Glocks.

Post imported post

Sig P239. The single stack magazine holds less ammo than the Glock but I absolutely love mine.

In a polymer gun I would suggest checking out the Smith & Wesson M&P. The 3 different grips it comes with allow a good amount of adjustment and with the smallest installed it comes very close to the dimensions of my P239. With the M&P you don't necessarily have to give up the capacity of a double stack magazine to get a slimmer gun.

Post imported post

What about revolvers? a 5 shot 3" barrel? I'm wondering if I should tap into the world of revolvers, you know, be diverse. Of course I have no idea where to start. Either way wheelie or slidie, I don't want to spend more than $550.00

Post imported post

Go for a S&W .38+P Something like a model 360 or 442 446 something like that.

Post imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
    Check out 1911's.
    I was going to recommend a 1911 variant in my first post, but didn't for one reason. If you've ever tried sitting down while ITW carrying a pistol with a large dovetail, you'd know why.

Post imported post

A Glock 36 is roughly the same size as small 1911. If you really want to go thin check out a Kahr. Personally I carry a Kahr P9.

Post imported post

soloban wrote:
    A Glock 36 is roughly the same size as small 1911. If you really want to go thin check out a Kahr. Personally I carry a Kahr P9.
    I agree. I had my EMP next to my cousin-in-law(?)'s G36 and it was about the same size. Honestly I'd carry an 1911 Officer model over the Glock, but I'm more of a 1911 guy...

Post imported post

eyesopened wrote:
    soloban wrote:
    I agree. I had my EMP next to my cousin-in-law(?)'s G36 and it was about the same size. Honestly I'd carry an 1911 Officer model over the Glock, but I'm more of a 1911 guy...
    I think if Glock were to make slimline/single-stack versions of the G26/G27 models they would sell like hotcakes. I'd be willing to exchange my Kahr P9 covert for a slim version of a G26 or G27.

Farmington,Port Huron,Waterford MICHIGAN, , USA

Post imported post

I have CC a Glock 19C for 2 years but have a Kahr 9 as my CC gun now. SOOOOO much thiner and smaller. Clips are ****. but other than that works great.

Allso carryed

HK usp 40

PPK

Kimber Pro

Colt 32acp

Colt 1911

Glock 26

Post imported post

I also have a Glock 30 and a Glock 36. I prefer more rounds but I find myself carrying the 36 more than the 30. As others have mentioned, the Khar looks interesting. Based on their ads, they have a .45 that is smaller, in all dimensions, and lighter than the 36. I don't know how many rounds it holds.

I recently ordered a Walther PPS in .40 and I should recieve it in a few days. Talk about thin, it is. I prefer .45 but if you want ultra-slim, you might have to go with a .40. I also like my Glock 27 in .40, and it carries either 9 or 11 rounds but it accepts 15 round magazines from its big brother, the 23 which fits my hand the best of any of my Glocks. Actually the 23 normally carries 13 rounds but there are 15 round mags available. I even have a Glock after-market mag that holds 29 rounds of .40. They are made in .45 too and used to be made in 10mm. My 10mm never would never accept more than 10 rounds. I assume that is why it is no longer available.

I just can't seem to settle with one gun for all occasions! I do carry my 27 or the 23 most often. In a serpa (black) holster and a black belt, it looks "copish" to the public (as do most black guns) and they just assume you are a good guy and that is a good thing.

I also have a number of 1911's including Kimbers but everytime I bump my Glock against something, I'm glad I wasn't wearing one of my nice looking 1911's. I've yet to put a scratch on my Glocks. I used to hate them. I don't love them yet but I carry them.

I hope that I have totally confused you and have convinced you that you need to buy many more guns! One can never have too many. At least that is what I keep telling myself!

open4years

Post imported post

Rather then changing guns I might recommend finding a better mode of carry. I.E. look around for a good solid holster IWB holster.

The gun is not the whole answer to the carry equation you need GUN, BELT, and Holster. Good leather is gonna cost you! But in the end comfort will be present and speed will stilll be there. I would suggest looking at Milt Sparks VM-2's, Gary Broomland Max Con V, Comptact M-Tac, Crossbreed holsters.

I have a3VMI-2s G19, Sig 228, and just recieved one for aG21SF.Therevery comfy, and they make the world of difference on carry and concealment.

Post imported post

If comfortable carryis your ultimate goal, you might stick with guns with in-line (non-staggered) magazines. As for Glocks, you're kind of limited (q.v. the aforementioned model 36 in .45ACP caliber), although they do have a new "SF" (slim-frame or something) designation as well. I'm not otherwise familiar with the specific differences in the "SF" dimensions.

-ljp

Post imported post

Legba wrote:
    If comfortable carryis your ultimate goal, you might stick with guns with in-line (non-staggered) magazines. As for Glocks, you're kind of limited (q.v. the aforementioned model 36 in .45ACP caliber), although they do have a new "SF" (slim-frame or something) designation as well. I'm not otherwise familiar with the specific differences in the "SF" dimensions.

-ljp
    The "slim frame" is not what it implies, they just made the grip smaller. The rest of the pistol remains the same.

open4years

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast