• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My Glock 19 is too thick

Godscreation

imported post

I realize this is an OC forum, but I need some CC advice. I know this sounds weird, but the Glock 19 (which I open carry) is just too wide of a frame for my thin body. I'm 6 ft. 135 pounds. I need a gun that's nice and thin. I was thinking of going with a Glock 26, but when I realized the same double stack magazines for my 19 fit in a 26, I realized that the gun is just as wide. What about Glock's competition, the Springfield XD? Dot they have any slimmer guns around the size of a 26 or a 19 that's thinner?

WCrawford

imported post

If you want to stick with Glock, you'll need to change calibers.

From Wikipedia:

Glock 36: "Slimline" version of the .45 ACP Glock 30 that features an ultra-compact frame and is chambered for the .45 ACP round; the barrel, slide, and magazine, are unique to the model. It has a 6-round capacity, and is the first Glock to be manufactured with a single-stack magazine.

Now, I carry the Glock 30 and I agree that it is too thick for me to CC comfortably.

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

Take a look at a Kahr P9 or CW9. They fit the bill of what you say you want. I'm hardly ever caught without a Kahr 9mm (or two).

apcci2

imported post

I agree with G20, it is very very hard, if not impossible to beat a Kahr for CC. I have both a P9 and CW9, the models that were mentioned, and they are always nearby.

On the other hand though, I realize everybody doesn't sink as much money into guns as I do, so if $$$ is an issue on this, you may want to look at Kel-Tec. I have two of their P3AT .380 pocket pistols and one of their PF-9 9mm, roughly the same size as my Kahr P9. Kel-Tec is about $250 Kahr is $375 and up.

eyesopened

imported post

WCrawford wrote:
If you want to stick with Glock, you'll need to change calibers.

From Wikipedia:

Glock 36: "Slimline" version of the .45 ACP Glock 30 that features an ultra-compact frame and is chambered for the .45 ACP round; the barrel, slide, and magazine, are unique to the model. It has a 6-round capacity, and is the first Glock to be manufactured with a single-stack magazine.

Now, I carry the Glock 30 and I agree that it is too thick for me to CC comfortably.
The G36 is the only glock that feels right in my hand. The other double stack models just feel too dang thick IMO.

cREbralFIX

imported post

Godscreation wrote:
I realize this is an OC forum, but I need some CC advice. I know this sounds weird, but the Glock 19 (which I open carry) is just too wide of a frame for my thin body. I'm 6 ft. 135 pounds. I need a gun that's nice and thin. I was thinking of going with a Glock 26, but when I realized the same double stack magazines for my 19 fit in a 26, I realized that the gun is just as wide. What about Glock's competition, the Springfield XD? Dot they have any slimmer guns around the size of a 26 or a 19 that's thinner?

If you cannot hide a Glock 26, you are doing something wrong. How long have you been carrying? I started in 1996 with a SIG P220 :shock: Due to a quirk in Texas law, I became very proficient at it. The quirk: PRINTING is illegal. One can avoid printing in several ways:

1) Change your wardrobe. Go up one shirt size. No taper cuts.
2) Forward cant on the holster. You should be able to hide a full sized 1911, especially since you're thin.
3) Learn to move in such a way that the clothing is not disturbed by the gun. Don't reach high on the gun side. Don't lean over; squat instead...that sort of stuff.

If I can hide a SIG P220 strong side or appendix (or a Glock 21 appendix), you can too (I have a thin build too).

Legba

imported post

The six-round Glock .45-cal subcompact is designated the Glock 36. The model 30 has a higher-capacity staggered magazine.

-ljp

ed: sorry - saw the reference above after posting this...

Paul Volk

imported post

Godscreation wrote:
The XD isn't going to be any slimmer (especially the slide). But I can comfortablyCC my service model XD, although it probably helps that I'm 100 lbs heavier than you.

I also second thenotion of a Kahr of Kel-tec. Much lighter and slimmer, and you wouldn't even have to sacrifice caliber.

Slayer of Paper

imported post

Slimmer is easy. Slimmer with the same reliability is considerably tougher.

The Kel Tecs and Kahrs are slimmer, but having fired both (and own a KT), I wouldn't put either one in the same class as Glock for reliability.

I've heard that the Walther PPS is quite reliable, and it is indeed pretty slim. That's what I'd go with, if I were going to replace a Glock with a slimmer gun.

MetalChris

imported post

I'd recommend the Bersa Thunder .380. It's like the PPS but a couple hundred $$ cheaper. :)

VAopencarry

imported post

You're going have to go with a single stack if you are looking for slimmer. I'd agree on the above comments about the Kahr and Kel=Tec.

Check out 1911's.

Mike M.

imported post

Ive been told by several people that Smith & Wesson is coming out with a compact and subcompact model of the M&P .45. Dont know if its true, or when its going to happen, but anything is possible.

The M&P .40 compact is nice, i must say. Might be my next purchase, as i love the M&P's the same as my Glocks.

smash29

imported post

Sig P239. The single stack magazine holds less ammo than the Glock but I absolutely love mine.

In a polymer gun I would suggest checking out the Smith & Wesson M&P. The 3 different grips it comes with allow a good amount of adjustment and with the smallest installed it comes very close to the dimensions of my P239. With the M&P you don't necessarily have to give up the capacity of a double stack magazine to get a slimmer gun.

Godscreation

imported post

What about revolvers? a 5 shot 3" barrel? I'm wondering if I should tap into the world of revolvers, you know, be diverse. :) Of course I have no idea where to start. Either way wheelie or slidie, I don't want to spend more than $550.00

Paul Volk

imported post

VAopencarry wrote:
Check out 1911's.
I was going to recommend a 1911 variant in my first post, but didn't for one reason. If you've ever tried sitting down while ITW carrying a pistol with a large dovetail, you'd know why.

eyesopened

imported post

soloban wrote:
A Glock 36 is roughly the same size as small 1911. If you really want to go thin check out a Kahr. Personally I carry a Kahr P9.
I agree. I had my EMP next to my cousin-in-law(?)'s G36 and it was about the same size. Honestly I'd carry an 1911 Officer model over the Glock, but I'm more of a 1911 guy...

soloban

imported post

eyesopened wrote:
soloban wrote:
A Glock 36 is roughly the same size as small 1911. If you really want to go thin check out a Kahr. Personally I carry a Kahr P9.
I agree. I had my EMP next to my cousin-in-law(?)'s G36 and it was about the same size. Honestly I'd carry an 1911 Officer model over the Glock, but I'm more of a 1911 guy...
I think if Glock were to make slimline/single-stack versions of the G26/G27 models they would sell like hotcakes. I'd be willing to exchange my Kahr P9 covert for a slim version of a G26 or G27.