• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My Glock 19 is too thick

open4years

imported post

I also have a Glock 30 and a Glock 36. I prefer more rounds but I find myself carrying the 36 more than the 30. As others have mentioned, the Khar looks interesting. Based on their ads, they have a .45 that is smaller, in all dimensions, and lighter than the 36. I don't know how many rounds it holds.

I recently ordered a Walther PPS in .40 and I should recieve it in a few days. Talk about thin, it is. I prefer .45 but if you want ultra-slim, you might have to go with a .40. I also like my Glock 27 in .40, and it carries either 9 or 11 rounds but it accepts 15 round magazines from its big brother, the 23 which fits my hand the best of any of my Glocks. Actually the 23 normally carries 13 rounds but there are 15 round mags available. I even have a Glock after-market mag that holds 29 rounds of .40. They are made in .45 too and used to be made in 10mm. My 10mm never would never accept more than 10 rounds. I assume that is why it is no longer available.

I just can't seem to settle with one gun for all occasions! I do carry my 27 or the 23 most often. In a serpa (black) holster and a black belt, it looks "copish" to the public (as do most black guns) and they just assume you are a good guy and that is a good thing.

I also have a number of 1911's including Kimbers but everytime I bump my Glock against something, I'm glad I wasn't wearing one of my nice looking 1911's. I've yet to put a scratch on my Glocks. I used to hate them. I don't love them yet but I carry them.

I hope that I have totally confused you and have convinced you that you need to buy many more guns! One can never have too many. At least that is what I keep telling myself!

open4years

rob99vmi04

imported post

Rather then changing guns I might recommend finding a better mode of carry. I.E. look around for a good solid holster IWB holster.

The gun is not the whole answer to the carry equation you need GUN, BELT, and Holster. Good leather is gonna cost you! But in the end comfort will be present and speed will stilll be there. I would suggest looking at Milt Sparks VM-2's, Gary Broomland Max Con V, Comptact M-Tac, Crossbreed holsters.

I have a3VMI-2s G19, Sig 228, and just recieved one for aG21SF.Therevery comfy, and they make the world of difference on carry and concealment.

Legba

imported post

If comfortable carryis your ultimate goal, you might stick with guns with in-line (non-staggered) magazines. As for Glocks, you're kind of limited (q.v. the aforementioned model 36 in .45ACP caliber), although they do have a new "SF" (slim-frame or something) designation as well. I'm not otherwise familiar with the specific differences in the "SF" dimensions.

-ljp

open4years

imported post

Legba wrote:
If comfortable carryis your ultimate goal, you might stick with guns with in-line (non-staggered) magazines. As for Glocks, you're kind of limited (q.v. the aforementioned model 36 in .45ACP caliber), although they do have a new "SF" (slim-frame or something) designation as well. I'm not otherwise familiar with the specific differences in the "SF" dimensions.

-ljp

The "slim frame" is not what it implies, they just made the grip smaller. The rest of the pistol remains the same.

open4years

open4years

imported post

Slayer of Paper wrote:
Slimmer is easy. Slimmer with the same reliability is considerably tougher.

The Kel Tecs and Kahrs are slimmer, but having fired both (and own a KT), I wouldn't put either one in the same class as Glock for reliability.

I've heard that the Walther PPS is quite reliable, and it is indeed pretty slim. That's what I'd go with, if I were going to replace a Glock with a slimmer gun.

I recently purchased a Walther PPS and it is indeed slim. I also own a Glock 36 and a Glock 30, but when I CC with a Glock, I like the 27 (.40), it can use magazines from its big brother too, the 23. The Glock 23 fits my hand better than any of the Glocks and it was my OC gun until I bought a FNH Five-Seven, but it (the Five-Seven) is not really suitable for CC, although I've done it. I haven't carried my PPS because I'm having a hard time finding holsters for it.

open4years

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Forget a subcompact, get a fullsize single-stack 1911. Best choice for concealment with power. Few fullsize guns are as thin or conceal as well as a 1911. :cool:

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

Godscreation wrote:
I realize this is an OC forum, but I need some CC advice. I know this sounds weird, but the Glock 19 (which I open carry) is just too wide of a frame for my thin body. I'm 6 ft. 135 pounds. I need a gun that's nice and thin. I was thinking of going with a Glock 26, but when I realized the same double stack magazines for my 19 fit in a 26, I realized that the gun is just as wide. What about Glock's competition, the Springfield XD? Dot they have any slimmer guns around the size of a 26 or a 19 that's thinner?
Wait wait wait... you are basing the function and raliability of your weapon on *snicker* your "thin body"? Its not a fasion statement dude... Wear a shirt larger than your normal size. Get a Raven concealement holster. http://www.ravenconcealment.com/

I'm 6'4" and 128lbs, and I can conceal a Glock19 WITH a light on it.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

[align=left]http://www.jbpholsters.com/servlet/the-33/LEATHER-GUN-HOLSTER-PANCAKE/Detail

I found this holster for my 9mm Walther PPS. It is a quality holster and is designed for the Springfield XD 3" barrel, but it fits the PPS perfectly, and is very comfortable. It is a pancake style so it fits closely and makes concealing easy. Mine is in black.

By the way, you can't compare the PPS with the Bersa Thunder, as the latter is in .380 only.
[/align]

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

marshaul wrote:
Forget a subcompact, get a fullsize single-stack 1911. Best choice for concealment with power. Few fullsize guns are as thin or conceal as well as a 1911. :cool:
Your style of dress is the greater part, rather than the gun, in obtaining concealment.

While I normally OC, I have and do CC a full size or commander size 1911 on a 150# torso with ease - all of my holsters are OWB belt slides too.

Flat hemmed shirts or loose full cut knit ones worn outside my pants in warmer weather solves the problem. Adapt and overcome.

Yata hey

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

That's true, but what I love about the 1911 is I don't have to modify my dress to conceal it. I can take the fullsize that I carry, with the clothes that I wear, and it conceals with no further effort.

david.ross

imported post

I'm sorry, the title of just too funny to pass this opportunity up. ( in jest to how anti-gun anti-self defense people spread gossip)

OFF-COLOR JOKE LAUGHED AT AND THEN REMOVED TO KEEP THREAD ON-TOPIC. :monkey

Legba

imported post

This is my rifle and this is my gun...

Thoroughly OT. ;-/

-ljp

cREbralFIX

imported post

So what was the result? Has the OP changed his carry methods? Or did he try a new gun? Is he on the eternal search for that perfect handgun? Will our hero find it? Or, will he end up with a safe full of guns and a giant box of holsters like the rest of us?