• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SIG P229 vs CZ75C

Walleye

imported post

Ok, so in a nutshell:

I've been reworking the budget to squeeze in a new firearm, something with a little more capacity and a better carry gun than my current S&W M39. I like my M39, but it almost feels like an antique to me. It's reliable and functions well, but it's still a single stack 9mm - and I'd prefer to have a few extra rounds in the magazine if I'm using 9mm.

I don't want to go out and buy a cheapie, I want to get a reliable firearm with some reputation behind it. Glock and Springfield XD are disqualified on account that I'm not interested in a striker fired handgun (please don't hassle me about how much I MUST get one of these; I've already considered them and don't want either one). 1911 clones in 9mm are also disqualified as my S&W is practically a 1911 in 9mm with some Browning HP features.

Basically, I've narrowed it down to either the CZ75C or the SIG P229. Now, I'd really like to go for the SIG if it weren't for the fact that it's price tag is more than $300 above the CZ75C, which is more down to earth in price compared to the SIG. I'm really leaning toward the SIG, but that's quite a dent in the budget. I can afford it, but I simply have not heard much about the CZ75C to make a balanced judgement.

So, does anyone have any experience with these firearms and any advice they can give me with either one?

MITCH

imported post

I currently have both the CZ 75B and the CZ Rami (2075). Of the 15-20 handguns I've owned over the past 50+ years, none have performed better than my CZ's. Reliability, service, etc. are great. I had a CZ in the 50's that was a WWII model and I carried it as a BUG for many years without ever having a FTF or FTE.

I've put several thousand rounds through the two I now have without ever having a problem. They eat whatever I put in them. For a cc the Rami is great and will take any size CZ mag. up to and including a 14 round.

Mitch

Jubbie

imported post

I have a Sig 229 .40, and love it. It's been very comfortable to shoot, especially with Hogue grip added. I felt good about buying a firearm with a safe de-cock mechanism. Bought mine for just over $600, with a factory refurbished sticker on it at a local gun show. I also have a Springfield XD same size, but much prefer to carry the Sig. It doesn't have any safety on it, except for the trigger pull if you don't have it cocked. And the time I cock it is the time I draw it, which I hope I never have to do. Other than that, the Sig is very easy to strip and clean.

RaidersRule

imported post

No comparison in my book. I've fired both and the Sig just feels so much better to me. I also think that I would give the reliability edge to Sig. If you're looking for a Sig that's a little cheaper, look at the SP2022. It's a new polymer lower-receiver and it's what I carry on adaily basis.

Thundar

imported post

My 229 DAO is perhaps the best handgun I have ever fired. Make sure you get the tritium sights and put on the Hogue grips. Sweet with a capital S.

Marco

imported post

Thundar wrote:
Make sure you get the tritium sights and put on the Hogue grips. Sweet with a capital S.

SNIP
Not everyone is a fan on NS.
Hogue's rubber grips are nice for the range or on a OC gun butI find they are too spongy.
I find they cling to cover garments if one wishes to CC.
This is JMHO and worth???

If the Sig is in your Budget I would get it in either DAO or with the DAK (Double Action Keller)trigger.

Happy shopping.

David.Car

imported post

Not much difference between the 229 and the 226 (which I carry) and I lovemy 226. If you are willing to spend the time, you can usually find them cheaper online too. Gunbroker and such.

Picked up my 226 NIB with the night sights forjust over 6 hundredafter shipping and transfer fee.

But if you are set on those 2 guns, get to the range and try those 2 guns. Which ever one feels the best in your hand, and you are more accurate with should be the one you get.

Thundar

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
Thundar wrote:
Make sure you get the tritium sights and put on the Hogue grips. Sweet with a capital S.

SNIP
Not everyone is a fan on NS.
Hogue's rubber grips are nice for the range or on a OC gun butI find they are too spongy.
I find they cling to cover garments if one wishes to CC.
This is JMHO and worth???

If the Sig is in your Budget I would get it in either DAO or with the DAK (Double Action Keller)trigger.

Happy shopping.
Agent 19 Never tried CCing my 229, dont have a holster for CCing it, but the Hogue grips would probably make it difficult to draw.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I bought my Sig P228 with Hogue grips installed. While they are comfortable at the range and in certain environmental conditions, being that I have to CC due to local ordinance, I replaced them with stock plastic grips. They do snag on clothing or against skin when CC and I found while dry firing that they occasionally caused what could be a fatal stumble in my CC draw.

I reinstalled them when I took the Sig with me camping one weekend and I do like them if I am shooting a lot at the range, especially if it is especially hot/sweaty or wet/rainy.

Walleye

imported post

Thanks for the advice everyone, it helps a lot.

RaidersRule - I think I'll take your suggestion and look into a 2022. I was wondering if SIG made a polymer frame version of their design and it looks like a good deal.

Online buying is really the only option I have as I've been unable to find any dealers locally who offer SIGs in retail.

RaidersRule

imported post

Walleye wrote:
Thanks for the advice everyone, it helps a lot.

RaidersRule - I think I'll take your suggestion and look into a 2022. I was wondering if SIG made a polymer frame version of their design and it looks like a good deal.

Online buying is really the only option I have as I've been unable to find any dealers locally who offer SIGs in retail.

I put over 600 rounds down the barrel of my 2022 the last two days with very consistent shot-placement and no jams or anything to speak of, excluding the last 25 rounds (went from Winchester to Blazer and the lower quality ammo fouled it up).

It's a relatively light gun, so there's a little bit of kick but it's a piece of cake to shoot and maintain. I love it and carry it with me as often as I can (which isn't enough because it has been warm).

Really, I can't give it a good enough review. I bought it on a whim because it was listed at $425 (local rich guy buys guns, never shoots the, then sells them back to the store when he finds one he likes more). I trust it with my life the same as I do with my Glock because I know tha it'll fire every time I pull the trigger.

Walleye

imported post

Around my region, Glocks, XDs, and 1911s are standard fare. It's difficult to find those "foreign" guns, much less have someone lecture you on how great .45ACP and the 1911 are. Right now I want a hi-capacity 9mm before the election, and I'll get the great 45 afterwards.

So, not many of those used guns around here. :(

David.Car

imported post

Walleye wrote:
Around my region, Glocks, XDs, and 1911s are standard fare. It's difficult to find those "foreign" guns, much less have someone lecture you on how great .45ACP and the 1911 are. Right now I want a hi-capacity 9mm before the election, and I'll get the great 45 afterwards.

So, not many of those used guns around here. :(
You want hi-capacity reliable 9mm go with the Sig P226. They now have flush fit 18 round magazines made by Mec-Gar (the same company that makes the Sig factory mags) and they are only about 23 bucks each.

With 1 in the chamber you are carrying 19 rounds in one of the finest firearms ever made.

Walleye

imported post

This will be pretty much my first firearm buy, and I've already cleared buying online with my dealer - anyone have some advice about buying online?

David.Car

imported post

Find the place in your town that has the cheapest FFL transfers :) Usually can be found for 15-20 bucks.

Watch for places that charge huge amounts of shipping ($40 for a single hand gun type places).

If you are not in a hurry you can hunt around on gunbroker for a week or two and usually score a firearm for way under retail.

David.Car

imported post

Walleye wrote:
My grandfather is doing the FFL transfer for me, and he'll do it for free, so that part is taken care of.
Sweet deal +1.

I have purchased 4 firearms online now, all of them ended up being at least 50 dollars cheaper than I could do locally (and that was after shipping and transfer fees). One ended up being $250 cheaper. So there are deals to be found.

David.Car

imported post

Walleye wrote:
Found what I wanted online and snapped it up. :)

Certified Pre-Owned SIG P226 for $585. Just got to wait now...
CONGRATULATIONS! You know this now means you have to become a member at www.sigforum.com too now right? :)

Don't forget pictures when it arrives. The CPOs are definitly a great deal on quality firearms.

As I mentioned, Mec-Gar does make the 18 round mags for the 226. You can find them for $17 + shipping at www.centerfiresystems.com and www.topgunsupply.com is also a fantastic place for almost any thing sig related and they are really good people.

Walleye

imported post

It will be a month at least before I get through the hoops with the FFL stuff, but I'm comitted to it now. At least I'll be able to prepare for it by getting all the support material I need that the BATFE hasn't restricted yet!