• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Winter carry.

fetch

imported post

Sorry, just had to say it.
I was talking to a friend about shoulder holsters for winter carry. He almost freaked out and stated they are illegal. I looked through past posts but could not find specific information yes or no. I don't see how a shoulder holster could be illegal since that is the a way to carry. But just to cover, does anyone have information legal or illegal shoulder holsters?
Thanks.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

And here I thought I had covered the bases on the FAQ's. I don't know what your friend is on, but I would like some of it. Shoulder holsters ARE NOT illegal.

I'd be laughing harder over this, but it's kinda sad too... Good to check on though.

The only illegal holsters are ones that completely conceal a gun and allow it to be operated. The BATFE has decided those are "Any Other Weapons" as they allow a gun to function and no longer resemble a gun. An example would be some types of wallet holsters.

cynicist

imported post

Where can one go to find all the ATF rules on guns. I've looked over their website, and all I managed to find were press releases about new rules.

dlnwoody

imported post

OK. It doesn't madder because I have a permit. I was just trying to figure out why someone would say it was illegal.

scilence

imported post

dlnwoody wrote:
OK. It doesn't madder because I have a permit. I was just trying to figure out why someone would say it was illegal.

Well, I have a shoulder rig, that I use during the winter months. Especially in Washington it is nice to be able to carry without getting your pistol wet from our wonderful climate.

I did have some issues with it at first because it is a bit more intimidating to a group of sheeple standing behind you. I think they find that when a gun is pointed right at them instead of down, people tend to be a little more on egde. Still their problem but I undertand I have to be a bit more aware of others.

Aslo, I want to point out again that I have seen throughout the posts people tend to use the term "permit" rather than "license" and permit makes it sound like it is a temporary thing. When speaking about Open Carry or your Concealed Pistol 'License,' use license because you have nothing left to earn in order to do what you do.

I like using a shoudler rig more then I like using a belt holster however because it just feels a bit more comfertable.

just_a_car

imported post

Personally I don't like a shoulder rig (unless it points the muzzle at a severe downward angle) because you are almost always breaking one of the four rules: Never point the muzzle at anything you don't want to destroy.

All it takes is breaking two or more of the rules and you can have an ND and/or injury/death... and shoulder holsters that point out the back put you one step closer.

I don't mind the ones for long-barreled revolvers that point straight down or the ones that are modular (like Blackhawk's for the Serpa) that allow you to cant the holster down away from the torso of those behind you. Even the canted ones can be breaking the rule, but if it goes off, it would hit their lower leg and not likely kill them... or if they were close enough to get hit in the torso, they were too close to begin with and possibly a threat.

Trigger Dr

imported post

With a shoulder rig or a cross draw rig, when you draw how many people on your side do you sweep with the muzzle. Think of your wife GF or children walking on your left when you, a right handed carrier, are accosted and drawing is the only acceptable response?

FogRider

imported post

To the "shoulder holsters are unsafe" folks, do you have any evidence that a SH is inherently more unsafe than any other holster? Yeah, I know, you cover everyone behind you when you draw, blah blah blah. Much like the "bad guys will grab your gun" argument, unless you can back it up I'm going to treat it simply as your opinion and not a fact.

just_a_car

imported post

That's okay Fogrider, I already said it was my opinion (why I started with "Personally..."). So, if you have to convince yourself my opinion is worthless, feel free. But, like I said, you're starting off breaking one of the four rules.... does that make it okay to break any of the other four rules when carrying?

FogRider

imported post

It's nothing personal against anyone, and I don't think your opinion is worthless. I just don't agree with it. That's the beautiful thing about opinions, they are never wrong.

They way I look at it is in all the years of people using shoulder holsters, a ND/AD injury has never happened (well, any that can be directly attributed to the holster). That indicates to me the holster is pretty safe. Again, show me that it's unsafe and I'll stop using one.

Trigger Dr

imported post

Well, well fogrider...You are correct it is only my opinion and worth just what you paid for it...zip..zilch NADA.

I just pointed out a couple of things to think about IF you choose to carry that way. Is it more "unsafe" than any other means of carry? Hell, I don't know but I do know I do not want to place another innocent person in jeopardy BG . Therefor I choose to Not use a shoulder rig. If you think they are OK...GO FOR IT. Don't rag on those that think otherwise.

FogRider

imported post

I wasn't trying to rag on anyone (it would be more than a little hypocritical), if that's how my comments were taken, well, there's not much I can do about it. I just wanted to know if there is anything more to the argument than "I think". If not, that's fine with me.

David.Car

imported post

I am interested in at the very least trying a shoulder holster for this winter, the one I am leaning towards in the Blackhawk harness that allows you to attach your Serpa to it.

Any experience with this rig?

spike89

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
The only illegal holsters are ones that completely conceal a gun and allow it to be operated. The BATFE has decided those are "Any Other Weapons" as they allow a gun to function and no longer resemble a gun.  An example would be some types of wallet holsters.

And of course, guitar case rocket launchers:

Desp-LAW.jpg