Thread: Asked to Leave Eugene Winco(Barger & Beltline)

Post imported post

Tonight I dropped by Winco on Barger & Beltline in Eugene to do some late-night grocery shopping with my girlfriend and a couple other friends of mine. All in all we spent about an hour inside there, and only near the end of it, I was confronted by an employee who looked rather shaken and upset (makes me wonder if they drew straws to see who would confront me), and stuttering, asked me if that was a 'real gun', to which I replied, "Yes, it is". He then asked me if I was licensed to carry it, to which I replied that according to state and city law, i'm not required to have a license to openly carry my 1911. After this, he disappeared for a few minutes, returning with a person who's nametag only said "Person in charge". This "Person in Charge" then told me that it's 'against store policy' to carry weapons in the store. And then attempted to back pedal and tell me that it was scaring the customers (of which there are almost none at 1am in the morning) and that I needed to leave.

Does anyone know if it's actually against Winco policy, or was this guy, as I assume, just making it up?

Post imported post

It's corporate policy, although only a handful of people I know of have ever had problems.

I know, sucks to have to stop shopping at Winco.

Oh well, the one in my area didn't take Visa anyway.

Post imported post

Same here, no Visa. I'll just have to find somewhere else to shop. Know of any other affordable places to shop that won't give me trouble?

Post imported post

Oh great... yet another place I like to frequent is on the 'list'...

a sad Jagermeister

Post imported post

Wait let me get this straight...the man's name tag said "Person In Charge"?:shock:

Post imported post

Yes, it did indeed say "Person in Charge".

I may be mistaken, but I don't think there was even a name on it.

Ugh.:?

Portland/Beaverton/Hillsboro, Oregon, USA

Post imported post

Yea, the "P.I.C."
    ...as us former grocery clerks call it.

I hate to say it, but the PICs are definitely not lawyers. Not even close.

Post imported post

Does anybody have a contact for corporate Winco? I went to their website but couldnt find any contact info.

Post imported post

+1-678-389-6753
    +1-888-58-WINCO

These were the only two numbers I could find through online research, although I haven't tried calling either of them yet.

Post imported post

No, they're not lawyers, but unfortunately the store still has the right to ask me to leave since it's technically private property, and I legally have to leave if they ask me to. :?

Even if it means leaving nearly $200 in mostly cold and frozen groceries in a cart at the checkout line.

...for them to clean up...

:P

Opt-Out Members

Post imported post

http://biz.yahoo.com/ic/99/99365.html

WinCo Foods, Inc.
    650 N. Armstrong Place
    Boise, ID 83704

208-377-0110

mdgary

Post imported post

This "Person in Charge" then told me that it's 'against store policy' to carry weapons in the store.

Why is it that the managers or employees say weapons are against store policy But can't produce a policy to prove it?

Does corperate send them the store policy to read and tell them to send it back when there done reading?

Post imported post

From my experience, they tend to just make 'store policy' up on the spot to suit their needs.

Post imported post

Wanna turn this into a protest?

Keep your shopping receipts throughout the month. Every month, put all your shopping receipts (or copies) into an envelope, along with a letter cordially explaining why you shopped elsewhere. There are some people really good at writing letters here; post if you need help.

How long you think the ban will last?

Post imported post

I know that I will not be shopping at Winco any longer, and anyone else who wishes to join me in doing so is more than welcome to. If they wish to use their right as private property owners to bypass my right to openly carry, then I will exercise my right to shop elsewhere. :P

I really would like to find out for -sure- if it's truly against store policy, because if it's not, then I think I will have a need to talk to the upper management and perhaps the corporate office.

Post imported post

thehoodedronin wrote:
    I know that I will not be shopping at Winco any longer, and anyone else who wishes to join me in doing so is more than welcome to. If they wish to use their right as private property owners to bypass my right to openly carry, then I will exercise my right to shop elsewhere. :P

I really would like to find out for -sure- if it's truly against store policy, because if it's not, then I think I will have a need to talk to the upper management and perhaps the corporate office.
    There was a thread over on the Washington forums about this, spawned around the time Mike and I (well, really just Mike) got kicked out of a Winco. It's at least a regional, if not corporate policy, that most stores don't seem to follow. I spoke to the regional management on the phone myself about it, and stopped shopping at Winco even though my local manager didn't care about the corporate policy (at least for me).

So about the only thing now would be to vote with our dollars. And show Winco how many dollars they are losing.

So, like I said... should we turn it into a protest? Cost $0.42/month...

Post imported post

I was at the Winco in Hillsboro (off Corneilus Pass) tonight and recognized a local gun owner shopping while OC'ing. I wonder if he made it out without anyone saying anything to him?

Post imported post

I know a fair number of employees at my local winco (corvallis, cause they also happen to be in my bowling league). They are pretty sane people however,

unfortunately for the rest of us events like this one at the corvallis winco:
    http://www.gazettetimes.com/articles...01_gunshot.txt

have people scared about guns in general... its another question of how much limitation should be put on those whom are responsible vs those whom are not.

Portland/Beaverton/Hillsboro, Oregon, USA

Post imported post

I hate to say I suspected it, but there's obviously more to this story... Morons like this making us look terrible.

"Duffney was cooperative and the discharge was accidental, Zessin said, but Duffney did not have a permit to carry a concealed weapon. He was cited for carrying a concealed weapon and discharge of a weapon, both misdemeanor charges. Duffney was released after receiving the citation. A court date has not yet been determined by the Corvallis Municipal Court."

Post imported post

It's not a matter of limiting those who are responsible. The only thing limits do are block those who are responsible. People who are irresponsible or up to no good won't follow those imposed limits anyways, which only plays to weaken those who would or could do good.

Post imported post

How many accidental discharges have to occur to get all Derringers out of circulation, or at least banned as a CCW? I mean come on, EVERYONE should know they are pieces of crap and an accident waiting to happen. But of course, a couple months ago I was talking to a girl whose dad was getting her one...

I told her those are probably the most worthless, useless, most dangerous pistols ever made, but she didn't believe me because her dad "knows about guns" and Derringers are "cute" and she likes them...