• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Asked to Leave Eugene Winco(Barger & Beltline)

thehoodedronin

imported post

Tonight I dropped by Winco on Barger & Beltline in Eugene to do some late-night grocery shopping with my girlfriend and a couple other friends of mine. All in all we spent about an hour inside there, and only near the end of it, I was confronted by an employee who looked rather shaken and upset (makes me wonder if they drew straws to see who would confront me), and stuttering, asked me if that was a 'real gun', to which I replied, "Yes, it is". He then asked me if I was licensed to carry it, to which I replied that according to state and city law, i'm not required to have a license to openly carry my 1911. After this, he disappeared for a few minutes, returning with a person who's nametag only said "Person in charge". This "Person in Charge" then told me that it's 'against store policy' to carry weapons in the store. And then attempted to back pedal and tell me that it was scaring the customers (of which there are almost none at 1am in the morning) and that I needed to leave.

Does anyone know if it's actually against Winco policy, or was this guy, as I assume, just making it up?

grishnav

imported post

It's corporate policy, although only a handful of people I know of have ever had problems. :(

I know, sucks to have to stop shopping at Winco.

Oh well, the one in my area didn't take Visa anyway.

JBURGII

imported post

Oh great... yet another place I like to frequent is on the 'list'...

:cry:

a sad Jagermeister

Parapacker

imported post

Does anybody have a contact for corporate Winco? I went to their website but couldnt find any contact info.

thehoodedronin

imported post

No, they're not lawyers, but unfortunately the store still has the right to ask me to leave since it's technically private property, and I legally have to leave if they ask me to. :?

Even if it means leaving nearly $200 in mostly cold and frozen groceries in a cart at the checkout line.

...for them to clean up...

:p

M

mdgary

imported post

This "Person in Charge" then told me that it's 'against store policy' to carry weapons in the store.

Why is it that the managers or employees say weapons are against store policy But can't produce a policy to prove it?

Does corperate send them the store policy to read and tell them to send it back when there done reading?

humor_017.gif

grishnav

imported post

Wanna turn this into a protest?

Keep your shopping receipts throughout the month. Every month, put all your shopping receipts (or copies) into an envelope, along with a letter cordially explaining why you shopped elsewhere. There are some people really good at writing letters here; post if you need help.

How long you think the ban will last?

thehoodedronin

imported post

I know that I will not be shopping at Winco any longer, and anyone else who wishes to join me in doing so is more than welcome to. If they wish to use their right as private property owners to bypass my right to openly carry, then I will exercise my right to shop elsewhere. :p

I really would like to find out for -sure- if it's truly against store policy, because if it's not, then I think I will have a need to talk to the upper management and perhaps the corporate office.

grishnav

imported post

thehoodedronin wrote:
I know that I will not be shopping at Winco any longer, and anyone else who wishes to join me in doing so is more than welcome to. If they wish to use their right as private property owners to bypass my right to openly carry, then I will exercise my right to shop elsewhere. :p

I really would like to find out for -sure- if it's truly against store policy, because if it's not, then I think I will have a need to talk to the upper management and perhaps the corporate office.
There was a thread over on the Washington forums about this, spawned around the time Mike and I (well, really just Mike) got kicked out of a Winco. It's at least a regional, if not corporate policy, that most stores don't seem to follow. I spoke to the regional management on the phone myself about it, and stopped shopping at Winco even though my local manager didn't care about the corporate policy (at least for me).

So about the only thing now would be to vote with our dollars. And show Winco how many dollars they are losing.

So, like I said... should we turn it into a protest? Cost $0.42/month...

Los

imported post

I was at the Winco in Hillsboro (off Corneilus Pass) tonight and recognized a local gun owner shopping while OC'ing. I wonder if he made it out without anyone saying anything to him?

lowone

imported post

I know a fair number of employees at my local winco (corvallis, cause they also happen to be in my bowling league). They are pretty sane people however,

unfortunately for the rest of us events like this one at the corvallis winco:
http://www.gazettetimes.com/articles/2007/12/25/news/community/6loc01_gunshot.txt

have people scared about guns in general... its another question of how much limitation should be put on those whom are responsible vs those whom are not.

CharlesAFerg

Portland/Beaverton/Hillsboro, Oregon, USA
imported post

I hate to say I suspected it, but there's obviously more to this story... Morons like this making us look terrible.

"Duffney was cooperative and the discharge was accidental, Zessin said, but Duffney did not have a permit to carry a concealed weapon. He was cited for carrying a concealed weapon and discharge of a weapon, both misdemeanor charges. Duffney was released after receiving the citation. A court date has not yet been determined by the Corvallis Municipal Court."

thehoodedronin

imported post

It's not a matter of limiting those who are responsible. The only thing limits do are block those who are responsible. People who are irresponsible or up to no good won't follow those imposed limits anyways, which only plays to weaken those who would or could do good.