• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Virginia and the Real ID Act

Thundar

imported post

TexasNative wrote:
Those are still more claims without substantiation, PB. Yes, you can say the Real ID could be turned into all these things, but that's not a part of the Real ID Act, and I haven't seen anyone present any evidence that there's anything more to the Act than what it says.

Just because you wave your hands in the air and claim that "they" are going to turn the United States into George Orwell's 1984 doesn't make it true. Connect the dots for us. Help us understand that there's more to these claims than just your (unsubstantiated, IMHO) opinion.
Fair enough

I cannot show you what REAL ID will be used for, but I can show you what REAL ID could be used for and the existing political push to use REAL ID as a form of gun control.

Here are some quick links to show what the distributed database is capable of, and what others think it is capable of and a link from Washington Post with a candidate push to require REAL ID for gun purchases.

Link: http://www.unrealid.com/what.html

• A Back-Door National Gun Registry.
There are many states that don't respect the 2nd Amendment the way we do here in Alaska: gun registration in those states is often tied to drivers licenses. Once these state firearms databases are linked together with existing federal data systems, there begins the national gun registry. All that is then needed is to force all the pro-gun states to comply.

Link: http://www.zdlr.net/board/index.php?showtopic=15117&pid=214673&mode=threaded&show=&st=0

"The implementation of REAL ID presents a significant threat to gun ownership in the United States of America." added Michael Robertson, LPPa Chair.

By participating in REAL ID, Pennsylvanians will be subjected to scrutiny by a host of federal agencies with every swipe of a REAL ID card. This is de facto gun registration, only worse. Once a gun buyer is identified, other information such as military service, purchases, rentals, travel, and medical history will be easily cross-referenced and subjected to interpretation. It's inevitable that politicized standards will emerge that can be used to deny Pennsylvanians the right to keep and bear arms -- everyone except violent criminals and politicians' bodyguards.

LPPa Media Relations Chair, Doug Leard, added, "A few years ago when the NICS [National InstaCheck System] computer system crashed, no one could be validated for a gun purchase. A political agenda is one thing and bureaucratic incompetence is another. When a state submits to REAL ID, it submits its citizens to the possibility of being denied not just gun purchases, but ATM cash, credit card purchases and even a critical prescription pickup. Pennsylvania must emphatically reject REAL ID."

Link: http://blog.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2007/12/10/mayors_query_the_candidates_on.html

9. Secure Identification for Gun Purchases: In 2013, the federal "Real ID Act" will go into full effect. In order to get into a federal building or to get on a commercial airplane, all persons will have to show secure identification that is compliant with the Real ID Act. However, unless the law is amended, people would not need to show Real ID-compliant identification to buy guns. Requiring gun purchasers to show Real ID-compliant identification could help prevent sales to persons already prohibited from buying firearms, including felons (who might be able to more easily fake non compliant IDs) and undocumented aliens (who, unless INS has flagged them individually in the background check system, can now buy guns by misrepresenting their status on the background check form). Do you support a change in federal law to require that gun purchasers show Real ID-compliant identification by 2013?

Link: http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070502-stop-the-real-id-act-by-may-8.html

The end result of the Real ID Act's database connectivity requirements and the federated query service is that someone sitting in a DMV can use a single query to pull a citizen's data from all state DMVs and federal databases. This is functionally a national citizen database, even if citizens' data is physically spread out over multiple records in multiple databases at multiple sites with multiple levels of access control, logging, and oversight. So like I said above: all of the functionality of a centralized database, but with none of the attendant security, oversight, and auditing benefits of a single, locked-down implementation.

Ultimately, DHS's objection that Real ID does not create a "national database" is only sustainable using a narrow definition of "database." But if by "database" you mean, "I can write one query to pull data from multiple records," then the Act and DHS's proposed interpretation of it will indeed create a "national database." With the NPRM, DHS has taken the already terrible idea of a national citizen database, and then made it infinitely worse in the name of appeasing privacy advocates.

Link: http://www.geekswithguns.com/modules.php?name=News&file=print&sid=565

Many states don't make drivers prove they are legally in the country, but the law will now demand such do*****entation. It also calls for states to run license applications through a federal database known as SAVE that was launched by a 1986 law aimed at preventing illegal immigrants from receiving federal benefits. One problem, though, is that the "SAVE database is notoriously unreliable ... months behind," said South Carolina's response to the survey.

Link: http://scogginfamily.newsvine.com/_news/2008/06/25/1611046-the-intellectual-debate-on-gun-control

DHS is using Real ID and the subsequent database as a back door into gun control. Gun owners are starting to wake up to this.​
Interesting comment in that DHS has no role in restricting gun sales. In fact a surprising victory came about when an amendment to the Homeland Security Bill (S.AMDT. 4615) passed in July 2006 prohibiting officials from confiscating legally owned firearms during an emergency/disaster; the post-lesson of hurricane Katrina.

In researching this I stumbled across an excellent site that compiles all U.S. federal gun legislation;

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=U.S._gun_control_legislation

• #1.2 - Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:27 AM EDT

Yes Bill it is very interesting because the connections are not out in the open. Once Real ID is in place all purchases will be tracked by the ID you show to your Gun shop, walmart or what ever. Ammo sales can be limited along with any other whittling legislation they can sneak through. "Sorry Sir, you've reached your 9mil limit." " Sorry sir, you already have a Sig 9mil. The new law says you can't have two."

This database the DHS wants will be used by all government to track all sales of firearms. Once they know where they are, it's easier to ask for them. It's very naive to think DHS can't, won't or doesn't intend to get into the gun control business. They've shown that they want to and the one court case against them is like a mosquito bite. The battle will continue.

TexasNative

imported post

Sorry, I've never been one much for conspiracy theories, mostly because they've never once been borne out.

And all that stuff you quote and link? Still conjecture, weaving fact and make-believe together to support the desired story. Sorry, I'm not convinced.

Thundar

imported post

I have provided ability + motive + initial political actions. There are no guarantees about the limits to what REAL ID can be used for in the future.

You can call it conspiracy or tin foil hat or whatever you want, but the gun grabbers are out there. They will use every tool that they can to destroy your RKBA. I have lived in free states like VA and N.H. and in unfree states like MA. and HI. I wish you were right, but I know you are wrong.

Even if you believe that gun grabbers would never use REAL ID, don't you get kind of upset by the "glass citizen" prospects of REAL ID?

TexasNative

imported post

Thundar wrote:
Even if you believe that gun grabbers would never use REAL ID, don't you get kind of upset by the "glass citizen" prospects of REAL ID?
Not really. I started out my adult life in close association with government, having spent 20 years in the US Navy. There are two primary reasons why I don't get too concerned about government being able to intentionally do bad things to me behind my back.

First, no one can keep a secret. I worked in a subsection of Intelligence where virtually everything I did was classified, and I was duty-bound, and under the threat of spending many, many years in the Gray Bar Hotel, to keep every little bit of what I knew from escaping my control. And yet, I have read almost as much about what I did and what we knew in newspapers and other public venues as I tried to keep secret. *shrug* A lot of people can keep secrets, but unfortunately / fortunately (depending on what we're discussing), there are waaaay too many people who can't shut their yaps. If anything like what you posit were true, people who have first-hand knowledge and evidence will be yapping their heads off.

Secondly, bureaucracy equals incompetence. Those with Black In Their Hearts who want to Steal All Our Guns can come up with a foolproof scheme to do away with 100% of our guns, and The Bureaucracy will invent a new fool. Any of these plans you speculate to turn us all into prisoners of the State are all very complicated, and a Bureaucrat can certainly screw it up beyond recognition, a condition we Sailors (and others) called FUBAR.

Let me be clear: I'm not saying we can all just relax and depend on things to take care of themselves. We have to stay on top of these things to minimize the risks to our Civil Rights. But we have to also be sure that, as I mentioned earlier, we don't throw out the baby with the bathwater. There are undeniably good things about Real ID. Can it be better? Sure. Do we need to keep our noses up their butts to make sure they don't use it to abuse us? Definitely!

Is Real ID a net good thing, especially if we watch the bastards to keep them in line? I believe so.

LEO 229

imported post

TexasNative wrote:
Sorry, I've never been one much for conspiracy theories, mostly because they've never once been borne out.

And all that stuff you quote and link? Still conjecture, weaving fact and make-believe together to support the desired story. Sorry, I'm not convinced.

Going to agree with TN.

Just because it is "possible" does not mean it WILL happen.

Shoot... ANYTHING is possible. They could require us to register all guns we own... registered to usor not and attach it to the REAL ID. But has the ATF published anything to support this? Nope!!

Just because Mike says the sky is going to fall... is not going to make me run inside. There are a great number of members who believe "stuff" will happen but they do not provide anything to support it.

It is nothing more thana conspiracy belief at work. Some members have over active imaginations too. ;)

Thundar

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
TexasNative wrote:

It is nothing more thana conspiracy belief at work. Some members have over active imaginations too. ;)

Gun registration and gun owner registration are a fact in many states and territories already.:(

The distributed REAL ID database is a fact, not a conspiracy.:X

REAL ID will be used as a gun control tool in states that now use other forms of ID to deny citizens their god given rights.:shock:

The political calls to use REAL ID to identify and ration firearms and ammunition are fact, not conspiracy.:banghead:

Wake up before you turn into zombies!!! (That means you too LEO 229, I think there may be hope for you yet):lol:

Federal ID and Federal gun registration will inflict our Republic like the plague.:uhoh:

LEO 229

imported post

Thundar wrote:
Gun registration and gun owner registration are a fact in many states and territories already.:(

The distributed REAL ID database is a fact, not a conspiracy.:X

REAL ID will be used as a gun control tool in states that now use other forms of ID to deny citizens their god given rights.:shock:

The political calls to use REAL ID to identify and ration firearms and ammunition are fact, not conspiracy.:banghead:

Wake up before you turn into zombies!!! (That means you too LEO 229, I think there may be hope for you yet):lol:

Federal ID and Federal gun registration will inflict our Republic like the plague.:uhoh:
You are entitled to your beliefs... Just do not try to hard to convince the rest of us without some proof to show you are on the right track. ;)

I have yet to be shown ANYTHING that indicates the REAL ID is being designed explicitly for gun control.

Personally... I believe it is for population control and once it is in placewe will only be allowed to charge one child per REAL ID. This is the best way to curb population growth. OK.. I am kidding!! Or am I!!! :p

Actually... I kinda like the idea of being a zombie!

BRAINS!!!! I want your BRAINNNSSS!!!!!!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
SNIP You really do need to lighten up.
Well, I guess I should shoot this one down. Its about thethird time he's used it.

Many of us have seen LEO229's evasions, straw man arguments, ad hominem attacks, non-sequiturs,going off on tangents, etc. These reveal nothing if they don't reveal that LEO229 is the one who takes things too seriously.

Why else would one engage in such tactics if one didn't take his own sidetoo seriously?

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Citizen wrote:
Why else would one engage in such tactics if one didn't take his own sidetoo seriously?

It is called 'bigotry' and CLEO is a prejudiced bigot - but then so am I. I have never claimed to be anything else. Prejudice and bigotry are evidence of graduation summa cum laude from the School of Hard Knocks. Only a tolerant poosey cries for tolerance and mercy.

hsmith

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Going to agree with TN.

Just because it is "possible" does not mean it WILL happen.

Shoot... ANYTHING is possible. They could require us to register all guns we own... registered to usor not and attach it to the REAL ID. But has the ATF published anything to support this? Nope!!

Just because Mike says the sky is going to fall... is not going to make me run inside. There are a great number of members who believe "stuff" will happen but they do not provide anything to support it.

Thousands of years of history of government action are enough to see that even good "intentions" pan out to be disasters in the long run for peoples freedom.

Governments lead to the deaths of 100,000,000+ people in the last century alone.

Trust no ones intentions when they are in "control" and have a gun barrel to enforce their "intentions"

LEO 229

imported post

Citizen wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
SNIP You really do need to lighten up.
Well, I guess I should shoot this one down. Its about thethird time he's used it.

Many of us have seen LEO229's evasions, straw man arguments, ad hominem attacks, non-sequiturs,going off on tangents, etc. These reveal nothing if they don't reveal that LEO229 is the one who takes things too seriously.

Brains!!!!

I want your braaainnnssss!!!! :lol:

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Citizen wrote:

It is called 'bigotry' and CLEO is a prejudiced bigot - but then so am I. I have never claimed to be anything else. Prejudice and bigotry are evidence of graduation summa cum laude from the School of Hard Knocks. Only a tolerant poosey cries for tolerance and mercy.

wow Doug, tell us how you really feel......

and just what does Ms. Cleo have to do with all this anyway?

1030253651_m.jpg

:)

LEO 229

imported post

onion_news166.article.jpg

Forum,

I stand before you at this podium to say that I am here to help where I can. I answer questions and sometimes provide alternate ways to view things. Somehow... this make me a bad, bad person. I am not allowed an opinion if it is not anti-government and involve a conspiracy in some way. :lol:

Logical explanations by me are forbidden and have been reported to have a hidden agenda or taking sides. I am not allowed to be a logical thinker.

Those that have met me know I am easy going and fun. Some members exploit that trait knowing I will do little to thwart their attacks made on-line. They openly admit to what they are doing and I hope you will no longer condone their activity.

I will continue to hold myself to a higher standard well above the conspirators here that want to silence me so their agenda can be pushed forward.

For those of you that want to continue to "F" with me.... You better stop now or.... I willhave to eat yourbrains!!!!!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
SNIP I am not allowed an opinion if it is not anti-government and involve a conspiracy in some way.

Logical explanations by me are forbidden...
This is a bit of a self-serving commentary.

He's allowed to givehis opinions; but others are not allowed to give their opinions about his?

Oh, there's a littleguilt inducement, too. "I am the poor innocent victim of forum meanies."

Then 'I'll' pretend to make a joke out of it by positioning it with a zombie speaker. And throw in a smiley face.

One question fella's. If its all laid back, un-serious, and un-important to him, why did he bother to post it at all?

Guess I'd better QFT it just in case.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:

Forum,

I stand before you at this podium to say that I am here to help where I can. I answer questions and sometimes provide alternate ways to view things. Somehow... this make me a bad, bad person. I am not allowed an opinion if it is not anti-government and involve a conspiracy in some way. :lol:

Logical explanations by me are forbidden and have been reported to have a hidden agenda or taking sides. I am not allowed to be a logical thinker.

Those that have met me know I am easy going and fun. Some members exploit that trait knowing I will do little to thwart their attacks made on-line. They openly admit to what they are doing and I hope you will no longer condone their activity.

I will continue to hold myself to a higher standard well above the conspirators here that want to silence me so their agenda can be pushed forward.

For those of you that want to continue to "F" with me.... You better stop now or.... I willhave to eat yourbrains!!!!!
QFT

Thundar

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:

Forum,

Damn it LEO, I warned you. Look at you, you're a zombie. Now you are doomed to walk the earth in an endless search for brains. Maybe next time you'll listen when I warn you about back door gun control and not to trust those zombie gun grabbers!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

At the Freedom of Information Advisory Sub-Committee meeting today the DMV Commissioner gave a presentation on efforts to comply with REAL ID - legislators asked him how many states were refusin' to join up and whether he was planning for a dula track system to issue both REAL IDs and regular VA DLs - the Comish. said 9 states are opting out right now, and no, he was not planning for a dula track. Several legislators and I urged him to re-think his plan.