• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shooting on my propery???? what's legal

sidelinellc

between windsor and north grandby, Connecticut, US
imported post

Ok, here is the question \: Family has over 20 acres of property in northern ct. I routinely shoot there and have since birth!(kidding) Anyways. after researching the very confusing laws/rules&regs. ect..What are my rights to do this, easily spelled out?I

hear people quoting the "500 feet" law, but that applies to hunting. Othere's quote "disturbing the piece" because of noise. I have searched this site,northeast shooters board, ct law library and became more confused.I choose not to discuss this with the local LEO's because i am not looking for an opinion or social belief that they may represent. I need facts.

Basically, it's only a matter of time before the LEO's get a complaint and walk into my backyard. Without being a dick, I would like to have correct, factual information on hand to defend myself with this ongoing, safe practice.
If anyone has had a similar experience, i would like to hear it, thanks in advance.

JUMPMASTER

imported post

First question would be if your town has any ordinances that prohibits the discharge of a firearm. Are there any ordinances against noise? From everything I have read in the state statutes you should have no problems at all as long as you're shooting in a safe manner.Make sure that you are firing into some typeof backstop to stop the travel of the bulletsand that you take precautions tolook at the area behind and around the backstop when you do start shooting. It wouldn't hurt to put some "No Trespassing" of "Stay Out Firearms in Use" signs aroundthe area you are shooting into. You could not be charged with Breach of The Peace if you are just target shooting. Now if you are out in the middle of the night and intentionally shooting to wakeor scare your neighbors then there may possibly be a case for Breach of The Peace. The 500 foot rule only applies to hunting and even if you were hunting it wouldn't apply if you were hunting on your own property.

sidelinellc

between windsor and north grandby, Connecticut, US
imported post

thanks for the reply. I asked around town today to get a "feel" for the general consensus.That was a mistake. I am not one of "the good-ole-boys club members"Apparently everyone's an expert, and the LEO's are the final say. I have the feeling that if i shoot safely on my 3 acres, I'm getting arrested. period! If i shoot sally on my families land, and there's a complaint, the LEO can enter the property legally to investigate, and then determine if he should take further action Via situation or arrest for discharging a firearm in an unsafe manner. Remember, I live in a town were the only safe firearms shooters are LEO'sand goodole-boys club, everyone else must be up to no good.

So, Wouldanyone mind pointing me in a direction of ct laws, i can read, print out and put in my gun box as a quick reference guide when i do get approached. Again, I do not want to be a dick to any LEO that is doing his job, however,
I do want to be armed with the proper knowledge to defend my rights should the citation occur. Thanks in advance...

JUMPMASTER

imported post

My friend owns land in a town that is served by a Resident State Trooper. I called his office a few weeks agoto ask about this very subject. Since he wasn't in, the phone was forwarded to the local SP Barracks. I asked the Trooper that answered the same questions you have. As long as it's done in a safe manner there is no law against it. The State Statutes tell us what we can't do, not what we can do; therefore, there is nothing for you to print out and carry with you that says you can do it. You can go to this link to see all of the firearms laws in CT http://www.ct.gov/bfpe/cwp/view.asp?a=1251&q=254198&bfpeNav=|

Here is the law onunlawful discharge:

Sec. 53-203. Unlawful discharge of firearms. Any person who intentionally, negligently or carelessly discharges any firearm in such a manner as to be likely to cause bodily injury or death to persons or domestic animals, or the wanton destruction of property shall be fined not more than two hundred fifty dollars or imprisoned not more than three months or both.

(1949 Rev., S. 8521; P.A. 73-457.)

History: P.A. 73-457 essentially rewrote provisions, which previously prohibited discharging firearms "in any city or borough, except on military occasions, without permission first obtained from the mayor of such city or the warden of such borough" and which had imposed fine for firing cannon without permit applicable to proprietors or persons in charge of private military schools, to forbid discharging firearm so as to harm persons, domestic animals or property and to increase maximum fine from seven dollars to two hundred fifty dollars and maximum imprisonment from thirty days to three months.

popeye

imported post

hey heres one i have 9 acres in middlesex county i started shooting about 3 yrs ago i called statey to inform them they said i have plenty land ive shot a 30 caliber full auto on tri stand uzi ar15 9mm 357 sig fm1 statey showed up once asked to see 30 said call them next time they would like to shoot it oh and that wehad the town on high alert but no problems so far