• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Ban (Lewis County)

glock23

imported post

I was in Chehalis yesterday and was in their little mall off of NE Hampe Way and seen a sign in the WorkSource center that said NO FIREARMS even with a permit or something to that affect. Well looks like WorkSource is a state agency, anyone have any info on this one. I have contact info for them I was thinking about fireing a e-mail to them.

Administrator: Sandy Crews

151 NE Hampe Way

P.O. Box 1187

Chehalis, wa 98532

(360)748-2360 E-mail sacrews@esd.wa.gov

deanf

imported post

Cite state preempition (sic) to them.

Friendly contrarian checking in.

I'm not sure state preemption is the proper argument here. How can the state preempt itself?

The Washington Employment Security Department (parent agency of the office in question) is part of the executive branch of state government. 9.41.290 makes no mention of the executive branch of government being preempted.

I think the more technically correct argument would be that the ESD has no authority in law for such a rule, not to mention the state constitutional violation.

This is the same as guns in the capitol building. If I'm not mistaken, they tried to ban them, we fought back, and won. What argument was used then?

adamsesq

imported post

I am not as familiar with Washington law as I am with Oregon, so someone please correct me if I am wrong - Lonnie? But...

Preemption is generally more about who gets to make the rule, not as much what "level" of government. Yes, they may be a state agency but they are not the legislature. Preemption says only the legislature gets to make such a rule (law) and any rule (or law) made by any other agency (whether at the state or any other level) is invalid.

-adamsesq

deanf

imported post

Our law specifically preempts only cities, towns, counties, and other municipalities. An executive branch department is none of those.

Again, it's still wrong. The ESD has no authority in law for such rules, and they are a constitutional violation. I'm all for making arguments that these gun bans are illegal, but let's make the correct arguments.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

adamsesq wrote:
I am not as familiar with Washington law as I am with Oregon, so someone please correct me if I am wrong - Lonnie? But...

Preemption is generally more about who gets to make the rule, not as much what "level" of government. Yes, they may be a state agency but they are not the legislature. Preemption says only the legislature gets to make such a rule (law) and any rule (or law) made by any other agency (whether at the state or any other level) is invalid.

-adamsesq
Well, the law only preempts localities. State agencies are covered in a different way, more specifically:

Going beyond the authority granted it, violating RCW 9.41.070, and violation of the state constitution.

adamsesq

imported post

Lonnie Wilson wrote:
Well, the law only preempts localities. State agencies are covered in a different way, more specifically:

Going beyond the authority granted it, violating RCW 9.41.070, and violation of the state constitution.

Thanks Lonnie - as I said I am better aware of Oregon's laws but am quickly coming up to speed on Washington's as well. This group is awesome and the Washington forum is much more active than the Oregon one...have to do something about that! :)

-adamsesq