• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Live within 1000ft of two schools!

karenn

Opt-Out Members
imported post

OK - so we are going to buy our first firearm next week and we are only interested open carrying the gun in a CASE driving to and from the range.

Couple of questions -

first, where in the car can we keep the case to legally open carry? We have heard the glove box will be ok, but if it does not fit in there, can we legally keep it in the trunk?

Second, we live within 1000ft of two schools! What are we supposed to do? In order to even drive out of our subdivision we have to pass a school. So if we get pulled over leaving our house, we will get arrested?! I mean, in order to even drive the gun home for the first time, we will have to drive past this school. What do we do?

Thanks from a newbie!

protector84

imported post

The 1,000 foot school ban is a federal law that is not enforcable in Arizona. I was stopped walking between two schools and literally 2 feet away from the actual school property. One of the officers mentioned the law but said they cannot enforce it because Arizona has a different law regarding schools. States' rights often override federal laws. There is also a federal law banning switchblade knives yet there isn't a cop here in Arizona that would care that I carry one every day. Likewise Arizona has no such law on the books. My advice to you: If you are going to the range, just treat it like going anywhere else and take the most reasonable route possible. The cops really don't care and they don't even have the jurisdiction to enforce it. I accidently carried into a school as I thought it was just a church but it also had a school attached. They simply told me that because it is also school property, I need to leave the gun in the car which I did. No SWAT teams, panic attacks, or really any reactions at all. This is Arizona, not Maryland.

Flyer22

imported post

Generally speaking, local police do not enforce federal laws. For one thing, it's the federal government's responsibility to enforce its laws. For another thing, the local police stay plenty busy enforcing state and local laws.

VtCO

State Researcher
imported post

karenn wrote:
OK - so we are going to buy our first firearm next week and we are only interested open carrying the gun in a CASE driving to and from the range.

Couple of questions -

first, where in the car can we keep the case to legally open carry? We have heard the glove box will be ok, but if it does not fit in there, can we legally keep it in the trunk?

Second, we live within 1000ft of two schools! What are we supposed to do? In order to even drive out of our subdivision we have to pass a school. So if we get pulled over leaving our house, we will get arrested?! I mean, in order to even drive the gun home for the first time, we will have to drive past this school. What do we do?

Thanks from a newbie!
Also, it's not open carrying if the gun is in a case. You can transport a cased gun pretty much anywhere (certain restrictions apply, rarely will you run into one). In the trunk is fine if it's cased. If you are going to actually OC then it can be stored in a glovebox or on you in a holster.

M

mdgary

imported post

karenn wrote:

Couple of questions -

Thanks from a newbie!
Where do you live besides 1000ft of two schools?

kashmirsmp

imported post

I have some thing to add to this. When I carry to work, I have to leave it in the car. Most of the time I wont wear it to work because I hate taking it off when I get there and don't wanna take the chance of others seeing it. I keep it in the holster in the glove box, or in the door pocket. Is this ok? I heard the glove box was an ok place to keep it. I also keep the registration and ins card in the center box, so there would be no need to open the glove box if I was ever stopped. Any info?

Thanks

johnfenter

imported post

Code:
TITLE 18--CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE

PART I--CRIMES

CHAPTER 44--FIREARMS

Sec. 921. Definitions

(a) As used in this chapter--
(25) The term ``school zone'' means--
(A) in, or on the grounds of, a public, parochial or private 
school; or
(B) within a distance of 1,000 feet from the grounds of a 
public, parochial or private school.

protector84

imported post

The Federal School Zones law is unconstitutional. The Constitution prohibits the government from infringing on the right of the people to bear arms. Telling someone that they cannot walk or drivedown numerous public streets carrying a firearm because it just so happens to be 1/4 mile from a school they don't even know is there is certainly infringing on that right. I don't think anyone in Arizona would even try to enforce such a law. This is a gun state.

Dahwg

imported post

kashmirsmp wrote:
I have some thing to add to this. When I carry to work, I have to leave it in the car. Most of the time I wont wear it to work because I hate taking it off when I get there and don't wanna take the chance of others seeing it. I keep it in the holster in the glove box, or in the door pocket. Is this ok? I heard the glove box was an ok place to keep it. I also keep the registration and ins card in the center box, so there would be no need to open the glove box if I was ever stopped. Any info?

Thanks

In the State of AZ, you are ok having the gun anywhere in a means of transportation carried in a case, holster, scabbard, pack or luggage that is carried within a means of transportation or within a storage compartment, map pocket, trunk or glove compartment of a means of transportation.

So basically either keep it in a holster, or any storage compartment map pocket, trunk or glove compartment and you're ok.

Alec411

imported post

LET'S GIVE KARENN A BREAK. SHE JUST WANTS A SIMPLE ANSWER!

ISPENT 30+ YEARS AS A FED AGENT! (gs-1811/14) You said the gun will be in a case. Yes, you may keep in the trunk, as a matter of fact you can carry it anywhere you wish in the car.

The "School Law" is federal and is not enforced in AZ.

I can tell you about 12 billion other places you can carry it, but that's not what you asked.