• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

hunting season is apon us

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

THanks for the link. Just got back with one in the freezer. Bear opens next week!!!!:D

nova

imported post

peter nap wrote:
THanks for the link. Just got back with one in the freezer. Bear opens next week!!!!:D

sounds like its time for another OC picnic!

bear.jpg

Bullbuster

imported post

I have been a member of VaDeer.com for a couple of years now and its a great bunch of guys. I also go by the same screen name. Quite a few have CCW and some even OC. I have refereed many to here and VCDL as well.

Been out 2 times now with 1 close call.

Marco

imported post

To and from redacted
Got this from someone who allegedly knows Ron, this morning.
Sent: Oct 5, 2008 9:26 AM
To: XXXXXXXXX
Subject: Bow Grizzly

Subject: Bear Photos from Ron's attack

Hello to all!

Many of you know that my brother-in-law(Bridgett's husband), Ron, was attacked by a grizzly bear last weekend in Wyoming , while bow hunting elk with his dad.

Ron amazing came through with non life threatening injuries.

Ron, who is an experienced hunter and used to be a guide, was calling an elk for his dad, who was down hill 40 yards. The elk suddenly spooked and then Ron heard a noise behind him. He turned around and a grizzly was 15 feet behind him. He tried to shoo it away but it proceeded
toward him. He went behind a tree and the bear kept coming, so he took off on his 'death run' down hill towards his dad. With the grizzly just feet behind his son, and running full speed, Ron's dad shot one arrow.

Ron saw the arrow fly by his leg, unsure of whether it hit the bear, and within a few more steps, Ron was on his back with the grizzly on top of him. With is arms shielding his head, Ron kicked and punched the bear with all he had. Ron said it all went to fast and he was so full of
adrenaline, he could not feel any pain at the time of the attack. When the bear continued to attack, Ron's dad, could see that the bear was bleeding badly from the arrow, and he went over and started beating on the bear with his bow(You can not carry guns during bow hunting, so he had nothing to shoot it). The bear continued to attack Ron, biting clear through his left hand and glove, and down to the bone of his right arm just below the elbow. Then the bear, stopped, looking at Ron's dad, walked away several yards, and rolled over dead.

The bear was autopsied and showed that it was well over 500 lbs(the grizzlies in that area average 350lbs) and 11 years old(which is in it's prime). Following the path of the arrow, the autopsy showed that the arrow went in, hit a main artery, then bent, and hit the heart!
A one in a thousand shot they said.

Another important fact to mention and that gave me chills is that Ron's dad had had surgery on his arm, because he had injured his arm and was not even able to pull the bow last season. This was to be his big hunt, and before the day of the attack, he had already missed two elk that were standing still. The morning of the attack, Ron's dad(also named Ron), prayed 'God please guide my arrow today'.
Little did Ron Sr. and Ron know how God would guide his arrow that day!

Amazing story I just had to share!

[line]

SafeRedirect.aspx

javascript:;

Bullbuster

imported post

So how has everyone done thus far. I just got back in town lastnight from NC. I took my first shotgun/ slug deera 100# doe at 25y. Sorry pic is bad. Taken with my cell phone as I broke my diggy cam.

08NCDoe.jpg

67GT390FB

imported post

i hope you shot that doe in NC. as we are still in blackpowder season here in most of the old dominion. General Firearms opens on Saturday. Even if you were in the one exception its not a doe day.
October 1-November 29
In the cities of Chesapeake, Suffolk (east of the Dismal Swamp line) and Virginia Beach.

Either-sex Deer Hunting Days:
  • October 4, October 11 and November 17-29: In all areas.

Just yanking your chain. I took a 100# doe Sat morning around 9:30@ 50 ydsand a 108#doe Saturday around 1:00pm @ 30 yds.

Joe

sitedzn

imported post

seen a bunch, but no shots as of yet. had a 180yd opportunity last friday, but passed on it as I didn't want to shoot her up the rear. Only zero'd at 50yd and not sure on the drop that far out (hence the non-attempt at a head shot).

DYING to get some meat in the freezer.

posted this elsewhere:
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/18003-2.html

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

Ate backstraps off the grill last night. My roommate killed two Saturday morning on one piece of property and me and 2 friends saw 6 on my grandparent's land with zero to show for it...long shots in a cutover are not easy. We're currently rethinking our stand locations.

Bullbuster

imported post

67GT390FB wrote:
i hope you shot that doe in NC. as we are still in blackpowder season here in most of the old dominion. General Firearms opens on Saturday. Even if you were in the one exception its not a doe day.
October 1-November 29
In the cities of Chesapeake, Suffolk (east of the Dismal Swamp line) and Virginia Beach.

Either-sex Deer Hunting Days:
  • October 4, October 11 and November 17-29: In all areas.

Just yanking your chain. I took a 100# doe Sat morning around 9:30@ 50 ydsand a 108#doe Saturday around 1:00pm @ 30 yds.

Joe
I do 99.9% of my hunting on military bases in this area. We can bow and shotgun hunt all season and M/L hunt on Wed and Sat. Plus we can shoot buck or doe all season. Bucks gotta be 6pt for bow and 8pt for M/L & shotgun all must have 15" inside spread. I took this one down at Camp Lejeune. I love NC in the fact you can Sunday hunt on military bases.