• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

traveling the lower 48 armed

Bear 45/70

imported post

vmaxanarchist wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
irfner wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
Locked and unloaded is legal per Federal law which allows transport thru any state as long as that state is nothis final destination. This is regardless of any state law, which can not over ride the free passage federal law.
It may be federal law but some states will arrest you anyhow. Illinois, New York, New Jersey, Main and possibly some others. IllinoisI believe requires a license forthe possession ofammunition. Then there are local regs and jurisdictions to contend with. All states do not have preemption. Some DA's in New York will pursue felony charges just because they can. In Ohio the proximity of the ammo to the gun can get you into trouble. It may not be right but that is the way it is across this great free country of ours.
New York lost the last case of arresting a traveler with a legal handgun. It was the Feds that forced the issue. That was before Heller and now the "no gun" states are in an evenworse position of while trying to enforce their unconstitutional laws. Also a trucker's true departure point and final destination are back at his home, regardless of all the stops in the middle.
I would like to agree with you on that theory. It was what I thought when I first read the Federal law. However all the legal analyses I have read only allow stops in the non-permissive states that are necessarily incident to travel. This would include stops for fuel, food, and maybe sleep if necessary for safety.

However this is basically an affirmative defense. Where the defendant is required to prove that is destination is somewhere where it is legal for him to have the firearm.
For a truck driver he would show his Bill of Lading. If the BOL was from say Virgina to Vermont he would be okay if he did not make any unnecessary stops in MD, NJ, NY, or MA. However if it was from VA to NY then the court would consider NY as his destination. In over the road truck driving it is common not to know where you are going next until after you deliver your last load. Also, you could be laid over until the next dayto get your next load.

So, as I see it is very unlikely that a court of law located in a state like New York would consider the Federal Interstate Firearms Transportation law as a general permit for a truck driver to be exempt from state and local laws.While he isout on the road traveling around the country for weeks or months at a time. No matter where he stops or for how long. This would be like allowing anyone with a RV to travel around the country for months at a time stopping to sightsee in NY for a week, and claim they are exempt from NY handgun laws because the departure and destination point of their RV is their home driveway.
Actually, by Federallaw truckers have to stop after so many hours on the road, sohe can pretty much justify stopping most times for fuel, meals or required down time.

vmaxanarchist

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
Actually, by Federallaw truckers have to stop after so many hours on the road, sohe can pretty much justify stopping most times for fuel, meals or required down time.
I agree that would be a good argument for sleep stops in a non-permissive state. However it still doesn't fix the problem of having a Bill of Lading destination in a non-permissive state.

heresolong

imported post

I have no desire to be a trucker but if I were...

I would get a combination operated safe, install it permanently somewhere in the truck that is non-visible, unload the pistol and put it in the safe during trips to NY, MA, where-ever, and if they ask what is in the safe, NOYDB. They can't search without a warrant, they can't get a warrant without probable cause, refusal to consent is not probable cause. Unless you are doing something else illegal there is no way they can ever look inside that lock box legally.

Bear 45/70

imported post

heresolong wrote:
I have no desire to be a trucker but if I were...

I would get a combination operated safe, install it permanently somewhere in the truck that is non-visible, unload the pistol and put it in the safe during trips to NY, MA, where-ever, and if they ask what is in the safe, NOYDB. They can't search without a warrant, they can't get a warrant without probable cause, refusal to consent is not probable cause. Unless you are doing something else illegal there is no way they can ever look inside that lock box legally.
I like that idea best, yet.

fatalhubris

imported post

One minor detail,

Is your brother running his own rig IE owner operator, or is he driving a rig owned and leased by a company?

If he is driving for some one there is the problem of company policy forbidding position of weapons while operating company vehicles. If that’s the case getting caught = fired.

My 2 cents

Trigger Dr

imported post

Get fired for having a gun in violation of company policy? OK......Get another job.

Get killed because you were not able to defend yourself? NOT OK...Get another life? HOW?

tricityguy

imported post

M1Gunr: How'd you make that map? I would love to know a quick & easy way to identify OC & firearms laws across a bulk of states in order to plan trips myself.

scoobydoo6906

imported post

fatalhubris wrote:
One minor detail,

Is your brother running his own rig IE owner operator, or is he driving a rig owned and leased by a company?

If he is driving for some one there is the problem of company policy forbidding position of weapons while operating company vehicles. If that’s the case getting caught = fired.

My 2 cents
yeah he is an owner operator so no worries about that non sense. I told him to put in a lock box or a safe on his truck and keep his nose clean and if they searched and found the gun most likely the search would be against the law. the most important thing I told hime was to do not atherize any searchs. i told him to keep it empty but with the magazine loaded