• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Norfolk police clashes fires up gun rights group

Renegade

imported post

Folks - if you and friends and family can join us at Norfolk City Hall this Tuesday, October 7th, at 7:00 pm please do so - we need to pack the chambers and let the voice of freedom shake the walls.

We need you there - please join us.

------------------------------------------------------

By Harry Minium
The Virginian-Pilot
© October 5, 2008

NORFOLK

Once again, members of a guns-rights advocacy group are coming to City Hall, claiming their rights have been violated by the police.

The Virginia Citizens Defense League, a Northern Virginia-based group, said 100 or more of its members will descend upon Tuesday's City Council meeting to vent their displeasure, many with guns holstered to their hips.

The group is upset about a police confrontation involving a member carrying a weapon openly, which is legal in Virginia.

The group last came to the City Council in August 2007, when members protested the arrest of Chet Szymecki of Yorktown at Harborfest for openly carrying a gun. The charge was dropped; Szymecki has filed a federal suit against the city.

They also protested at that meeting about alleged harassment of Danladi Moore, a Peninsula resident who was stopped twice by police and questioned for openly carrying a gun shortly before the meeting.

The city paid Moore $10,000 in July to prevent what could have been long and costly litigation.

However, Moore said, he again was stopped, on Sept. 22, this time while attempting to ride a Hampton Roads Transit bus with a gun. Moore claims police took his gun, ordered him off a bus and threatened to arrest him before eventually giving the gun back and letting him go.

Chris Amos, police spokesman, said he couldn't respond to Moore's specific claims about his September run-in with officers.

"All I know is, we responded to a call for service," Amos said. "We are not at liberty to just refuse" to do so.

Amos said that after Moore's previous incidents, police leaders "sent a memo out in-house reasserting the rights citizens have to carry firearms in plain view." There hasn't been time to react to the latest incident, he said.

Philip Van Cleave, a Midlothian resident who heads the guns-rights group, said he believes Moore will sue the city over the latest incident.

"If Norfolk doesn't begin to get it right, Danladi may wind up owning a yacht or a castle somewhere," he said. "At some point, the people of Norfolk are going to get tired of their tax money being thrown away because the police are violating a basic right," he added.

City Council members acknowledged that the city may have erred, but they accused gun owners of being provocative.

Councilman W. Randy Wright has a concealed-weapons permit, has won awards for marksmanship and believes in gun rights, he said. Yet he said he is appalled by anyone who walks around with a gun in a holster.

"Walking around downtown with a gun on your hip, that's just somebody trying to get attention, somebody trying to embarrass the city," he said. "This is not Wyatt Earp in the wild, wild West. It's an urban city with lots of problems.

"It does absolutely nothing to further the rights of the Second Amendment."

Replied Van Cleave: "He's admitting the city has a lot of problems. That, in itself, is a reason to carry, because you may need to protect yourself."

Van Cleave said he wonders if the incident with Moore was racially motivated, as he is black.

Councilman Paul R. Riddick said that's ridiculous.

"When you see a guy standing downtown in front of a bank with a gun on, what would you expect the average policeman to do?" he said. "You'd expect him to find out what the hell is going on."

Riddick and other council members weren't aware of the financial settlement with Moore. "Before we issue another $10,000 check, we should go to the highest court in the land," he said.

Councilman Barclay C. Winn, who is a hunter, said the guns-rights group's actions are precisely why he won't joint the NRA - the powerful lobbyists the National Rifle Association.

"I believe in the right to bear arms," he said. "But I just don't understand why somebody feels the need to strap a gun on his side, knowing full well that people are going to be alarmed and upset. I don't understand why they have to be such big, bad macho men."

Van Cleave said this is not about being macho - it's about exercising a constitutional right.

"What the city of Norfolk is asking us to do is to give up one of our basic constitutional rights," he said. "Would you ask black citizens to sit in the back of the bus and shut up?"

Riddick left while Van Cleave's group spoke during last year's meeting, saying he didn't want to dignify the group by staying. The meeting was at times tense.

Riddick said he knows a way to ease the tension.

"We should call Bob's Gun Shop and have him deliver eight 9-millimeters to us," he said. "We'll keep them on our desk in case we need them."

Pilot writer Matthew Bowers contributed to this report.

Harry Minium, (757) 446-2371, harry.minium@pilotonline.com

http://hamptonroads.com/2008/10/norfolk-police-clashes-fires-gun-rights-group

----------------------------------------------------

EDIT - location info added.

Norfolk City Council
810 Union Street
Norfolk, VA

City Hall is marked with the red X. Note public parking just southwest of City Hall. We will be meeting on the west side of city hall beginning at 1830 - you won't miss dozens of armed citizens.

*** NOTE: There are several courthouses very close to Norfolk City Hall - I know of one just to the east and another just to the north - please make certain that you do not mistakenly walk into a courthouse. ***

Norfolk.jpg

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Renegade wrote:
"We should call Bob's Gun Shop and have him deliver eight 9-millimeters to us," he said. "We'll keep them on our desk in case we need them."

Wouldn't that be brandishing?

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Thundar wrote:
No that would be concealing.

No kidding, that would be concealing? You're making me pull out my dictionary thundar.

I would have added a rolls eyes avatar to my posts,but OCDO doesn't have one in their Emoticons.

:quirky

Renegade

imported post

Unless Councilman Riddick has a Virginia Concealed Handgun Permit he would be prohibited from purchasing six pistols at once. Read Purchase of Multiple Handguns in Virginia.
http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_MultiplePurchase.shtm

I wonder if Councilman Riddick would actually qualify for a Virginia CHP though. I seem to remember something regarding his violent temper - throwing a ham at someone at Smithfield Foods...I am pretty sure he was charged - was he convicted?

Then again the BATFE may wish to investigate this possible straw purchase since I doubt the Councilman would be purchasing all six 9mm for himself. Remember the Gun Control Act of 1968?
http://www.atf.treas.gov/pub/fire-explo_pub/gca.htm

Let's pretend that Councilman Riddick was able to purchase six handguns on the same day - the licensed dealer would be required to fill out a BATFE Form 3310.4 - copies of this form would be sent to local and/or State police.
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#f5

Sonora Rebel

imported post

"Walking around downtown with a gun on your hip, that's just somebody trying to get attention, somebody trying to embarrass the city," he said. "This is not Wyatt Earp in the wild, wild West. It's an urban city with lots of problems.

'Sounds more like an individual taking responsibility for his/her own self defense in an urban city with 'lots of problems'. Would one of those problems be Crimes against persons? :?

Openly bearing armsIS THE 2nd AMENDMENT! :banghead:

DKSuddeth

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

since councilman riddicks comments are now public record, any chance of asking the feds for a civil rights violation investigation?

mobeewan

imported post

It always amazes me the narrow thinking of those who chastise people on why they don't conceal. At minimum it costs an averageVa resident$100to get a CHP.$50for the firearms class if youcan't meet one of the other proof of competancy criteria and $50 for the permit. Unless you want a CHP, why pay if you can play for free?Not to mention CC in hot weather is damned uncomfortable.

bayboy42

imported post

Renegade wrote
By Harry Minium
The Virginian-Pilot
© October 5, 2008

NORFOLK

City Council members acknowledged that the city may have erred, but they accused gun owners of being provocative.

Councilman W. Randy Wright has a concealed-weapons permit, has won awards for marksmanship and believes in gun rights, he said. Yet he said he is appalled by anyone who walks around with a gun in a holster.

Councilman Paul R. Riddick said that's ridiculous.

"When you see a guy standing downtown in front of a bank with a gun on, what would you expect the average policeman to do?" he said. "You'd expect him to find out what the hell is going on."

Councilman Barclay C. Winn, who is a hunter, said the guns-rights group's actions are precisely why he won't joint the NRA - the powerful lobbyists the National Rifle Association.

"I believe in the right to bear arms," he said. "But I just don't understand why somebody feels the need to strap a gun on his side, knowing full well that people are going to be alarmed and upset. I don't understand why they have to be such big, bad macho men."

Riddick said he knows a way to ease the tension.

Pilot writer Matthew Bowers contributed to this report.

Harry Minium, (757) 446-2371, harry.minium@pilotonline.com

http://hamptonroads.com/2008/10/norfolk-police-clashes-fires-gun-rights-group

I don't know who exactly plans to speak on Tuesday evening (I am undecided at this time) but if you do, I feel that the bold comments highlighted above should be addressed directly to their respective issuers. Renegade, you should definitely use Councilman Riddick's comments to illustrate how out of touch with gun laws he really is (of course if speaking won't interfere with your lawsuit).

All of the Norfolk incidents have bothered me but these comments have pushed me into a state way past bothered. Combine these comments with the ridiculous "security" procedures that Norfolk has in place and I can feel my ears turning red.:banghead::cuss: