• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

If YOU are carrying a firearm

v8shoguy

imported post

Everyone's seen these signs, right? I saw one posted on the door of a convenience store in Columbus last night. It was also posted right over the register. As a law-abiding citizen (not a robber / legally able to possess firearms), what felony is being committed by carrying in a store that sells liquor?

medic0157

imported post

Part of the Ohio law is that if alcohol is sold for consumption on the premise, you cant CCW. My guess is someone under educated on the law. This convenience store doesn't have bar stools in it does it? Unless they have a No firearms sign you can carry. Telling someone they could be committing a felony is not asking them not to carry imo.

v8shoguy

imported post

Don't remember where it was exactly (long night, longer story) but my best guess with the help of google street view is the Shell on the 600 block of S. High St. but I could be way off base.

Just to make it clear, I don't have anything against the store owner/operator/employees. This was just an observation that I made at whatever location that I happened to be in. I furthermore am not suggesting that the location is gun un-friendly. I'm simply wondering what offense that sign refers to and what authority it comes from.

Edit: No barstools, so I'm 99.9% sure there's no on-site consumption.

Legba

imported post

By default, the Department of Liquor Control used to send out those signs to all "Class D" licensed premises, which technically included places which had Sunday carryout. The intent was that people not be armed in a place that had on-site consumption, but this "Class D" ambiguity was supposedly removed with the last revision of the carry laws.

-ljp

Deanimator

imported post

Legba wrote:
By default, the Department of Liquor Control used to send out those signs to all "Class D" licensed premeses, which technically included places which had Sunday carryout. The intent was that people not be armed in a place that had on-site consumption, but this "Class D" ambiguity was supposedly removed with the last revision of the carry laws.

-ljp
I remember those signs from LONG before CCW was lawful in Ohio. I suspect they come under some superseded part of the ORC that was overridden by the CCW law(s).