• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Let's Write Letters to the Editor about Presidential Candidates

Don Barnett

imported post

I recently discovered your web site and I would like to use it to make a suggestion. With McCain slipping in the polls, there is one issue that has universal appeal and that is Gun Rights. Most people support the Second Amendment. If readers of this web site would write letters to their local newpapers pointing out the differences in the candidates positions, maybe this will make a difference...particularly in the blue collar battle ground states. Here is a letter that I just sent to my local paper pointing out the implications of selecting the wrong candidate. Feel free to use my ideas, if you wish:

For those of you who are undecided about who to vote for in the upcoming Presidential election, or for those who think that maybe the President does not have much impact on our day to day lives, think about this: if Gore and/or Kerry had been elected in 2000 and 2004 respectively, then you would no longer have the right to possess firearms.

In the case of Heller v. DC, only five of the nine justices voted to uphold the original meaning of the Second Amendment; the other dissenting, liberal justices would have overturned those rights. Because Bush was elected in 2000 and again in 2004, he was able to appoint two of the constructionist justices who voted to uphold the Amendment’s original meaning. Gore or Kerry would certainly have appointed liberal justices, making the outcome of this case entirely different.

In this election, only one candidate, John McCain, has promised to appoint strict constructionist judges to the bench if he were elected, like the ones who voted to uphold our Second Amendment rights. The other candidate, Obama, has openly stated that he believes cities and states should have the right to outlaw possession of handguns and that he disagrees with the judicial philosophy of Clarence Thomas, one of the constructionist justices who voted to uphold our Second Amendment rights. So, we must assume that if Obama is elected President he will appoint only liberal justices, like the ones who would have overturned the Second Amendment.

As you enter the voting booth, think about how much this Supreme Court decision means to you and how important it is to make the right choice for President.

Sincerely,

rodbender

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
I don't believe the promises of candidates but only the evidence their actions. I remember the Keating Five and McCain-Feingold.

The main investigator on the Keating Five incident (I forget his name but hesaid he is a Democrat) was on a talk show yesterday and said that John McCain nor John Glenn had done absolutely nothing wrong. At the conclusion of his investigation, he recommended that neither of these two should be investigated any further. He also stated that the congressional panel that went forward with the investigation of this incident, did not want to investigate only democrats and threw McCain into the mix as well. Absolutely no partisanship there.

McCain-Feingold, McCain-Kennedy, and McCain-Leibermanis another story altogether.

Don Barnett

imported post

I agree that McCain does NOT win the hearts of true conservatives as he has "reached across the aisle" too far...but the alternative is a "hard core" liberal who has NEVER reached to the right...EVER! If I had to pick ONE issue important to me then that issue is Judicial Nominations...and there McCain has it.

Thundar

imported post

Don Barnett wrote:
In this election, only one candidate, John McCain, has promised to appoint strict constructionist judges to the bench if he were elected, like the ones who voted to uphold our Second Amendment rights.

That is not true. Bob Barr is a strict constitutionalist and a staunch defender of the 2nd Ammendment.

BARR 08

rodbender

imported post

Thundar wrote:
That is not true. Bob Barr is a strict constitutionalist and a staunch defender of the 2nd Ammendment.

BARR 08

Bob Barr does not stand a chance in this election. The Libertarian Party is going to go nowhere until they realize that they need to concentrate on local and state elections and work their way up. Instead they go straight for the top of all political offices.

That is like graduating high school and expecting get a job as the CEO of a major corporation. When the Libertarian Party gets real and realsmart, I'll join the party and be damned glad to participate. Until then, they are pissing into the wind.

Don Barnett

imported post

Yes, I did forget the Libertarian Party. Vote as you must, but in my opinion, voting for the Libertarian candidate is like taking a vote away from the Republican...just as voting for the Green candidate takes a vote away from the Democrat. Then, there is another issue important to me that the Libertarians are on the wrong side of: Abortion. I am a Pro-Life Catholic and the Libertarians are Pro-Choice.

Thundar

imported post

rodbender wrote:
Thundar wrote:

BARR 08

Bob Barr does not stand a chance in this election. The Libertarian Party is going to go nowhere until they realize that they need to concentrate on local and state elections and work their way up. Instead they go straight for the top of all political offices.

That is like graduating high school and expecting get a job as the CEO of a major corporation. When the Libertarian Party gets real and realsmart, I'll join the party and be damned glad to participate. Until then, they are pissing into the wind.

John McCain does not stand a chance in this election. He has positioned himself as Democrat / Nanny state light. When the Republican party stops persuing big government and returns to its libertarian roots of economic and personal freedom there will not be a need for the Libertarian Party. Until then it will be a Democrat spending and human rights revocation Orgy.

Remember Bob Barr did not leave the Republican Party. The Republican Party left Bob Barr.

BARR 08

As to your comments about the Libertarians working their way up, in Virginia the Libertarian party is quite well established. The Republican U.S. Senate candidate, Gilmore is not a gun grabber, but works hard at other anti-liberty efforts including REAL ID and Patriot Act crap. Fortunately we have a candidate that stands for gun rights and liberty:

REDPATH 08 for U.S. Senator from VA