• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

TSA Security Really Sucks.

mlands

imported post

Recently while atDulles Airport a LEO was walking thru the sceening process and was told that he could not carry a pair of small fingernail trimmingscissors.He had already identified himself as a LEO andpointed to his gun on his hip and said sarcasically "What about this?"The TSA airport guardthen told him "I don't care aboutabout that. Youcannot carry apair thosescissors!"

possumboy

imported post

mlands wrote:
Recently while atDulles Airport a LEO was walking thru the sceening process and was told that he could not carry a pair of small fingernail trimmingscissors.He had already identified himself as a LEO andpointed to his gun on his hip and said sarcasically "What about this?"The TSA airport guardthen told him "I don't care aboutabout that. Youcannot carry apair thosescissors!"
Do you have a link to this? This is funny.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

mlands wrote:
Reminds me of going to the General Assembly building in Richmond. I went through the metal detectors with my handgun, showing my CHL as required, but they had to put my walking stick through the x-ray machine.

Krato88

imported post

mlands wrote:

I work for TSA @ Dulles and this is completely 100% false.

Before you think you have the right to criticize TSA for anything you hear or have experienced, you MUST work for TSA. Absolutely no other perspective allows you the knowledge to offeran informed opinion untill you have done so - sorry to be so blunt, but its true.

Worked at Dulles for close to 5 years, in and arround TSA areas prior to actually working FOR them, and no one was more vocal and critical of them at the time...now, much much different.

I'll be happy to answer any intelligent questions the best I can, however, you must understand that alot of info is considered "Need to know", which isn't government jargon, but rather, the first level of being "classified" information, hence alot cannot be made openly known.

Be that as it may, ask away :)

Hef

imported post

Krato88 wrote:
mlands wrote:

Before you think you have the right to criticize TSA for anything you hear or have experienced, you MUST work for TSA. Absolutely no other perspective allows you the knowledge to offeran informed opinion untill you have done so - sorry to be so blunt, but its true.

Worked at Dulles for close to 5 years, in and arround TSA areas prior to actually working FOR them, and no one was more vocal and critical of them at the time...now, much much different.

I'll be happy to answer any intelligent questions the best I can, however, you must understand that alot of info is considered "Need to know", which isn't government jargon, but rather, the first level of being "classified" information, hence alot cannot be made openly known.

Are my boarding passes and/or baggage tags marked to indicate I checked a firearm when I fly? Is that sort of thing monitored?

Krato88

imported post

@ Hef

Unfortunately, TSA is divided into 2 sections - Passenger screening (people & carryons) and Baggage (checked bags) - I work the former. However, I did work for groups that handled baggage post-TSA checked baggage screening. Info may be a little out of date, so here it goes...

Boarding Pass marks - not that I know of, but to be 100% sure, ask your or any airline as they are printing any info on the actual boarding pass. If you are implying perhapse "Selectee Screening", those marks are made again, by the printers of your boarding pass, your airline(s).

Bag tags (checked) no marks on it specifically. I do think that they [airlines]still put a sticker/label on the outside of any firearms/ammo you declare that is going into checked baggage. Also, they may still require a form to be filled out that goes in the firearm's case for the baggage TSA folks to check. There is no tracking that I am aware of, but then again, I don't work in baggage.

Hef

imported post

From my perspective, the only indication I saw of a firearm was the unloaded declaration tag I put in the hardside pistol case that I showed the TSA agent at the ticket counter. The case was then locked and placed in another piece of luggage and tagged like my other bags, then sent through x-ray and off to the baggage handlers.

PavePusher

imported post

Krato88 wrote:
mlands wrote:

As an American citizen, I have the right to criticize anyone or thing I damn well please. It works better if I have an informed opinion of course. And having experienced TSA from the users side, I'm as informed as I need to be.

I've beenin the USAF for 18 years now.One of mydeployments, as a volunteer,to a war zone, in uniform,was not allowed to carry jewlers screwdrivers for my glasses. Had to throw them out. I am an aircraft mechanic and know dozens of ways to destroy an aircraft with my bare hands. Not to mention the almost everpresent rudeness and arrogance (see above) from public servants.

The best way you could enforce air travel security would be tohave passengers remove all clothes, then issue1911's with 3 8-round mags to all travelers.Clothes and guns to be returned at destination.

- sorry to be so blunt, but its true.

:cuss:

Krato88

imported post

PavePusher wrote:
Krato88 wrote:
mlands wrote:

As an American citizen, I have the right to criticize anyone or thing I damn well please. It works better if I have an informed opinion of course. And having experienced TSA from the users side, I'm as informed as I need to be.

I've beenin the USAF for 18 years now.One of mydeployments, as a volunteer,to a war zone, in uniform,was not allowed to carry jewlers screwdrivers for my glasses. Had to throw them out. I am an aircraft mechanic and know dozens of ways to destroy an aircraft with my bare hands. Not to mention the almost everpresent rudeness and arrogance (see above) from public servants.

The best way you could enforce air travel security would be tohave passengers remove all clothes, then issue1911's with 3 8-round mags to all travelers.Clothes and guns to be returned at destination.

- sorry to be so blunt, but its true.

:cuss:
You were deployed, as a volunteer, to a warzone, and weren't allowed to carry an object that anyone with more than a feeble amount of strength could use esstially as a Stiletto-style weapon. And you thought it had to do with the aircraft...hmm.

Regarding your "everpresent rudeness and arrogance from public servants"...the street runs both ways. I will grant you that some folks I work with and around are at some times rude to someone that has not been so to them. Then again...

...the people that will stop the line for minutes at a time playing with their cell phones who then show disdain and disgust at being told to move forward, aren't helping.

...the mother who slips a 2" bare-bones pocket knife into her 5-year old's jacket because it "belonged to her Grandaddy" and she doesn't want to lose it, isn't helping.

...the law-enforcement officer who got so disgusted that his belt kept alarming the walk-through metal detector that he charged through and threw it on the floor (and was then told by me personally "You are a law enforcement officer? Stop acting like a 2 year old, go back out, and put your belt into the X-ray") ISN"T HELPING.

And yes, as an American you have the right to be critical - please do. What you do not have the right to do is be the spreader of false information that is being conveyed as truth. For example:

We are being forced to play a role in this show, and those being entertained are the ones forcing us.
Wrong. In the grand scheme, you are chosing to fly. On the local level, you walk to the security line of your own valition and place your items on the x-ray belt to be screened.

TSA confiscated my antique zippo lighter, just because it had a butane torch insert. I had it in my checked luggage, which I thought would be okay
This is an item more commonly known as a "torch lighter" as opposed to a standard "flame lighter". The former is prohibited, the latter is not as long as you don't have more than 2 (btw attaching the word "antique" to any item has no effect on its availability to go/not go).

TH is right.... they have force you to be searched as you approach. They even search your bags if something looks funny inside during an x-Ray. Remove your shoes... walk through the metal detector.... and I recall people were taken at random in the past and told to undress or strip down further being a partition. Under what authority does the TSA have to do this? Is it all on condition that if you want to fly.... you have to do it?
Unfortunately, this is either BS or a misunderstanding of the location inviolved (I hope the latter). You cannot be screened without your consent prior to entering the screening checkpoint screening area - NOT the little rope line mind you, but the screening area. This is the area beyond the metal detector and the ajoining x-ray units - any verbage given to you in the area outside these areas are for your personal benfit for when you do go through the screening area (things like taking off shoes, removing liquids for inspection, etc). There are "programs" for pre-screening area screening using various devices, but all of those require the officer to request your permission prior to screening anything.

Now regarding X-ray bag searches, once your property has entered the x-ray, the screening process has begun - there is no "reversal". If your item(s) have gone in but you are still outside waiting to go through the walk-through, you have to...if you want your property back. You can still say "no I don't want to go through", but no one will handle your items to give them back (prevents people from putting items in x-ray and then walking away, potentially leaving somthing dangerous in the checkpoint). Once you yourself have gone though the walk-through metal detector, you have given your consent to be searched at any time between that point and the time your leave the secure area at your final destination - AT ANY TIME.

Any time people were "taken" to private screening areas, it is for one of a few reasons:

-Elderly/injured people with some sort brace/partition underneath their clothing that cannot be viewed in public
-People who have a money belt or some other item under their clothing
-People who have gone through hand-held metal detector screening who have alarmed and the alarm cannot be resolved by hand-pat down. (this is sometimes silly/stupid things, like one guy that had a brand-name metal plate attached to his undies :D)

Remember, "private" area means an area as private as possible, which means it really does depend on the present airport screening facilities - rest assured we make it as private as physically possible.

Hey, PavePusher, it's a new world now. He's TSA, so he gets to tell you what rights you get to keep, haven't you heard? :)
I suppose the next complaints are about liquids and gels screening, pregnent women screening , screening of children , IE more complaining about keeping the complainers safe. Google is your friend, but hey, you can't be bothered so I'll do it for you:

Liquids
(^click video link)
Russian sucide bombing
Pregnant women
"Religious man"

Very small powder exp.

...and thats the publically available information - the "Sensitive" info thats not relayable is much much worse. (or better for convincing I should say).

As a final sidebar, people who complain about removing bulky sweatshirts, jackets etc need to watch any of the hundreds of prison shows that come on NatGeo/Discovery almost every week, paying close attention to the parts where the guards show you their display of improvised weapons - now think "what could possibly be dangerous that isn't metal?" :? Among other things, the above...

cccook

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Krato88 wrote:
The arrogance of this statement is astounding. A person's right to speak freely is conditional upon that person working for a government agency? I never noticed the TSA wore brown shirts. I'll be more observant in the future.

razor_baghdad

imported post

Krato88 wrote:
Google is your friend, but hey, you can't be bothered so I'll do it for you:

...and thats the publically available information - the "Sensitive" info thats not relayable is much much worse. (or better for convincing I should say).

As a final sidebar, people who complain about removing bulky sweatshirts, jackets etc need to watch any of the hundreds of prison shows that come on NatGeo/Discovery almost every week, paying close attention to the parts where the guards show you their display of improvised weapons - now think "what could possibly be dangerous that isn't metal?" :? Among other things, the above...

OK.....sat back enough and watched.....speaking of google...here's what comes up for you:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=376723

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4389967&postcount=1

You appear to be quite the 21 year old gamer on those sites. Says you were a 20 year old in '07, making you 15 when you were 'working in/around' TSA for the last 5 years....makes you 21 now....

How many times, exactly, have you flown in your 21 years as a responsible adult doing absolutely nothing wrong, and had to turn something in that seemed irrelevant? Probably none.

Were you there when the LEO had to turn in his clippers while showing his gun? No, you weren't there.....so the100% drops down to 'NO YOU WEREN'T THERE'.

The 'bold' statement that you just made for the second time shows everyone that you really have no clue who your Virginia audience is, thus showing a tremendous lack of SA.

We know what the rules are, what to take what not to take, how to pack weapons into our suitcases legally. How exactly is it that, even though you work the 'personnel search' side of TSA, you do not know the rules for luggage?.

Unimagineable. You are showing us why this thread is named 'Why TSA Security really sucks'.

rant over.

Thundar

imported post

This thread was originally about open carry on railroads and TSA wrt AMTRAK. Anybody else open carry at AMTRAK stations or on AMTRAK trains?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

A BIG hand for you Razor!;)

clap.jpg

Krato88

imported post

razor_baghdad wrote:
Krato88 wrote:
Google is your friend, but hey, you can't be bothered so I'll do it for you:

OK.....sat back enough and watched.....speaking of google...here's what comes up for you:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=376723

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4389967&postcount=1

You appear to be quite the 21 year old gamer on those sites. Says you were a 20 year old in '07, making you 15 when you were 'working in/around' TSA for the last 5 years....makes you 21 now....

How many times, exactly, have you flown in your 21 years as a responsible adult doing absolutely nothing wrong, and had to turn something in that seemed irrelevant? Probably none.

Were you there when the LEO had to turn in his clippers while showing his gun? No, you weren't there.....so the100% drops down to 'NO YOU WEREN'T THERE'.

The 'bold' statement that you just made for the second time shows everyone that you really have no clue who your Virginia audience is, thus showing a tremendous lack of SA.

We know what the rules are, what to take what not to take, how to pack weapons into our suitcases legally. How exactly is it that, even though you work the 'personnel search' side of TSA, you do not know the rules for luggage?.

Unimagineable. You are showing us why this thread is named 'Why TSA Security really sucks'.

rant over.
LMAO - Thats it? Thats all you can muster? A gamer name on a forum that you assume to be me? Well, I think you now know first-hand what happens when you assume.

...making you 15 when you were 'working in/around' TSA for the last 5 years....makes you 21 now....
So for those mindlessly clapping, here's what I discovered after having to create an account (really pathetic) for both of those sites to view this person's private information (the initial posting of it would be a TOS violation, would it not? - READ Tos point #4). No birthdate, no age, and even if it did, I personally would treat it as suspect. I personally was born on October 11th, 1982 which would make me how old? Well, old enough to count at the very least. Btw TSA requires you to be 18 to start - Still clapping Peter?

Were you there when the LEO had to turn in his clippers while showing his gun? No, you weren't there
Funny, I don't recall you there that day either. All TSO's are briefed multiple times daily on every incident of substance at the airport - this more than qualifies as such. And since the incident that mlands described DID happen but not in the same way described, I'm going to guess that that is the same incident - but there are many many more, so any one of them could be the one described. Then again, more details would be necessary from mlands to pin down precisely what happened.

We know what the rules are, what to take what not to take, how to pack weapons into our suitcases legally.
Why then are there more than 20 firearms confiscated daily at airport checkpoints nation-wide? Why can people not remove items before coming through even though they've passed 20+ signs, a blaring TV display, and mulitple person's telling them just what to take out? The correct statement is "A small percentage of us [read 5%] know what the rules are, what to take what not to take, etc". Thats why there is ONE, just one lane out of twenty, set aside for "experienced" travelers. Still clapping Peter?

How exactly is it that, even though you work the 'personnel search' side of TSA, you do not know the rules for luggage
Again, this falls on you simply not being a part of TSA and therefor not knowing - fortunately, the facts in this case aren't Sensitive Information. TSA Baggage and TSA Passenger might as well be 2 separate companies/agencies - Training is separate - work areas are separate system-wide. Peter?

Are you claiming to represent the "Virginia audience"? Please don't insult them so, they deserve better. Are you the man at the front of the line, looking annoyed that the line isn't moving, and chatting with his buddy about the "slowness/ineffectiveness of TSA"? Then the single mother traveling with four kids behind you two points out that the belt has been running for the past 5 minutes...yes, this sounds like you - quick to criticize, slow to self-examine. Everyone but that small 5-10% are all herd animals when they travel, looking around with that blank or comically pissed-off stare (POed that they won't make their flight in 10 minutes that they showed up for 30 minutes early for aka "2 hours"). You can either be herded though as safely as possible (note I didn't say 'quickly'), or not fly - that is today's reality.

The arrogance of this statement is astounding. A person's right to speak freely is conditional upon that person working for a government agency?
You would make the same quoted statement to a CIA/FBI agent telling you to "leave the area for undisclosed reasons" right? And, assuming you weren't arrested immediately, you'd more than likely be injured or dust moments later. The point is not the possible threat to yours or other's lives, but rather that certain people are always going to be around that simply know more than you, and aren't going to be able to tell you about it - the sooner you can grasp that and accept it instead of wrestling against it, you'll live with alot less stress and more importantly, less anger towards those with your safety in mind.

razor_baghdad

imported post

Meh........once again..(twice...thrice even) , you'd be wrong krato88......btw....how many krato88 are there out there??....lol

I'm one of those that prepares well to fly....flown many many times....lotso miles with more than one airline....

I laugh at the people who aren't prepared at Xray and I appreciate AND RESPECT the 'good' TSA folks who are doing a good job.

If only there were more like you I suppose we would all sleep better at night and board the planes with no problems, eh??

Once again with the 'I know more than you know' without fully appreciating the audience....attempting to make yourself....ahem...self important....keep going.

Are you comparing yourself to an FBI/CIA Agent in level of importance?....just wondering....

You make me smile just like the folks who get stuff confiscated in front of me....