• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Show!!

Sheldon

imported post

Well I went to the local Fair Grounds for the gun / knife show today after Church. Usually the show is at the very least moderately (150+) crowded at this time of day, but there were fewer than 30 (maybe as low as 20) people that were not vendors in the whole building! :shock:

Curious I said to on the the regulars, "Please don't tell me it was this way yesterday" N he said "It was this way yesterday"... "with high gas prices and the economics people are afraid to get out".:what:

Well I figure at this rate if this keeps up the Democrats will not need to pass any gun show laws, all the vendors will just go broke...:cuss:

The moral to this story is support your hobby go buy a gun N some ammo.:celebrate

Michigander

imported post

Between internet prices, the economic slow down, and the end of good deals on old military gear, the gun show era is gone. There are a few cool ones from time to time, but the days of good deals at frequent gun shows are over. It would take a really strong change in politics to change that, and it doesn't look likely.

BillMCyrus

imported post

It's even worse in the PRK, where there's a maze of stupid waiting periods and restrictions. Nothing can be bought on the spot except C&R, and most of those are crappy or overpriced.

Evil Ernie

imported post

FogRider wrote:
There is still a good one in Denver of all places. Tanner Gun Show. I'll be attending this weekend, trying to find an old Contender frame.
I got tired of seeing jewelry, nuts (edible kind), knives, tools, and overall junk at Tanner. It's big, but lacks substance. I do need to break down and go find some 8mm and 303.

David.Car

imported post

Sheldon wrote:
Curious I said to on the the regulars, "Please don't tell me it was this way yesterday" N he said "It was this way yesterday"... "with high gas prices and the economics people are afraid to get out".:what:
Good news is, with that few of visitors you should be able to haggle a sweet deal on almost anything there. Especially if two different vendors have the same item... They can compete for your business ;)

Edit: There is a gun show at the fairgrounds here in Spokane every month or two. Still always pretty crowded. Arrived 10 minutes before opening to last one and was about 100th in line to get in, with a lot more behind me by the time the doors opened.

Sheldon

imported post

David.Car wrote:
Evil Erniewrote:
I got tired of seeing jewelry, nuts (edible kind), knives, tools, and overall junk at Tanner. It's big, but lacks substance. I do need to break down and go find some 8mm and 303.
Good news is, with that few of visitors you should be able to haggle a sweet deal on almost anything there. Especially if two different vendors have the same item... They can compete for your business ;)

Edit: There is a gun show at the fairgrounds here in Spokane every month or two. Still always pretty crowded. Arrived 10 minutes before opening to last one and was about 100th in line to get in, with a lot more behind me by the time the doors opened.

Spokane! beautiful country, had a Uncle that lived out there and use to go for visits every few years.

Although I did not try to haggle on any thing I noticed signs Saying "discounts of $100.00 on any AR configuration" but I ham saving my money for Knob Creek this weekend:celebrate

Ernie: the free samples from those snacks are what keeps me from eating the nasty looking Nachos N Hot-dogs (and the world class indigestion) they sell at those things.:banghead:

Plus the jewelery is what brings the wife along, and when she happens to see a gun she likes we get a new toy to play with.:celebrate

Michigander

imported post

The gun shows here in AZ are extremely crowded, and have ton of vendors. But basically it's better to order stuff from the web. With the high price to park, and the high price to get in, it's little more than a rip off with the same prices you pay on the web. I used to like to go to support the vendors, but with the milsurp market all but gone, it's really hard to justify going to the damn things.

codegeek2004

imported post

i was at the gunshow at the Clark County fair grounds last weekend, there weren't 150+ people there, but there were probably 70-80 people at least the whole time i was, it may have gotten quieter after though.

Im looking forward to the big gun show at the Portland expo center. lots more venders and what not.

David.Car

imported post

Michigander wrote:
The gun shows here in AZ are extremely crowded, and have ton of vendors. But basically it's better to order stuff from the web. With the high price to park, and the high price to get in, it's little more than a rip off with the same prices you pay on the web. I used to like to go to support the vendors, but with the milsurp market all but gone, it's really hard to justify going to the damn things.
Agreed. I mostly go just to look around. The real deals are found on the tables run by private owners who only do 1 show to sell off some of their own items, and than the visitors walking around selling.