• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

reading and still confused

jamieg25

imported post

i was reading in both the statutes and the ag opinion and i am still confused

the way i understand the reading is that just being in a car does not automatically qualify as concealed as long as a part of the firearm is visible so this brings me to my question

would a tactical holster where the firearm is visible and located just above the knee and when you sit you just adjust to have it rest on the top of your thigh be considered concealed as i need to take a cab as i do not have a car so taking the firearm home on the bus is out of the question and it is not a good idea to put it in the trunk of a cab as they will drive off and not give you a chance to get it out

The Fiercest Beard

imported post

i would think a call to a sheriffs office, or a lawyer would get that cleared up for you...

riding in a cabcould bea unique situation, since you are ridingincompany property... so i thinkit would beat the disgression of the cab company...

jamieg25

imported post

i asked the sherriff office and their opinion would be to put it it inthe trunk and locked case so i guess the only way to keep a driver from taking off with it is to buy a car on the way over to buy the handgun because cab drivers do not give you time to get things out of the trunk and i lost hundreds of dollars in groceries when the driver takes off immediately after i get out of the car

as far as asking a lawyer i wish that i could find one that will actually answer a question without asking me for a $5000 retainer first

The Fiercest Beard

imported post

the public defenders office is a few blocks from the police station... im sure they could give you an interiptation of the laws...

ive also had good luck asking law professors legal questions and getting a reply in a reasonable time. but be prepared to get a no reponse or rejection from that route...

AbNo

imported post

From what I understand, you never get a real answer when you call a LEO office about a gun law.

Try getting one of your elected reps to get an Attorney General opinion for you, preferably a pro-defense official.

The Fiercest Beard

imported post

the city leo is pretty worthless here, but the sheriffs office has some solid individuals there, most of South Dakota is blessed in that we support gun owners, common sense tends to be more common here then other places i have lived.

TheFuzz

imported post

With SD to carry in a vehicle it has to be plainly visible. (IE don't stuff it between the seats) To make it easy just get a CCW permit then there are no arguments. Or where it on your hip completely exposed in a holster. Or drop holster, whatever you want.

The cabbies might take issue with you having a gun though.

The Sheriff's Office in Sioux Falls has pamphlets put out by the Attorney General that covers the gun laws and CCW and explains each law.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

jamieg25 wrote:
i was reading in both the statutes and the ag opinion and i am still confused

the way i understand the reading is that just being in a car does not automatically qualify as concealed as long as a part of the firearm is visible so this brings me to my question

would a tactical holster where the firearm is visible and located just above the knee and when you sit you just adjust to have it rest on the top of your thigh be considered concealed as i need to take a cab as i do not have a car so taking the firearm home on the bus is out of the question and it is not a good idea to put it in the trunk of a cab as they will drive off and not give you a chance to get it out
What is your objective? To transport the gun, or carry it? And why not carry it on the bus?