• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My pistol permit process so far

srage10

imported post

I know there have been a few threads about how crazy the process can be in CT so I thought I would share my experience so far.

Permit certification class as done mid September. It took a couple of weeks to get down to the Resident Trooper to pick up the application. Filled out right away but took a couple weeks before getting it notarized (stupid responsible life getting in the way of fun stuff).

I called the Resident Trooper's office today at 2:30 to find out when I could drop off the application and get fingerprinted. He paused a second and said "the guy that can do all that for you will be in at 3pm, can you be down here around then?". I said no problem and called the wife (she's applying as well) and we met up at the office.

We went through all the paperwork to make sure the Ts are crossed and Is dotted. Fingerprinted me first, two cards, and then same thing with the wife. After double checking all the information from the print cards, he told us to give a check back in about a month and to have a nice day.

So far I'm pretty impressed. Perhaps because Washington is a small rural-esque town serviced by the State Troopers that we don't have to deal with long waits and illegal extra requirements? Several years ago I took the permit class and the instructor went around the room asking what town we were from. When I told him Danbury he replied "You planning on moving anytime soon? You might want to wait until you're in a different jurisdiction".

LKB3rd

imported post

It seems to vary pretty widely, with the more urban cities givng the most problems... which I find to be backwards, because that is where the people have a more frequent need to defend themselves generally.
In Branford, it was smooth sailing, no problems at all, and I got my permit in 5 weeks.

MGoduto

imported post

The process in New Britain was pretty smooth. I had to make an appointment for the day they are open to take prints, and they still use ink (which is a bitch to wash off), but the cop was cordial and it went okay.

srage10

imported post

srage10 wrote:
Monday was officially 4 weeks though work has kept me a little too busy to call. I figure I'll give them a ring tomorrow to see what's going on.
OK, so work kept me busy a little longer than I wanted. I called this morning. He said the paperwork from the state was back and everything was good, but hadn't received anything from the FBI yet. He would have the officer in charge of permits give them a call and get back to me today.

imported post

hi, this is my first time posting here. i applied for my permit in fairfield on election day this year, turned in the copy of the birth certificate and passport photo and all that jazz. thought i should get it while i can. anyway they said they would give me an appointment for fingerprinting but i havent heard anything yet. should i go in on tuesday and ask about it or would that just slow down the process.

thx

LKB3rd

imported post

Fingerprinting is about a 5 minute process. In Branford, they told me to show up any time, as long as it wasn't during a shift change.
It's a simple thing, and if they aren't promptly doing what they said they would do, I wouldn't feel out of line going there and asking if they would do it when you showed up, and if they said no, requesting they give you an appointment. Some towns are sort of passive aggressive, and will make you wait, and come back repeatedly, etc. I'd push them a little if it seems like that is what they are doing.

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

Basic Pennsylvania Process:

No fingerprinting.

No training.

No list of firearms owned.

No local police department involvement.

No notarized statements.

Fill out a one-page application at the County Sheriff's office.

Hand over the money (anywhere between $19 and $45).

Wait for the license (as quick as 15 minutes, or as long as 45 days, depending on the county).

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

1_Lacey_Pl_Southport wrote:
hi, this is my first time posting here. i applied for my permit in fairfield on election day this year, turned in the copy of the birth certificate and passport photo and all that jazz. thought i should get it while i can. anyway they said they would give me an appointment for fingerprinting but i havent heard anything yet. should i go in on tuesday and ask about it or would that just slow down the process.

thx

Some towns have specific dates and times when they do all finger prints at once. Try calling again and asking them what the deal is. My friend in Bristol missed their once a month printing by a couple days and had to wait until the next month. In my town, I just went down to the department during the day and after a ten minute wait they were able to get me in.

srage10

imported post

srage10 wrote:
srage10 wrote:
Monday was officially 4 weeks though work has kept me a little too busy to call. I figure I'll give them a ring tomorrow to see what's going on.
OK, so work kept me busy a little longer than I wanted. I called this morning. He said the paperwork from the state was back and everything was good, but hadn't received anything from the FBI yet. He would have the officer in charge of permits give them a call and get back to me today.
We're now at 8 weeks. The officer in charge of permits never called me nor has he returned any of my phone calls (latest one was today). I understand that they have no control over the FBI but a little courtesy would be nice.

If this was any other time I would just deal but it is annoying watching prices going up and up and not being able to do anything.

jennaz

imported post

srage10 wrote:
We're now at 8 weeks.  The officer in charge of permits never called me nor has he returned any of my phone calls (latest one was today).  I understand that they have no control over the FBI but a little courtesy would be nice.

If this was any other time I would just deal but it is annoying watching prices going up and up and not being able to do anything.

you should be able to put one on layaway or in CT you can purchase without a license but not carry. It has to stay in your home. THere is a waiting period before you can take it home with you.

I live in Torrington and I brought all my paperwork in, got fingerprinted, and got my town permit in 5 days. No problems, everybody was very friendly. Went to Troop L when they were open for licensing and was in and out of there in about 5 minutes. The whole experience was better than the DMV.

LKB3rd

imported post

you should be able to put one on layaway or in CT you can purchase without a license but not carry. It has to stay in your home. THere is a waiting period before you can take it home with you.

I live in Torrington and I brought all my paperwork in, got fingerprinted, and got my town permit in 5 days. No problems, everybody was very friendly. Went to Troop L when they were open for licensing and was in and out of there in about 5 minutes. The whole experience was better than the DMV.
I am pretty sure that that is the old system, and the current system has been changed to where there is only one permit, the carry permit, which is required to purchase a handgun. Unless I am misinformed, they eliminated the old purchase permit, for in the house, and to and from the range.

srage10

imported post

The wife had a day off last week so she went down to ask in person (since phone calls haven't been returned). This time, they said both paperwork from the state and the FBI are in. The apologized and said our paperwork got caught during the transition of how they handle permit requests and we should be hearing from them next week (being this week).

Yesterday my boss got a call from the trooper looking to confirm I work here.

It would be cool if we could finish everything with the town this week since Monday is one of the days that Troop L does permits and they are only about 15 minutes up the road from us.

GunOwnerJoe

imported post

Just to jump in I have been coming here for the last 3 to 4 months reading around and I wanted to say Stratford is horrible to get your permit in.

I had to wait a month to get finger prints done, and I am at my 7th week waiting:what::banghead:. So I checked out the DPS website and I see that now the new wait time is 4-8 weeks not the 4-6 weeks it used to be (or so I was told by the Detective) :-/

I already purchased my pistol and it's now being knocked around a dealers safe until I can go pick it up.

What is the average wait time in CT in my area anyway?

Good luck with your stuff srage10:celebrate

srage10

imported post

Couple days ago we got the call. Permits were ready and we could pick them up at Town Hall any day after Thursday. I'm taking a long lunch to grab 'em today.

As long as everything goes smooth on Monday, it will be exactly 10 weeks start to finish.

GoldCoaster

imported post

GunOwnerJoe wrote:
Just to jump in I have been coming here for the last 3 to 4 months reading around and I wanted to say Stratford is horrible to get your permit in.

I had to wait a month to get finger prints done, and I am at my 7th week waiting:what::banghead:. So I checked out the DPS website and I see that now the new wait time is 4-8 weeks not the 4-6 weeks it used to be (or so I was told by the Detective) :-/

I already purchased my pistol and it's now being knocked around a dealers safe until I can go pick it up.

What is the average wait time in CT in my area anyway?

Good luck with your stuff srage10:celebrate
Isn't that the truth!!! they only do 3 appointments per week, so 12 per month, no wonder there's a backlog!

It took me a month to get my fingerprint appointment there but once that was done the background check and town permit was about 5 weeks. I drove straight from SPD to Troop G and traded the paper thing for a plastic state one.

With the uncertain economy and the worry that BHO is going to curtail 2nd amendment RIGHTS the gunshops are very busy and the number of folks getting permits is very high.

I kidded with the detective that what we really needed to find was a crime that would get the fingerprints and background done without disqualifying you from getting a permit...

Where do you plan on shooting when you get your permit?

GoldCoaster

imported post

If my buddy wants to shoot he and I will go to his club (Bridgeport Rifle Club) in the South End of Stratford (members only). If I'm on my own I'll go up to Bridgeport Shooting Range (it's just over the Bridgeport line on Stratford Ave). they are nice folks and the prices are reasonable. Not as cheap as joining a club but no strings.

Where abouts in Stratford are you? I'm down in Lordship.