• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First majorly negative confrontation...

curtiswr

imported post

On the walk home from 7-11 a few days ago, while OCing, I was confronted by someone about it first asking if it was a real pistol and why I had it. I told him it was real and that it was for self defense, then he flat-out called me a wuss (in stronger terms) for opting to have a gun instead of fighting with my hands. I asked him if he had ever started a fist fight. He said yes. I said "okay, and would a gun on someone's hip stop you from seeking a fight, for whatever reason, with someone?" Again, he said yes. I then said "well there you go" and told him good night.

As for the trade offer:

I have a Springfield XD .40 Subcompact. Not sure of the round count, but definitely very few. Don't have the XD gear or the case, unfortunately. I want a Ruger Redhawk .44 Magnum. If anyone's interested maybe we could set up a meeting in the Richmond area.

richarcm

imported post

curtiswr wrote:
On the walk home from 7-11 a few days ago, while OCing, I was confronted by someone about it first asking if it was a real pistol and why I had it. I told him it was real and that it was for self defense, then he flat-out called me a wuss (in stronger terms) for opting to have a gun instead of fighting with my hands. I asked him if he had ever started a fist fight. He said yes. I said "okay, and would a gun on someone's hip stop you from seeking a fight, for whatever reason, with someone?" Again, he said yes. I then said "well there you go" and told him good night.

As for the trade offer:

I have a Springfield XD .40 Subcompact. Not sure of the round count, but definitely very few. Don't have the XD gear or the case, unfortunately. I want a Ruger Redhawk .44 Magnum. If anyone's interested maybe we could set up a meeting in the Richmond area.

Call me a P**** anytime. Or racist, sexist, mean, whatever. I'm over all the names that these people use to try to make their point.

Call me whatever you want. This gun is staying on my side.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Curtiswr, how dare you use common sense and logic to counter his irrational biases and world views!! Now he is going to think you are the kind of guy who avoids trouble and doesn't start crap with people just to have a good old fashioned brawl for the helluvit. I hope you rethink how you interact with people or you are going to eventually hurt someone's feeling!

Tomahawk

imported post

Maybe it's just me, but it seems to me that in places where guns are illegal people seem more willing to play the bully and go to physical violence? That that kind of childish schoolyard behaviour disappears when people are more likely to be armed?

Maybe it's just me projecting my beliefs. But it fits with RA Heinlein's quote.

72Malibu

imported post

Personally, when it comes to protecting my family from any would be armed aggressor, I would rather have the upper hand anytime, whether it be to deter or (only when necessary) neutralize an iminent threat.

Call me whatever you want. I can take it. Beat me up, to whatever you want to me. I would rather take the brunt of violence than for my family to. Words and labels can't hurt me.

I carry a firearm to protect my family and others. I can honestly say that I would rather defend someone else than defend myself, orders of priority for self defense are:

1. Family
2. The Innocent
3. Myself

I don't seek praise or recognition for it, nor do I have the desire to offend or have anybody look down on me because of my desire to be there for my fellow man. It's just in my own personal nature to have the desire to be a sheepdog.

wehrmachtXD40_COLT45

imported post

72Malibu wrote:
I carry a firearm to protect my family and others. I can honestly say that I would rather defend someone else than defend myself, orders of priority for self defense are:

1. Family
2. The Innocent
3. Myself

I don't seek praise or recognition for it, nor do I have the desire to offend or have anybody look down on me because of my desire to be there for my fellow man. It's just in my own personal nature to have the desire to be a sheepdog.
Well said Malibu

cmartin7864

imported post

72Malibu wrote:
Personally, when it comes to protecting my family from any would be armed aggressor, I would rather have the upper hand anytime, whether it be to deter or (only when necessary) neutralize an iminent threat.

Call me whatever you want. I can take it. Beat me up, to whatever you want to me. I would rather take the brunt of violence than for my family to. Words and labels can't hurt me.

1. Family
2. The Innocent
3. Myself

I agree

W.E.G.

imported post

I don't argue with idiots.

They just drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

Give 'em the evil eye and keep walking.

Infidel

imported post

curtiswr wrote:

As for the trade offer:

Curtis looking for a new gun already? It's only been a couple months since I bought all your old 9MM stuff (holster and ammo). You might want to go to Dominion Shooting Range and try renting a gun to see if it's what you like and want, rather than buying and selling!

nova

imported post

curtiswr wrote:

As for the trade offer:

maybe that gun should see this movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DzcOCyHDqc

kle

imported post

Infidel wrote:
Curtis looking for a new gun already? It's only been a couple months since I bought all your old 9MM stuff (holster and ammo). You might want to go to Dominion Shooting Range and try renting a gun to see if it's what you like and want, rather than buying and selling!
I rather like buying and selling. It's like an extended rental period, where you can take the gun home and see how it fits in with your lifestyle, not just how well it fits your hands at a range. Just keep the gun in good shape so that you can get the most back out of it when it comes time to change hardware (again).

curtiswr

imported post

Looking for something else because I don't have a need for a subcompact right now. I don't conceal and I don't have any intention to conceal anytime soon. And if I were to conceal, I would rather have an S&W 642 or something similar and not as blocky as the XD .40 subcompact.

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Maybe it's just me, but it seems to me that in places where guns are illegal people seem more willing to play the bully and go to physical violence? That that kind of childish schoolyard behaviour disappears when people are more likely to be armed?

Maybe it's just me projecting my beliefs. But it fits with RA Heinlein's quote.
Absolutely.

A group of roving thugs with rocks, blades and clubs can kill you just as dead; and in the past before there were guns, they often did.