Thread: .45+p ammo

Formerly Kwajalein atoll, and Iraq. Now Zuni Va

Post imported post

I just purchased a SA 1911 loaded champion model.Fired standard ammo with no problem.My question is will it handle +P ammo safely.
    FREEDOM ISNT FREE. BUT THE UNITED STATES MARINES ARE MORE THAN WILLING TO PAY YOUR SHARE!!

Post imported post

It should handle +P ammo no problems as +P is loaded to SAAMI specs. +P+ on the other hand is load above SAAMI and you should consult the manufacturer before using. Remember a good rule of thumb, most firearms will handle the hotter ammo but it puts more stress on the frame and should be used occasional use only, not for everyday use as you will wear the firearm out quicker.

Post imported post

If you plan to shoot hot loads regularly you can get a stronger recoil spring from Wolff springs, and possibly a recoil buffer. http://www.gunsprings.com/

Just make sure it cycles reliably with standard ammo before betting your life on it.

Post imported post

I own the same gun. Put approx. 200 rounds 230gr +P ammo thru it, mix of Hornady and Federal. Probably put somewhere close to 5,000 rounds of standard ammunition thru it, no problems. Actually in all of that shooting I can recall only 1 failure to eject while using wolf ammo when the gun was very dry and very dirty.