• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First time OC

Cougar125

imported post

Saturday I was helping a female friend of mine pack up her moving truck because she got hurt. She had called me the night before and asked for help. Her boyfriend, also a friend of mine, asked me to bring my Ruger over so he could see it. Cool. Lets pack stuff up and show each other our guns (we hadn't seen the others before).

Since I was driving from Oak Harbor to somewhere off East Camano Rd, I brought my pistol in its case, stuck behind the seat of my truck.

Fast forward through the boring stuff...

We are all packed and hungry. I will be headingback to Oak Harbor and they are heading to Granite Falls. My friend (the boyfriend) suggests we stop and eat before making it off Camano. We stopped at Duck In Burgers in Stanwood.

I got out of the truck,inserted a mag,and holstered my pistol (my truck doesn't lock). I did this more to know that it wouldn't get up and walk away than it was to be armed. The 6 of us go in and order our food. While we're waiting, my female friend asks me, "Canyou do that?". I replied, "Do what?" "Carry a gun" she says. The whole time, the woman that was there (presumably the owner since it is kind of a little grab 'n' go place), is just sitting there listening in on the conversation. I explain that yes, carrying a gun openly like I was is perfectly legal. I referred her to RCW 9.41.050 and 9.41.270 and just gave her a brief overview of what the lawssaid. (I actually felt kind of bad because I didn't have the pamphlet I had printed out that morning with me in case this arised.) She wasn't alarmed by my carrying, but was more curious than anything. We all continued talking and joking about random things until our food was ready.

We kind of sat along the window sill (there is no inside seating and the weather outside sucked) and ate while continuing conversation. While we ate many other people came in, ordered food, and left...all without really alerting to my sidearm. One girl that came in just stared at me the whole time, but I just figured that happens sometimes and ignored it.

When we left, the staring girl and her boyfriend now, were watching me as I went to the truck and disarmed. I put the gun back in its case and put it behind the seat as I had done on my way over, got in the truck, and went home.

Side note: I really don't feel as though carrying made me self consious or anything. It did feel a little akward (the physical aspect of it being there), but I'm sure that will pass in time. Also, I was unable to finish my Double Cheeseburger with Bacon and fries, but I did have a strawberry shake that was awesome.

just_a_car

imported post

Sounds like you had a good day of OC. Having those pamphlets with you all the time is great to pass out. You should buy some of the nice glossy ones we have printed.

You made the right decision on the staring girl... just ignore it. If they have a question, they'll ask, otherwise, enjoy yourself.

It's unfortunate that you're forced to handle your firearm after exiting and before entering your vehicle as it appears you currently don't have your CPL, but them's the ropes. One of the many reasons most OC'ers have their CPL.

Cougar125

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
It's unfortunate that you're forced to handle your firearm after exiting and before entering your vehicle as it appears you currently don't have your CPL, but them's the ropes. One of the many reasons most OC'ers have their CPL.
Correct. Don't have the CPL. Moving to California in a few months so don't really see validating the expendature since I won't be back in WA before I have to renew it.

David.Car

imported post

It was good that you were aware enough of your surroundings to notice the people keeping an eye on you, and you should be keeping an eye on them, without obviously staring like the woman of course.

Situational awareness +1

Good carry.

tricityguy

imported post

I'm sorry... hopefully you have no choice in your move to the land of the subjected. May you make it out alive.
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: ROFL!!!!!!!!

Bear 45/70

imported post

Cougar125 wrote:
just_a_car wrote:
Correct. Don't have the CPL. Moving to California in a few months so don't really see validating the expendature since I won't be back in WA before I have to renew it.
I would assume a military reassignment?

G27

imported post

God, I'd spend 60$ just so I wouldn't have to load/unload my pistol ever time. Feel like selling your pistol before you go to California? ;) Just make sure you discard that 10+ round clip!

Cougar125

imported post

G27 wrote:
God, I'd spend 60$ just so I wouldn't have to load/unload my pistol ever time. Feel like selling your pistol before you go to California? ;) Just make sure you discard that 10+ round clip!
Nope. I'll keep it with its 8 round magazines. ;)

Bear 45/70

imported post

G27 wrote:
Mag, it's a magazine. Clips are the metal strip the SKS uses or the casing the M1 Garand ejects when out of ammo.

David.Car

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
G27 wrote:
Mag, it's a magazine. Clips are the metal strip the SKS uses or the casing the M1 Garand ejects when out of ammo.
Mmm... Stripper Clips... :celebrate

Anyways, to Cougar125. Thank you and stay safe.

grishnav

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
G27 wrote:
I spell mag "C-L-I-P" just to mess with people like you. :p

Bear 45/70

imported post

grishnav wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
G27 wrote:
I spell mag "C-L-I-P" just to mess with people like you. :p
So you are getting a hair cut and going to read a magazine, right? Clip is the wrong and oftem missed used term for a magazine and shows one's lack of gun knowledge to use it.