• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone catch Boston Legal last night?

Slayer of Paper

imported post

I've been watching that show since it came on. Love it.

Denny always caries. Heck, this isn't even the first time he shot someone- the first time it was his client, because he thought the guy was guilty, lol.

William Shatner's best character ever, IMO.

VApatriot

imported post

Purely by chance I happened to see that opening seen as I was changing channels last night (it only took a quick flash of a shiny 1911 for my eye to be caught). I then made the mistake of watching the rest of the episode to see how it would play out. Being that the show is set in Boston, the next daythe cops came to arrest him for carry concealed without a permit. At that time they took five handguns off of him, and they later mentioned that they hadtaken three off of him right after he shot the BG. The rest of it was pretty pathetic. The closing argument that got him off on the CC charge was nothing but a rant against Heller and the "Big Five".

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

VApatriot wrote:
The closing argument that got him off on the CC charge was nothing but a rant against Heller and the "Big Five".
I took that as a POSITIVE because the plan was for a conviction so he could also appeal to the SCOTUS like Heller.. but the JURY acquitted him thereby showing that a jury of his piers agreed with his actions.

M@D H@TTER

imported post

If the BG had to pull the hammer back...doesn't that mean that there was no bullet in the chamber?...or are there decockers on some 1911's? My hammer is always back when there's a bullet in the chamber.

Then again, it is just TV.

Prophet

imported post

M@D H@TTER wrote:
If the BG had to pull the hammer back...doesn't that mean that there was no bullet in the chamber?...or are there decockers on some 1911's? My hammer is always back when there's a bullet in the chamber.

Then again, it is just TV.

Condition 2. Dangerous and unnecessary...but an option nonetheless.

If you're unfamiliar with 2 it is when you load and then ride the hammer down while engaging the trigger. Forces you to manually cock back the hammer in order to fire.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Prophet wrote:

If you're unfamiliar with 2 it is when you load and then ride the hammer down while engaging the trigger. Forces you to manually cock back the hammer in order to fire.
Just a clarification for any noobs out there, that is true for 1911s and some other pistols but not for all.

Some handguns such as Sig DA/SA pistols have a decocker and are designed to be carried condition 2 and with those condition 1 is dangerous and unnecessary.

Just didn't want someone to wander by and misunderstand the context of the carry condition. ;)

Prophet

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Prophet wrote:

Just a clarification for any noobs out there, that is true for 1911s and some other pistols but not for all.

Some handguns such as Sig DA/SA pistols have a decocker and are designed to be carried condition 2 and with those condition 1 is dangerous and unnecessary.

Just didn't want someone to wander by and misunderstand the context of the carry condition. ;)
Absolutely right Deep. I should have expressed clearly that I was specifically talking about the 1911 that Madhatter had mentioned.

M@D H@TTER

imported post

Maybe it's just me, (and I'll agree with the qualifier 'Dangerous and unnecessary") but the half cock of my PT1911 seems to make trying to ride the hammer down on a loaded chamber VERY dangerous...as you'd need to get over the half cock to fully seat the hammer...which can easily slip and lead to a ND.

...now I feel like Iwas thinking too hard on thiswith all this discussion of a Boston Legal clip:lol:

Gene Beasley

imported post

You can watch the full episode on the ABC website. Look for the full episode link. The episode is season 5 episode 3, Dances With Wolves.

Shatner is great in this. I'm not a real fan of David E. Kelley, but hey - it's funny!

Slayer of Paper

imported post

Unnecessary, I'll catch it when I get home next week- I have it recorded on my DVR :p

As for the condition 2: it's only because the writer wanted to put cocking the hammer into the script. Since he almost certainly lives in California, and has probably never owned a gun, he wouldn't know how silly that idea is. He should have written in a revolver. While it's not necessary to cock a revolver (unless it's a single action), it still looks a lot more "normal". Plus, it does give the advantage of being more accurate, due to the much easier trigger pull.