Thread: 'tactical' style thigh holster recommendations needed.

Post imported post

I'm going home (Michigan) for Christmas and don't have a CPL.

Christmas is in winter.

My coat comes to my waist.

Please advise,
    -jp

PS: Purchasing a Glock 21/23/24 (undecided) upon my return.

Post imported post

sneak wrote:
    I'm going home (Michigan) for Christmas and don't have a CPL.

Christmas is in winter.

My coat comes to my waist.

Please advise,
    -jp

PS: Purchasing a Glock 21/23/24 (undecided) upon my return.
    It's not cheap, but I've been pretty happy with my Serpa drop-leg rig.

Post imported post

Cost isn't too much of a concern, but I'm not necessarily sold on retention. I do like the style and build of the SERPAs, otherwise, though.

-jp

Post imported post

Have you considered a shoulder rig? Can be worn on the outside of a coat, and than removed and worn over your shirt once you get inside and take your coat off...

Also probably won't get as many "tacticool" or "mall ninja" comments...

Or as I am looking into, there are jackets that have a small slit on the side where your holster will be that allows your firearm to stick out and not be covered.

The picture below is of the "Aggressor Parka" by 5.11 Tactical. It has zippers on the sides that you can open just enough for your holster to hang out besides having tons of other usefull things.

Post imported post

Bianchi UM-84 holster, Bianchi drop extension panel (whatever they call it) and the Bianchi thumb break strap. Remove the holster flap... insert the strap. The drop panel attaches to the rear of the holster and includes E-buckle tie down strap. All are black Mil-specnylon.

Post imported post

FogRider wrote:
    It's not cheap, but I've been pretty happy with my Serpa drop-leg rig.
    +1 I have a drop leg Serpa for my Glock 21 and love it. It is comfortable and best of all the gun & holster stay put.

State Researcher

Post imported post

I just recently picked up a UBL drop platform for my Safariland holster. It is designed to be worn on a duty belt, and drops the weapon 1.5" down from a normal belt position. It is low enough that a coat or untucked shirt does not cover it. It's basically right where your hand is if you hang your arm at your side, which is almost identical to the position thata thigh rig provides. This is the best way I've found to carry in a jacket or coat, and it also works well for just wearing an untucked t-shirt and not having it bunched up over my gun.

If you're set on a thigh rig, I'd recommend looking at the Safariland options. They have quite a few different retention methods, all of which are tried and true. If you have questions about a specific model, let me know.

Post imported post

DreQo wrote:
    I just recently picked up a UBL drop platform for my Safariland holster. It is designed to be worn on a duty belt, and drops the weapon 1.5" down from a normal belt position. It is low enough that a coat or untucked shirt does not cover it. It's basically right where your hand is if you hang your arm at your side, which is almost identical to the position thata thigh rig provides. This is the best way I've found to carry in a jacket or coat, and it also works well for just wearing an untucked t-shirt and not having it bunched up over my gun.

If you're set on a thigh rig, I'd recommend looking at the Safariland options. They have quite a few different retention methods, all of which are tried and true. If you have questions about a specific model, let me know.
    Great choice and great rig!

If SERPA made a drop duty belt combo, I'd look into that too if I were you.
    Bitka Sve Rešava!
    B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994