• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CPL Card

PolskiG

imported post

OK so I know my CPL says that I have to be in possession of my card at all times while concealing but can't an officer run a check through my WA drivers license to see if I had one anyway? Someone told me this once, I think it was someone from Issaquah PD.

compmanio365

imported post

If you are concealing, you MUST have your card. If you are caught concealing your pistol or carrying in a car without it, I believe it is a misdemeanor charge. Not sure if it is grounds for revocation of your permit or not, or if it is grounds for seizure of your pistol. I always carry mine, that way I can decide if I want to OC or CC on the fly without having to go home or to the car and get it. If I'm OCing and an officer wants to see my CPL, he can deal with me saying no.

Triple Tap

imported post

PolskiG wrote:
OK so I know my CPL says that I have to be in possession of my card at all times while concealing but can't an officer run a check through my WA drivers license to see if I had one anyway? Someone told me this once, I think it was someone from Issaquah PD.
To answer your question. Yes, LEO can in fact pull up and see if you have a CPL. Also can see any registered guns you own, or have owned in the past.

Hammer

imported post

Triple Tap wrote:
PolskiG wrote:
To answer your question. Yes, LEO can in fact pull up and see if you have a CPL. Also can see any registered guns you own, or have owned in the past.
Interesting- what would be defined as a "Registered" gun?
And, they'll have a list of whatever I owned in this category in the past?
That will be a screen-full.....

G27

imported post

I think it is just pulls up what what you fill out when you buy a gun, which is a bill of transfer. So it could possibly be all the guns you have ever bought in the state of Washington. They don't have mandatory registration, just when you buy one.

I could be very wrong on that, but I doubt they discard this information.

Hammer

imported post

I had been under the understanding that transfer records were not to be retained permanently. Also that they were not to be "shared" amongst LE agencies, but filed with ATF.
And we might choose a better term than "registration" tho I am beginning to understand the import of the comment, even if I would choose different terms.

amlevin

imported post

Triple Tap wrote:
PolskiG wrote:

Sorry, Washington State is not a "Registration State". He may see what I bought due to the notification of a pistol purchase that goes to the local PD but that is not entered into the State Database. Same for 4473's which remain at the Gun Shop where you purchased the gun.

Unlike states such as NY, and CA, registration of Firearms is not State Law.

Morris

North of Seattlle, South of Canada, Washington, US
imported post

Call it what you want but any handgun you purchase is registered with the state. That blue form you filled out at your local FFLs when you purchased your handgun registers your gun in the state. I can run your name and it will usually identify what guns you have purchased through a dealer or under voluntary handgun transfer registration between private parties. In my case, the case is extensive and lists many handguns I have since sold. But it does go back to my first in state FFL handgun purchase, made in 1995.

More importantly, I can run the serial number of any firearm and if it is in the system, I can see who is the owner (provided it has not been privately transferred). That list is available to share with any lawful LE agency, F Troop included.

That is the system in this state right now and that's the facts. Don't like it? Tell your legislators or buy privately.

Hammer

imported post

Help me just one more tad- you seem to imply that you are LE.
Would you confirm? It tells me I am getting first hand information.

Morris wrote:
Call it what you want but any handgun you purchase is registered with the state. That blue form you filled out at your local FFLs when you purchased your handgun registers your gun in the state. I can run your name and it will usually identify what guns you have purchased through a dealer or under voluntary handgun transfer registration between private parties. In my case, the case is extensive and lists many handguns I have since sold. But it does go back to my first in state FFL handgun purchase, made in 1995.

More importantly, I can run the serial number of any firearm and if it is in the system, I can see who is the owner (provided it has not been privately transferred). That list is available to share with any lawful LE agency, F Troop included.

That is the system in this state right now and that's the facts. Don't like it? Tell your legislators or buy privately.

carhas0

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
If you are concealing, you MUST have your card. If you are caught concealing your pistol or carrying in a car without it, I believe it is a misdemeanor charge. Not sure if it is grounds for revocation of your permit or not, or if it is grounds for seizure of your pistol. I always carry mine, that way I can decide if I want to OC or CC on the fly without having to go home or to the car and get it. If I'm OCing and an officer wants to see my CPL, he can deal with me saying no.
For a permit holder, being caught concealing without it is a civil infraction, like a traffic ticket.

9.41.050:
...(b) Every licensee shall have his or her concealed pistol license in his or her immediate possession at all times that he or she is required by this section to have a concealed pistol license and shall display the same upon demand to any police officer or to any other person when and if required by law to do so. Any violation of this subsection (1)(b) shall be a class 1 civil infraction under chapter 7.80 RCW and shall be punished accordingly pursuant to chapter 7.80 RCW and the infraction rules for courts of limited jurisdiction.

For a non-licensee, it is a misdemeanor (see the same RCW, 9.41.050).

carhas0

imported post

Hammer wrote:
Help me just one more tad- you seem to imply that you are LE.
Would you confirm? It tells me I am getting first hand information.

Morris wrote:
Morris has indicated in the past that he is a LEO.

Bear 45/70

imported post

Morris wrote:

And you wonder why we don't trust government and their flunkies. It is none of anybody's business what gunsI own. Probably why I don't buy thru gun shops anymore.

Shy_Panda

imported post

Morris wrote:
Yes, cop, po-po, bacon bits, donut muncher - take your pick. Formerly a department firearms instructor, department gun nut.

Also a gun-owner.

Rarely post here anymore but felt it would be appropriate to get correct information to folks.
Sort of supprised that you still have your job, they must not know that you post on here. I know a couple of guys that have been denied LE jobs because they were members of this forum. Freedom of association my fourth point of contact.

Bear 45/70

imported post

Shy_Panda wrote:
Morris wrote:
Yes, cop, po-po, bacon bits, donut muncher - take your pick. Formerly a department firearms instructor, department gun nut.

Also a gun-owner.

Rarely post here anymore but felt it would be appropriate to get correct information to folks.
Sort of supprised that you still have your job, they must not know that you post on here. I know a couple of guys that have been denied LE jobs because they were members of this forum. Freedom of association my fourth point of contact.
I doubt very much that would stand up for a reason to deny a job as a LEO if they take it to the State Employment people. That would be denying someone their Constitutional rights. Sounds more like they did not qualify for other reasons that embarrassed them, so claimed it was because of membership on this forum. I will bet major money no employment officer would ever write "Denied a job due to membership in an orgnization that advocates legal activity."

Morris

North of Seattlle, South of Canada, Washington, US
imported post

I don't post foolishness.

Cops don't get denied jobs for associating here. They get denied because they engage in posting asshattery which makes them look foolish.

I'm married so I've filled the foolish comment category to overflowing.

On that note, exit stage right.

Kildars

imported post

Exactly, employers turn down people for their myspaces all the time. You need to be mature and respectful, just because this is an internet forum doesn't mean that people can't find it when you're applying (especially for an LEO job).

Bear 45/70

imported post

Morris wrote:
I don't post foolishness.

Cops don't get denied jobs for associating here. They get denied because they engage in posting asshattery which makes them look foolish.

I'm married so I've filled the foolish comment category to overflowing.

On that note, exit stage right.
I do have to admit that Morris is one of the good guys. But then he is married and has a real boss to keep him in line like some of us.

Triple Tap

imported post

Kildars wrote:
Exactly, employers turn down people for their myspaces all the time. You need to be mature and respectful, just because this is an internet forum doesn't mean that people can't find it when you're applying (especially for an LEO job).
If I was to apply for a LEO today how would they even know who I was on this board. Nothing requires me to give out information to who I am.

They would have to ask if I was a member of any group....oh jeeze, that would be a list if it means just signing up to post on a forum.