• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CPL Card

heresolong

imported post

Morris wrote:
Call it what you want but any handgun you purchase is registered with the state. That blue form you filled out at your local FFLs when you purchased your handgun registers your gun in the state. I can run your name and it will usually identify what guns you have purchased through a dealer or under voluntary handgun transfer registration between private parties. In my case, the case is extensive and lists many handguns I have since sold. But it does go back to my first in state FFL handgun purchase, made in 1995.
Buy a gun, after a couple months run an ad in the local paper offering the gun for sale. When anyone calls its already sold. If they ever come after my guns I sold them all. I no longer own guns.:)

adamsesq

imported post

heresolong wrote:
Buy a gun, after a couple months run an ad in the local paper offering the gun for sale. When anyone calls its already sold. If they ever come after my guns I sold them all. I no longer own guns.:)

I might suggest a different course of action that would be far more helpful to you.

You might be innocent of whatever they were originally asking you about, but if you reply to a police officer's question like you suggest above you have comitted a crime that just might be a felony. When they point o your post above in the trial it will probably not help...

I suggest the tried and true: "Respectfully no officer, you may not search my car or home. Am I free to go now? If not, I would like to speak with my lawyer before answering any more questions."

The ad, however, is an interesting idea! ;)

-adamsesq

kparker

imported post

I can see the argument for wanting to tell the government you no longer have a particular firearm, but why on earth would you offer to tell anybody (outside of a small circle of friends) that you had acquired another one?

just_a_car

imported post

PolskiG wrote:
I use the voluntarypistol bill of sale form (printed off the WADOL site)when selling or buying my gun privately. Am I a tool for doing that???
If you believe participating in voluntary gun registration makes you a "tool", then yes.

thebastidge

2519 E Fourth Plain Blvd, Vancouver Washington, US
imported post

I sold a car once and had it turn up in a wreck a couple years later, never having been properly removed from my ownership through DOL, because I didn't fill and send in the paperwork releasing my interest. I do not fail to do so any more.

I (fortunately) had a copy of the bill of sale, so I wasn't liable for the damages. If I were to sell a gunI had purchased through a dealer, I would almost certainly use the form to register that it no longer belonged to me. If I were to sell or give a gunaway that had never been formally attached to my name, I might not. I certainly would not sell or give a gun to someone I suspected could not legally posess it or that I thought might have plans to commit a crime with it in the first place.

David.Car

imported post

I won't have anyone fill out the form, but I will always write up a bill of sale with both parties signatures.

My father wouldn't do a private sale without having a photocopy of the recipients I.D. or all the information from their ID written on the bill of sale, he never ran checks or paperwork, but had that copy filed away in case anything ever came back.

Trigger Dr

imported post

Very simple to protect yourself. OPTIONS:

1. Don't sell a gun.

2. Fill out the proper forms, require a copy of picture ID, place in an envelope and mail to yourself registered mail. Place in a safe deposit box or gun safe without opening the letter.

3. DO NOT notify thye DOL.

trevorthebusdriver

imported post

Not to add to some of your paranoias, but you never know who is reading this or why or if they know who you are...

It got back tomy boss that I had posted something about being in the swat training..:uhoh:

I would love to know how that happened. :what:

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

trevorthebusdriver wrote:
Not to add to some of your paranoias, but you never know who is reading this or why or if they know who you are...

It got back tomy boss that I had posted something about being in the swat training..:uhoh:

I would love to know how that happened. :what:
Easy. Some cop involved in the training read your post, decided SWAT training was something they didn't like being discussed, and found out who your boss was. Simple institutional paranoia at it's finest.

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

For clarification, it is only handguns bought from a dealer that will show up. I've found the RCW on why DOL has the info, but I've yet to find the what gives the authority for it to be available to Police, in fact the RCW that creates the database seems to infer that it should not be readily available.

As far as selling, I do not register a FTF sale with the state. I do keep records of what I sold and to who, but I generally don't do a bill of sale unless the buyer wants to. I only sell to someone with a CPL and I do look at it and their DL.

A gun I sold may be used at some point, but it takes a lot more to make a case than being the owner of the gun. They still need the other pieces such as placing you at the crime, motive, physical evidence, etc. I think some folks worry too much about some things. I doubt any procsecutor would even file based solely on being recorded as having purchased the gun.

For more on the "How" of the State DOL handgun database, here is a post I made in another thread ( http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55/14133-1.html )

The firearms records don't come up with a regular DOL/Warrants check. the gun check has to be run seperately, but yes, they can get a list of handguns purchased from a dealer in WA state. There are no records for anything you bought out of state (while a resident of course), bought in a private transaction, or long guns.

I had posted the following in theother thread, no one commented so I don't know if it was seen or not...

OK, bear with me I am not a lawyer, but I think I have figured it out...

To buy a handgun from an FFL in WA, you have to fill out two different forms. The first one is the 4473 (Federal form). This is the form that includesa specific "Statement" from the purchaser required underthe U.S.C. which says:

The statement referred to in paragraph (1)(A)(i)(I) shall contain only -

(A) the name, address, and date of birth appearing on a valid identification document (as defined in section 1028(d)(1) (!4)) of the transferee containing a photograph of the transferee and a description of the identification used;

(B) a statement that the transferee -

(i) is not under indictment for, and has not been convicted in any court of, a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding 1 year, and has not been convicted in any court of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence;

(ii) is not a fugitive from justice;

(iii) is not an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance (as defined in section 102 of the Controlled Substances Act);

(iv) has not been adjudicated as a mental defective or been committed to a mental institution;

(v) is not an alien who -

(I) is illegally or unlawfully in the United States; or

(II) subject to subsection (y)(2), has been admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa (as that term is defined in section 101(a)(26) of the Immigration and

Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1101(a)(26)));

(vi) has not been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions; and

(vii) is not a person who, having been a citizen of the United States, has renounced such citizenship;

(C) the date the statement is made; and

(D) notice that the transferee intends to obtain a handgun from

the transferor.

This "statement" is beingspecifically referred to in the U.S.C. and it is whatthe requirements relate to. The FFL keeps the 4473in accordance with ATF rules.

I may be wrong here, but I don't believe the 4473 goes to the PD. The reason I am not sure is because the U.S.C. says the dealer must "...provide notice of the contents of the statement" to the local PD, but it also requires that the dealer "...transmit a copy of the statement" to the PD. Both requirements must be done within 1 day of receiving the application.

The second form is the WA State "Application to Transfer Pistol". This form is in triplicate andRCW 9.41.090 says the original goesto the local PD and charges the PD with additional checks such as Health Department mental records, outstanding misdemeanor warrants, etc. It does not include all of the statements on the 4473 (basically all the "Yes/No" questions). Instead, it has you certify a number of things related to RCW’s regarding handgun ownership and you give your permission to check related mental health records and such. The dealer certifies that he followed all of the federal rules. This state form may somehow fulfill the notification to PDrequirements of the U.S.C. but I honestly don't know about that.

RCW 9.41.090 states after the checks are complete "...The chief of police of the municipality or the sheriff of the county shall retain or destroy applications to purchase a pistol in accordance with the requirements of 18 U.S.C. Sec. 922."

If you delve into the U.S.C. (I don't recommend it, it made my head hurt) you'll find that when it talks about destroying records, it says any record transmitted to the local PD will be destroyed, and that "...the information contained in the statement shall not be used for any purpose other than to carry out this subsection."

I read this to mean the requirements and restrictions are only onthe PD that received the information and is not a blanket requirement that all copies and records be destroyed. Otherwise, it would seem to contradict retention requirements on the FFL for the 4473. Even if that is not the case, the state form does not include the federally required “statement” information, so I don’t think the requirement would apply.

The state RCW requirement to the PDthat reiteratesthe PD will handle the records they receive in accordance with U.S.C., would likewise relate only to the records sent to the PD. Nothing in the U.S.C. or the state laws requires ALL records to be destroyed, just those sent to the PD for the necessary checks.

Now look at RCW 9.41.110 (9)(b) “One copy shall within six hours be sent by certified mail to the chief of police of the municipality or the sheriff of the county of which the purchaser is a resident; the duplicate the dealer shall within seven days send to the director of licensing; the triplicate the dealer shall retain for six years.”

State law directs the dealer to give the info to DOL. This doesn’t violate the requirement on the PD to not use or disclose the info for other purposes. And there is nothing in theU.S.C. that says States can't keep track of purchase info,U.S.C only restricts the information provided in the required "statement" from the purchaseron the 4473. The state form is seperate and does not include that information. So I don't see where theU.S.C. would restrict DOL from collecting and keeping the transfer records.

Now look at RCW 9.41.129 (Recordkeeping requirements) which says The department of licensing may keep copies or records of applications for concealed pistol licenses provided for in RCW
9.41.070, copies or records of applications for alien firearm licenses, copies or records of applications to purchase pistols provided for in RCW 9.41.090, and copies or records of pistol transfers provided for in RCW 9.41.110. The copies and records shall not be disclosed except as provided in RCW 42.56.240(4).”

This is where DOL is charged with maintainingthe records.

***BUT...

Finding these “answers”, seems to have led to a new question that I can’t answer. RCW 9.41.129 says the records "...shall not be disclosed except as provided in RCW
42.56.240(4)."

RCW 42.56.240(4) specifically says:

"(4) License applications under RCW
9.41.070; copies of license applications or information on the applications may be released to law enforcement or corrections agencies;”

It seems pretty clear that disclosure is allowed only in regards to Concealed Pistol License applications.RCW 9.41.070 only deals with CPL's and it has nothing to do with copies or records of applications to purchase pistols” or copies or records of pistol transfers”.

So it would appear at this point that an individualshandgun purchase informationshould not be available to LEOs since the information is not connected to the CPL process, and the CPL info is the only exception provided for disclosure under RCW 42.56.240(4).

This may warrant further study, but I have reached a dead end and can’t find anything else related.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

FYI, when I was unlawfully detained by PCSO, they ran my sn, which still came back to the previous owner (who apparently filed out the dol form). It was purchased from an FFL.

Bear 45/70

imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
FYI, when I was unlawfully detained by PCSO, they ran my sn, which still came back to the previous owner (who apparently filed out the dol form). It was purchased from an FFL.
You think maybe another sure fire government crime fighting program that doesn't work would be the diagnosis?:banghead:

kparker

imported post

trevor,

If you really want to post yet keep your identity unknown, you have to think about what identifiable details you are including in your posts. As it is, just by the way fact that you include your city, we know the range of possible transit agencies you work for.

It's one thing for someone to claim to be a police officer from generic WA and to have been participated in SWAT training; it's entirely different when you claim to work in a non-LEO occupation, identify the exact municipality you live and/or work in, and have participated in SWAT training.

trevorthebusdriver

imported post

True, I do give a lot of info in my profile and posts. I was not really worried about my identity, just amused to find out that my work found out about it. I guess I could change my username, but then how would all you guys know it's still me? :)

PolskiG

imported post

kparker wrote:
I can see the argument for wanting to tell the government you no longer have a particular firearm, but why on earth would you offer to tell anybody (outside of a small circle of friends) that you had acquired another one?
no meant only when I sell one, i love getting unregistered ones

tricityguy

imported post

I'm really a promiscuous 14-yeal-old girl willing to cross state lines for immoral purposes...
Ah, FBI agent, then. Welcome to the forum. :cool:

You know what they say about the Internet: A place where men are men, women are men and little girls are undercover cops.