• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kicked out of Kroger in Richmond, threatened by LEO with arrest.

taurusfan

imported post

Something about mercutio545 concerned the policeman I think it may have been his tender age of 21. Does he look like a child? I have no idea but I do know all of the policeman who work this Kroger.

Was the cop a tall, "handsome" guy, with black hair?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

glockfan wrote:
Something about mercutio545 concerned the policeman I think it may have been his tender age of 21. Does he look like a child? I have no idea but I do know all of the policeman who work this Kroger.

Was the cop a tall, "handsome" guy, with black hair?
If he was a city cop, he wasn't handsome....unless it was one of the feMALE cops. They look like handsome young men!:lol:

LEO 229

imported post

Citizen wrote:
If there was a tone of command in his voice where you write that he asked for the ID, I might suggest also finding out who he is and send a formal complaint against an extra-legal ID demand.

If there was any tone of authority in his voice, I would think it makes also foran attemptedTerry Stop with that bit about checking to make sure you are allowed to carry a gun. Psuedo-reasonable articulable suspicion, I'm thinking.

Forum,

This is the classic mentality of Citizen with his Anti attitude.

He would actually have you file a complain on the officer forhis tone ofvoice. The officer "asked" for ID and there is nothing wrong in asking.

If his tone was one of authority... while still asking mind you.... somehow THIS is a violation?

I can see it now..

"Yes, I want to file a complaint. I did not like how the asked me for my ID and I think he was trying to Terry stop me. Well, he seemed to speak with some level of authority and I did not like it! No.. I did not show it to himmy ID and he allowed me to leave."

So to the Antis... the police are in violation if:

• They ask for ID
  • They speak with authority
  • They change their tone of voice
  • They attempta Terry stop
UNREAL!!!! :lol:

LEO 229

imported post

DrMark wrote:
mercutio545 wrote:
...I asked him for his name. He would not give it to me.
Huge red flag, IMO. I've never known a police officer to refuse to identify himself.

Once outside the store, I probably would have called 911, and told them someone claiming to be an officer told you to leave the store, but that they refused to identify themselves.
I agree that is is unusual and the officer should haveprovided his name.

Calling 9-1-1 is not the right thing to do.

This is NOT an emergency and you are trying up the line while other emergency calls are being placed on hold. Your calling to complain is preventing someone from getting an ambulance to their house for a child that has something stuck in their throat.

Precious minutes are getting lost while you complain. :uhoh:

LEO 229

imported post

Thundar wrote:
I would make a huge complaint to Kroger.

This police officer:

1) Was rude - No excuse for this sort of behavior. He needs to learn that while the city of Richmond may tolerate rude public employees, retail employees will not.

2) Threatened misdemeanor arrest when State code calls for a citation for misdemeanors.

3) Police Officer tried to illegally detain you via unwarranted seizure of your drivers license.

4) Ejected you from the store and did not let you return - leave the gun in the car and then come back and finish shopping - (not that you would or should, but your letter does not have to address this.)

5) Police officer immediate ejection did not permit you to come to an amicable solution with the store management.

6 ) Police officer refused to give his name when requested.

Come on!!!! :lol:

1. I did not read anything to show he was "rude."

2. I can tell you I will lock you up if I catch you again... it is not a threat.. It is a promise. To tell someone you will arrest them... can happen in two ways... summons or physical. He did not identify either so you can assume the guy will be gettinga ticket as required by state code.

3. How was he being detained? The cop spoke to him and never stopped him from leaving. There is no seizure if you provide an OL when asked.

4. He can probably ban you from the property as well so why let you back in when you confront him andsay what the OP said. The OP was OK up to a point when he tried to correct the cop.

Had he played it differently.. he could have stored his gun and came back in. I would have done the same thing as the cop and kicked him out for what he said. ;) Someone please QFT this so citizen does not have to. :lol:

5. The officer is an employee of the store and was likely permitted to kick you out immediately. If you have a problem... Call or write the store. Nothing says you get to stay LONGER because you want to complain to the store.

6. Finally... something that is valid!!! :lol: The officer should have given his name. I understand why he did not.. in this situation... but when asked... you are required to do so.

EDIT: Remove sign reference done in error

LEO 229

imported post

mercutio545 wrote:
Snipped.....
EDIT:

Oh, and for all the "why didn't you just show him your ID?" people (I know you're out there ;)), this isn't Nazi Germany. The polizei can't just stop you and demand to see your papers when you're not doing anything wrong. If I were a criminal, I wouldn't be walking around Kroger with a gun on my hip, knowing that there is a police officer in the vicinity. Since I didn't meet the criteria for a Terry stop, there were no grounds for me to provide ID, correct?

No... It was not a Terry stop in any way, shape, or form. You were stopped for the store policybanning you from being inside the store armed.

Regardless...You were stopped by an employee of a private business that does not allow guns. You were then told to leave. This would have happened by the cop or any other employee willing to step up and confront you.

He asked for your ID so he could know who you were in case you decided to show up again but get away before he can catch you.

Stores often take down your name when they ban you.

It is sad to hear this happened to you... I do not agree with gun bans in stores. We all know this is not going to stop crime.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Thundar wrote:
Sounded rude to me...but there is no law against rude, thank God!

2. I can tell you I will lock you up if I catch you again... it is not a threat.. It is a promise. To tell someone you will arrest them... can happen in two ways... summons or physical. He did not identify either so you can assume the guy will be gettinga ticket as required by state code.

3. How was he being detained? The cop spoke to him and never stopped him from leaving. There is no seizure if you provide an OL when asked.

4. He can probably ban you from the property as well so why let you back in when you confront him andsay what the OP said. The OP was OK up to a point when he tried to correct the cop. He WAS trespassing as the sign warned no weapons.

WAS there a sign?

Had he played it differently.. he could have stored his gun and came back in. I would have done the same thing as the cop and kicked him out for what he said.

What did he say to be kicked out for?

5. The officer is an employee of the store and was likely permitted to kick you out immediately. If you have a problem... Call or write the store. Nothing says you get to stay LONGER because you want to complain to the store.

As you have pointed out before, the officer is still apolice officer with full arrest authority and allowed to wear the uniform. The next morning he will go out in public wearing the same uniform and with the same attitude! I think that merits a complaint to the PD.

6. Finally... something that is valid!!! :lol: The officer should have given his name. I understand why he did not.. in this situation... but when asked... you are required to do so.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
deepdiver wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
SNIP
4. He WAS trespassing as the sign warned no weapons.
From the OP:
Me: "No, I had no idea. There were no signs on the front of the store, and nobody has asked me to leave."
:question::question::question:
Cops says sign is posted... OP says he did not see one.

None of us know. I willfigure a sign exists and was overlooked.

I would be interested in seeing the sign if it did exist.

If I was the OP.. I would have asked to see the sign and have it pointed out. It does not seem that he cared to have that proven to him and his fight was he was not trespassing.
Ok, I'm missing it then. Would you please quote where the OP said the cop says a sign is posted? *didn't sleep well last night so can't claim mental alacrity this morning*

LEO 229

imported post

peter nap wrote:
Sounded rude to me...but there is no law against rude, thank God!

4. He can probably ban you from the property as well so why let you back in when you confront him andsay what the OP said. The OP was OK up to a point when he tried to correct the cop. He WAS trespassing as the sign warned no weapons.

WAS there a sign?

Had he played it differently.. he could have stored his gun and came back in. I would have done the same thing as the cop and kicked him out for what he said.

What did he say to be kicked out for?

As you have pointed out before, the officer is still apolice officer with full arrest authority and allowed to wear the uniform. The next morning he will go out in public wearing the same uniform and with the same attitude! I think that merits a complaint to the PD.

Well, OP sounded rude to me too... :p

OP was kicked out for having a weapon in a store where it is alleged to be prohibited by policy. PLUS... he was rude. :D Depending on who you talk to.

Most people.... as what cops are.... are not rude with out some provocation. This forum should be evident. It does not mean that tomorrow... they are going to be rude to other people.

Shoot.... I get rude with people here!!! But I do not carry that to work.

Citizen may QFT as I may decide to edit that last line out as it may be used against me in the future!! :celebrate

LEO 229

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Ok, I'm missing it then. Would you please quote where the OP said the cop says a sign is posted? *didn't sleep well last night so can't claim mental alacrity this morning*
My error... Policy only.. :lol:

In reading what both sides said.. I failed to distinguish and correctly identify.

I just got up so I am not reading properly. As if I can do it while awake.

mercutio545

imported post

Was he in uniform. They have a name badge on!
He was indeed in uniform. He also appeared to be on a short fuse when I was talking to him, so I was making a beeline out of there (didn't really feel like ending up in cuffs on that particular evening), and didn't want to stop and turn around. Thus why I asked him for his name.

Something about mercutio545 concerned the policeman I think it may have been his tender age of 21. Does he look like a child? I have no idea but I do know all of the policeman who work this Kroger. Was the cop a tall, "handsome" guy, with black hair?
How did you know I was 21? Did I post my age on another thread or something? If so, good memory. I am indeed 21, and I think I handled the situation rather well. I've learned a lot in the 2-3 years I've been using my right to carry.

The officer was caucasian, looked to be in his early 40's, somewhat short, and looked like he was balding.

I did not read anything to show he was "rude."
Well he certainly wasn't being professional or respectful, threatening with that arrest and all, and talking down to me.

Just to confirm, there was no signage anywhere. If there was a sign, I wouldn't have carried on the property, with me being a good law-abiding citizen and all.

Oh, and LEO 229, I didn't know that refusing to show ID and asking simple questions was "rude". I guess I'm rude then :?.

curtiswr

imported post

I open carry in Carytown Kroger, the Lombardy/Bowe Kroger, the Willow Lawn Kroger, the Short Pump Kroger... just about any Kroger in the area if it's the one near me when I realize I need something.

Never had one problem at any of them and I, very frequently, go to the one in Carytown when there is an officer posted at the front.