• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Drew today. I hope that's my last time ever.

Rey

imported post

Coming home from work today. Leesburg Pike, right there in McLean, VA.I was driving like an idiot, talking on my cell phone with my fiance. Very long day.I cut off a guy and I shouldn't have. But anyway...

Stop light. He jumps out of his car, right behind me. I'm on the phone with her and in my rearview I see his door fly open and a flash of his shirt as he runs to my car.He's yelling, "ok mother@#$%er, what's up now!" I dropped my phone, drew my Kimber and held it against the steering wheel, not pointing at him,and started yelling at him to get away from me. He stopped and started backing up yelling, "what the f-?? bring that piece out here motherf-er! bring it out here!"

Well, no. I started driving away.

He followed me. I called the cops. Apparently he did too. They all came. Fairfax's finest. Disarmed me, after asking politely yet brusquely. According to them, no reasonable person would agree that I was in fear for my life. What I did was a classic by-the-book case of brandishing, etc. etc.

They brought out the big book. I felt like puking.

The responding officers were very polite. Not condescending or patronizing at all, which I was very greatful for. Once I gave my story they huddled for a very very very long 55 minutes. In the end, the man in the yellow shirt was facing just as serious a charge and both of us just wanted to go home.So it was a wash, no charges pressed.Turns out HE had a concealed carry permit as well. There's so much I could say about that...but later.

Gents, I know what brandishing is. I feel like such an ass because I know better than that. But, damn it was so reactionary! Never before has the awesome responsibility of carrying a firearm felt so heavy and made so real. They returned my firearm to me, putting it in my backseat.

I don't think this will keep me from carrying. But I will never look at it the same. I could've lost my future career, my freedom, and so much more in the blink of an eye. I sincerely hope and pray I will never draw again. You can flame me all you want. No more than I've flamed myself today. And those that know me, know better.

I hope this will help others who may be eager for the day they clear leather to think again. And for all of us who carry, be very careful. Threat does not equal draw, and your hand may not always remember. Stay safe guys.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

BUBB4H wrote:
Coming home from work today. Leesburg Pike, right there in McLean, VA.I was driving like an idiot, talking on my cell phone with my fiance. Very long day.I cut off a guy and I shouldn't have. But anyway...

Stop light. He jumps out of his car, right behind me. I'm on the phone with her and in my rearview I see his door fly open and a flash of his shirt as he runs to my car.He's yelling, "ok mother@#$%er, what's up now!" I dropped my phone, drew my Kimber and held it against the steering wheel, not pointing at him,and started yelling at him to get away from me. He stopped and started backing up yelling, "what the f-?? bring that piece out here motherf-er! bring it out here!"

Well, no. I started driving away.

He followed me. I called the cops. Apparently he did too. They all came. Fairfax's finest. Disarmed me, after asking politely yet brusquely. According to them, no reasonable person would agree that I was in fear for my life. What I did was a classic by-the-book case of brandishing, etc. etc.

They brought out the big book. I felt like puking.

The responding officers were very polite. Not condescending or patronizing at all, which I was very greatful for. Once I gave my story they huddled for a very very very long 55 minutes. In the end, the man in the yellow shirt was facing just as serious a charge and both of us just wanted to go home.So it was a wash, no charges pressed.Turns out HE had a concealed carry permit as well. There's so much I could say about that...but later.

Gents, I know what brandishing is. I feel like such an ass because I know better than that. But, damn it was so reactionary! Never before has the awesome responsibility of carrying a firearm felt so heavy and made so real. They returned my firearm to me, putting it in my backseat.

I don't think this will keep me from carrying. But I will never look at it the same. I could've lost my future career, my freedom, and so much more in the blink of an eye. I sincerely hope and pray I will never draw again. You can flame me all you want. No more than I've flamed myself today. And those that know me, know better.

I hope this will help others who may be eager for the day they clear leather to think again. And for all of us who carry, be very careful. Threat does not equal draw, and your hand may not always remember. Stay safe guys.

You panicked.

Happens.

Sounds like you caught a break from the po-po, though.

Did the other driver have a gun? Or just a CCP? If he had a gun, where was it?

Flyer22

imported post

The other person bears at least most of the blame for starting the scene. While posession of a CC permit is not a sign of sainthood, anybody who has a permit should have thought aboutsituations like that and should have a strong resolve to exercise self-control.

What was the traffic situation like while you were at the stoplight? The thought has occured to me more than oncethat in such a situation like you experienced, I would likely drive through the red light (traffic permitting, of course) as the most effective means of ending the confrontation.

It's quitepossible that you were justified in drawing. However, there are times when leaving the scene by any reasonable means possible might be better than drawing.

Another element of this is the way in which you held it. It's clear that he could see your gun. Now of course some vehicles are better suited for this than others, but I think--I don't want to try tosay for sure whatI would have done--but I think that if I drew, I probably would have either held it on my lap or else possibly by the door, but down where it wouldn't be visible. That way I could bring it into firing position, if that were necessary,quicker and easier than if it were holstered, but without unduly alarming anybody.

madcapmag

imported post

Definitely a good reminder to everyone to keep playing those "What if" games. Glad it turned out ok for you! As my CCW instructor kept saying "Be the first to call the cops", so in any situation, unless its a definite life or death situation, call the cops first. Remember, the first caller is the "victim"! :D

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Glad you are OK, at least you can learn from this with no legal consequences. IANAL but I'm not sure you were in the wrong despite what the LEO said. Just goes to show the dangers of being in condition white.

G

Gentleman Ranker

imported post

Thanks for posting this. I happen to know that it is not an easy thing to do.

IANAL either, but I suspect there's a very good chance that the FCPD (a relatively professional lot in my experience) weren't just blowing smoke about the brandishing charge. I have been a juror, and though I'd want to know more, it doesn't sound entirely unreasonable from that perspective.

The following comments are not directed at the OP personally, but are intended as general observations on this kind of situation.

Massad Ayoob has written that carrying a firearm means that one has to take more crap from people, not less. His argument is that using or threatening deadly force (which a firearm always is) without a felonious threat to one's own* life or limb puts you in the wrong, at least in the sense that it escalates the conflict without need. This is worth remembering. It might also be worthwhile to review your jurisdiction's laws on what is called "mutual combat" (the usual legal term).

By my own upbringing, the thing to do when one has done something wrong is to apologize and make it right. This can sting, as I myself well know, but it's still the Right Thing. Apologizing does not make one some kind of p0nk b1tch if it is done properly. If, as here, the person who is owed the apology seems to be a bit out of control, one may have to deescalate carefully, but that doesn't change what the Right Thing is. (It might work to tell some kind of white (or maybe grey) lie if that will calm things down ("Sorry man, my wife/mom/gf is in the hospital, and my head's not where it should be ...") Whatever calms things down.

I would also be wary of apologizing if there's actual property damage or injury, such as at an accident. Then it becomes legally admitting fault, and needs to be done, if at all, only after calm deliberation.

Finally, it may be worth remembering some of our side's arguments in the Great American Gun Debate. Is an armed society a polite society, or was that just some throw-away line in a science fiction novel**? We argue that expanded carry, whether open or concealed, won't result in some Brady wild-West fantasy. Let's make sure that we live that as well as talking it.

Again, kudos to the OP for stepping forward like this. I do know what it feels like, but it was the Right Thing.

regards,

GR

===================================================
* or some other innocent party's life/limb, depending on local/state law.

** You do know where that line came from, don't you?

Rey

imported post

No, I don't know if he was carrying or not, and traffic was thick as always during the evening commute. It's definitely been an eye-opener, and for sure I'd do things differently.

PT111

imported post

Just curious, what charges was the other fellow facing? I had a teen-ager driving along with his radio blasting and talking on his phone run me off the road moving over into my lane. With my horn blowing full blast he just kept coming and I slammed on brakes to miss him. At the red light I got out and ran up to his door yelling. Was I facing charges for doing that?

Appears to me you got very lucky that the cops were in a hurry to get to the doughnut shop and not carry you to jail. Must not have been regular Fairfax LEO.

IanB

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
HankT wrote: after ten months.

Oh c'mon Doug...

Did you really think he was gone? He's like Golum, always watching in the shadows... waiting for just the right thread to make an appearance in.

fully stealth

imported post

Dear BUBB4H,

I too am happy, not only that things worked out as best they could and they were not worse, but that you have given the situation much mature thought and reflection. I think reading your entry was an eye opener for all. It only confirms my mental practice that more is expected of me as a CC licensee, and that I am right in conditioning myself to be more tolerant and less reactive. Also, the cell phone lesson here is huge. May we all come away with a strong conviction to resist the temptation to use the phone while we are driving. With ourlives being so busy, we look for every opportunity to accomplish as much as we can. Cell phone use while driving has the potential to create a life-time of regret. I thank God that all involved in your situation are well and may we readers continue to learn from it.

David.Car

imported post

Might be slightly off topic, but another reason why you should always lock your doors when you are in your car.

Everytime my GF is driving I make sure she locks her door, and she hates it, says it annoys her, but if it should ever happen, you don't want the guy running up to your car to just be able to throw your door open.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Slayer of Paper wrote:
This brings up one of my biggest pet peaves, and shows why it's such a bad idea: talking on the phone while driving. DON'T DO IT!
I shouldn't take on my cell phone while driving because some lunatic I might accidentally cut off might jump out of his car at a stoplight and start threatening me whereas if I was not talking on my cell phone when I accidentally cut him off he would just stay in his car and maybe yell an obscenity?

There may be a relationship between "I was driving like an idiot" and "talking on my cell phone with my fiance" between the simultaneous occurrence or there may not be but certainly, the "driving like an idiot" unless caused by "talking on my cell phone with my fiance" was the real problem here.

Prophet

imported post

I do not know the laws very well in VA, but I would think that SHOOTING him would have been excessive because you're life was not clearly in danger. But using your firearm as a deterrent? How could that be wrong. Maybe he had a gun and was waiting for you to get out of your car to draw it...or a knife...or a blackjack.

Maybe he just wanted to drag you from your car and beat you to death.

I don't see anything wrong with your actions (save for the poor driving and cell phone use).

Back in the army, often times bull$hit rules of engagement dictate that we have to actually be fired at before we can respond. Must Virginians have to wait to have a few heat rounds fly by your head before they can at least prepare to defend themselves?

The more I think about it, the police are telling you that when some irate road raging maniac comes flying out of his car and runs up to your vehicle you must wait until be presents his gun (or weapon) before you can draw yours. That just seems ass backwards because at that point...its most likely too late.

jopencarry

Banned
imported post

sounds like a legitimate use of your weapon.

ya you're brandishing but thats the ******* point. some assholes screams at you running up to your car saying stuff like he is going to fight you.

Dustin

imported post

A guy get's out of his car, yelling and screaming, and rushing towards you.

You drawing, is saying, "I'm not the one to mess with today buddy" !

I see no issue IMO.

For someon to have the balls to get out of their vehicle at a traffic light, and threaten someone else. That's the same balls it takes to break into someone's home and NOT expect to get shot.

Driving off could have been better, but you can consider that next time, hoprfully there is no next time.

Drive Safe ;)and you'll more than likely never have that happen again :)

It's all about situational awareness :cool: