• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How many OC in our Great Country?

MOS11C

imported post

I am new to the forum and happy to post here. :)

I'm a Floridian and as most of you know Florida is not an open-carry State.

I've beencarrying concealed for close to 20 years.

I'm curious to know what would be a good estimate to quote on the number of folks who OC in the USA. I searhed but couldn't find an answer.

The reason I ask is because in the many years that I've been fighting against gun control, human and civil rights violationsand RKBA constitutional rights infringements there have been a few instances where I've found myself defending the rights of others that OC while I don't OC myself. ;)

I have to tell you that when it comes to the RKBA, in my view, it is absolute...no matter what form is used to exercise it.

David.Car

imported post

There is no number because it would be impossible to even guess remotely accurately. It requires no license, so you can't track it by applications for an OC license.

Any guess would just be that... A guess... And most likely wouldn't even be close.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Since OC requires no 'permit' (many states) there's no way to know. Arizona is Open Carry. Not everyone does... (CC either).

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I wish I knew the answer to the OP question. We have bandied that topic around a bit in other threads. In shall issue states typically 1-3% of the population has a CC permit/license. The daily OC number is certainly less than that, but then daily CC is less than the total number of permits/licenses issued. The occasional OC number is going to be probably in a similar range in rural areas, certainly less in urban areas.

MOS11C

imported post

Darn. It would've been nice to shove some "millions" in the face of the "antis" but

I understand it's an untraceable statistic.

Thanks all for your replies. :)

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Here's a thought. when argueing with an anti-gunner, ask them how many instances there have been of OC'er drawing down on each other, just to see who is quicker on the draw? How many "Shoot outs in the street" have been conducted by people carrying guns openly in holsters?

Ask them why it is that most of the "shoot outs in the streets" have been happening in areas where themost restrictivegun control laws are in place. In case they balk at that question, remind them that those "drive by shootings", pulled off by gangbangersare actually modern day "shoot outs in the streets".

WheelGun

imported post

There is a provision in NY State Pistol License handbooks that say a licensed pistol must be concealed unless you are at the range or afield in a legal hunting area.

If I go to an area (I live way upstate NY) that is commonly used for hunting, I have my hunting license displayed and I have my pistol on my hip. That's about it for around here.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Where do you define 'Great Country' that narrows the land area greatly.
You loose the entire NE, and west seabord, plus a lot of great lake area.

I always put down 'third world', for country on forms when required to fill
out, real upset they removed native american from most.

Now if you use the liberal gobments methods, add up arrests, multiply by
1000+, and start throwing money at the problem.

Do you coun't leo OC's?:uhoh:

WheelGun

imported post

I don't know the context of what you are quoting, but there are some hidden gems in the northeast. Vermont, despite being the home of Ben and Jerry's, is as pure a 2A state as you can get. New Hampshire and Maine and Penn are not far behind. I OC's through Connecticut on I-95 recently, witnessed and helped out at anaccident (I'm an EMT) and got intoCT State trooper car to fill out a report with my 38 snubby in plain sight. I know hesaw it (who could not have) but he didn't even raise an eyebrow.

New York (my state) isprobably the worst for non-residents (believe me the upstate voters do not agree with the complete restrictions on NY non-res carry one bit) but for an upstate resident who never ever needs to goto NYC or NJ ever again, my pistol license combined with a hunting license gives quite an opportunty to not worry about concealment especially in the vast tracts of woods up here.

When the tourists are in town its a different story.