Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Couple of OC questions...

  1. #1
    Regular Member leitung's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Port Orchard, Washington, USA
    Posts
    151

    Post imported post

    I live in the People's Republik of Comiiefornistan.. Anyway, I visit Nevada often. I am looking to OC for the first time. I am pretty nervous about it, so I am thinking about a short trip to Cabela's in Reno for starters, then I am gonna be back for the November gun show. I know carrying in the show probably won't fly because they are gonna zip tie my gun. But outside the show, and the fact that I am going to be staying in Carson City have me thinking about OC'ing my Glock 19 while outside the show.

    Pretty basic questions,

    1) I am 19 going on 20 on the 22nd, I am of legal age to OC correct?

    2) I understand it's legal for non Nevada residents to OC?

    3) How much do I have to worry about a confrontation with an LEO in the Reno/Carson City area?

    Non related Q:

    4) I am looking to move to Nevada, and I plan on checking out how much rent for a 1 bdrm apt is, any idea on what a fair rate is for a decent place in a decent neighborhood is in Carson?

    Considering the ****tty laws I live under now, Nevada is looking pretty good!









  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    129

    Post imported post

    leitung wrote:
    Pretty basic questions,

    1) I am 19 going on 20 on the 22nd, I am of legal age to OC correct?

    2) I understand it's legal for non Nevada residents to OC?

    3) How much do I have to worry about a confrontation with an LEO in the Reno/Carson City area?

    Non related Q:

    4) I am looking to move to Nevada, and I plan on checking out how much rent for a 1 bdrm apt is, any idea on what a fair rate is for a decent place in a decent neighborhood is in Carson?

    Considering the ****tty laws I live under now, Nevada is looking pretty good!
    1) NRS 202.300 1. ... a child under the age of 18 years shall not handle or have in his possession or under his control, ... any firearm of any kind ...

    Full text: http://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRs/NRS-2...l#NRS202Sec300

    This section is the only age limit on possession I know of. Later in the section it says 14+ can carry under certain circumstances (hunting, target practice at a range, etc). You must be 21+ for a CCW permit. At least 1 person that posts here has mentioned being 19 or 20, so they can tell you about their experiences.


    2) The answer is: Absolutely. There are no laws in Nevada restricting carrying a firearm for non-residents only. Schools, govt buildings, child care facilities, etc are off limits to residents too. Nevada likes tourists, and doesn't like to discriminate against them. When you turn 21 you can even get a non-resident CCW.

    I can't help you with questions 3 or 4, but I'm sure someone will be along shortly that can.

    As far as moving out of Kommiefornia, cool. I did it 6 years ago. Best choice I ever made.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    524

    Post imported post

    leitung wrote:
    Pretty basic questions,

    1) I am 19 going on 20 on the 22nd, I am of legal age to OC correct?


    If you are legal to own/possess the firearm in question you are legal (IMHO - IANAL) to OC it in Nevada. This falls under federal law. How did you acquire the firearm? IfI didnot wish to answer this question, if asked by a LEO, I would leave the gun at home.

    Ken

  4. #4
    Regular Member leitung's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Port Orchard, Washington, USA
    Posts
    151

    Post imported post

    I recieved the gun as a gift from a parent..



    Thanks for answers.. From what I am reading it looks like OC encounters with LEO are rare in that area. Thats given me a little more confidence..

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    524

    Post imported post

    leitung wrote:
    I recieved the gun as a gift from a parent..



    Thanks for answers.. From what I am reading it looks like OC encounters with LEO are rare in that area. Thats given me a little more confidence..
    You should be OK.

    Ken

  6. #6
    Activist Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Reno, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    1,713

    Post imported post

    Correct, its perfectly legal to open carry at your age.

    I am younger than you and open carry through Reno all the time.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Susanville, California, USA
    Posts
    529

    Post imported post

    HI All,

    I have a question from a Californian, when carrying in Navada, I'm assuming its LOADED, is this correct ?

    In Cal open carry is legal but unloaded, except in Unincorperated areas and prohibited areas.

    So I'm believing Navada is LOADED open carry is this true ?

    Thanks in advance ! Robin47



  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    129

    Post imported post

    Yes, loaded. Full mag + 1 in the pipe.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Susanville, California, USA
    Posts
    529

    Post imported post

    Thanks Anakins Kid !

    Headed to Reno tonight ! Robin47

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Henderson, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    275

    Post imported post

    Robin47 wrote:
    Thanks Anakins Kid !

    Headed to Reno tonight ! Robin47
    How'd it go???

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Susanville, California, USA
    Posts
    529

    Post imported post

    Yeah Icode,

    It went well, hard to believe coming from Cal, but in Navada they have thinking people there, and can make smart choices.

    I love Navada !

    Yeah meet-up with Feild Maximus, at Boomtown and we talked a long time and all

    the people there never ever noticed or Its no big deal !

    Feild Maximus a nice young man and really knows the laws in Navada, and is smart as a whip !

    See ya all later ! Robin47

  12. #12
    Regular Member leitung's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Port Orchard, Washington, USA
    Posts
    151

    Post imported post

    Cool! I am gonna do it next time I am up there. Last question, I have my gun openly carried on my belt, and I am driving in my car, is that legal?

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sparks, Nevada, United States
    Posts
    177

    Post imported post

    Robin47 wrote:
    Yeah Icode,

    It went well, hard to believe coming from Cal, but in Navada they have thinking people there, and can make smart choices.

    I love Navada !

    Yeah meet-up with Feild Maximus, at Boomtown and we talked a long time and all

    the people there never ever noticed or Its no big deal !

    Feild Maximus a nice young man and really knows the laws in Navada, and is smart as a whip !

    See ya all later ! Robin47
    Last time I was at Boomtown (about 2 years ago), there was a no guns posting at all enterances. I emailed them about it when I got home, and got a nice reply from the security director, but never got an indication that they signs were going to be taken down. I haven't been back since I choose to not do business with companies that post their buildings. Have the signs been taken down? That would be great if they have been!

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Henderson, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    275

    Post imported post

    Robin47 wrote:
    Yeah Icode,

    It went well, hard to believe coming from Cal, but in Navada they have thinking people there, and can make smart choices.

    I love Navada !

    Yeah meet-up with Feild Maximus, at Boomtown and we talked a long time and all

    the people there never ever noticed or Its no big deal !

    Feild Maximus a nice young man and really knows the laws in Navada, and is smart as a whip !

    See ya all later ! Robin47
    I'm glad that you had a posative experience! We Nevadan's love our freedom.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    524

    Post imported post

    leitung wrote:
    Cool! I am gonna do it next time I am up there. Last question, I have my gun openly carried on my belt, and I am driving in my car, is that legal?
    Yes. Anyplace in your car except concealed on your person.

    Ken

  16. #16
    Activist Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Reno, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    1,713

    Post imported post

    njeske wrote:
    Robin47 wrote:
    Yeah Icode,

    It went well, hard to believe coming from Cal, but in Navada they have thinking people there, and can make smart choices.

    I love Navada !

    Yeah meet-up with Feild Maximus, at Boomtown and we talked a long time and all

    the people there never ever noticed or Its no big deal !

    Feild Maximus a nice young man and really knows the laws in Navada, and is smart as a whip !

    See ya all later ! Robin47
    Last time I was at Boomtown (about 2 years ago), there was a no guns posting at all enterances. I emailed them about it when I got home, and got a nice reply from the security director, but never got an indication that they signs were going to be taken down. I haven't been back since I choose to not do business with companies that post their buildings. Have the signs been taken down? That would be great if they have been!
    Oh, it was at Bordertown that we met, not Boomtown.
    ---

    Thanks Robin for the compliments. Robin is also quitesmartand is a great guy.

  17. #17
    Activist Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Reno, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    1,713

    Post imported post

    I know you also live relatively close toBordertown njeske. Sorry we didn't invite you. When we decided we would meet at Bordertown it was only a few hours before we met, and it never occured to me at the time that you were also near by.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sparks, Nevada, United States
    Posts
    177

    Post imported post

    Felid`Maximus wrote:
    I know you also live relatively close toBordertown njeske. Sorry we didn't invite you. When we decided we would meet at Bordertown it was only a few hours before we met, and it never occured to me at the time that you were also near by.
    No problem.

    Thanks for clarifying the location. Bordertown makes a lot more sense than Boomtown.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •